Patrons of the Sacred Art

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Little white "something" in distillate.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, that still might be over my head. It's something I want to try and it looks easy enough, but I don't know what it'll tell me about "clear" chemicals without some kind of staining or reactive chemical involved.

I'm starting to question the data available on piperine. The alcohol simply isn't soaking it up anywhere near as much as the solubility on wiki claims. I mean, it tastes like piperine (super hot when isolated), looks like it (the tiny crystals), smells like it. Might be one of the related chemicals though, I suppose. The readings say it readily transforms under certain conditions, but the current sample hasn't been exposed to any kind of heat or light. It's not supposed to be as bad as garlic extract in that respect (one of my future candidates for a new tincturing system I'm developing).

As far as solid or liquid, it could well be, but it's in the same group with the rest of these things I can't filter out. Some solids just don't like to precipitate all the way, I suppose, or at least don't congeal to the point where you can filter them off. I just wonder if there are some common things that distill over across the board that might show up from manipulating a tincture with water.

Concerning solubility: What is the ethanol/water ratio of your alcohol? The wiki data is refering to 96% concentration. When having lower ratios and therefore more water is involved the solubility is reduced.

Similar things seem to happen when using the circulatum minus by Junius on fresh (water containing) plant matter. It's called the Louche-Effect. Those of you putting water into your anis shot sure have seen this.

If you need help in doing a chromatography feel free to ask.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Florius Frammel View Post
    Concerning solubility: What is the ethanol/water ratio of your alcohol? The wiki data is refering to 96% concentration. When having lower ratios and therefore more water is involved the solubility is reduced.

Similar things seem to happen when using the circulatum minus by Junius on fresh (water containing) plant matter. It's called the Louche-Effect. Those of you putting water into your anis shot sure have seen this.

If you need help in doing a chromatography feel free to ask.
    I thought about that, it's from the tincture so certainly not the proof it was when I began. I also considered there's probably some dissolved volatiles in it that might be affecting the solubility too. I haven't tried my absolute on the purified crystals. They've taken on a whitish tone (which everyone online says will happen as they get more and more pure), and the piperine seems to be the last thing picked up by fractionally soaking and filtering off. I went from ~7 grains (which looks like a lot more in a dish, but it's light) to 2 grains of pure crystals by that process alone.

Since I've already secured my tincture of piperine (from the last filtering, I'm really happy with the potency, color, and effect, it actually dissolves in a glass instead of clouding up, and it's lost some of the tinctures overtones), I might try my "absolute" on the remaining amount (~95%) and measure up how much it takes to solve it. Should only take 2-3mL according to the wiki and.. I think it was ChemSpider that verified it. Then maybe evaporate to grow some crystals.

They also didn't include temp, so they might be talking about it from yield in experiments involving soxhlet extraction.

p.s. I call 190pf "absolute" as a habit, but I haven't dried this with a dessicant, so basically as pure as I can get without.

You are right with temperature effects.
    Solid matters (earth) usually solute better in water on high temperatures (fire) whereas gases usually solute better in water on low temperatures.
    Together with acid/bases reactions and redox reactions where one particle has the giving (electron or proton; male; sulfur) and the other an accepting (female, mercury) part, there really are huge connections between alchemical symbology and chemical imaginations of one and the same reactions.
    Of course before Dalton they did not know about the concept of atoms (I know Demokrit inveted or imagined atoms way before Dalton) but the connection between this alchemical symbolism and more modern chemical explanations seem to be more than coincidence in my opinion.

+ Reply to Thread