Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What is Kundalini?

Blog Entries

What is Kundalini?

The notion of a chakra as an energy node in the human body can be found mainly in Hinduism and its spiritual systems of Yoga, and in the New Age movement.

There are seven main charkas, each with different attributes and powers, aligned from the base of the spine to the top of the head.

Wikipedia states in simple terms that...
    “...the energy that was unleashed in creation, called the Kundalini, lies coiled and sleeping, and it is the purpose of a tantric yogi to arouse this energy, and cause it to rise back up through the increasingly subtler chakras, until union with god is achieved in the Sahasrara chakra at the crown of the head.”
    In Hinduism the three principal channels, or pathways, in the human body are all represented in the Caduceus of Hermes.

The rod itself symbolizes the spinal column, the sushumna (through which the life force flows and by which means we enter and leave the body), and the two serpents conduct the spiritual currents, or pranas, along the ida and pingala channels.

This is symbolized by the double-helix pattern from the Chakra at the base, root, of the spine up to the top, the pineal gland, and the pair of wings (mercury/intellect).

The serpents represent the positive and negative energy ascending and descending from above and below.

When a serpent attacked Buddha, as the legend goes, it bound itself seven times around his waist, which could be symbolic of the seven main charkas, each with different attributes and powers, aligned from the base of the spine to the top of the head, but because of Buddha’s inner strength the serpent surrendered and became his follower. The serpent here is not a malevolent creature that Buddha masters, but instead the cosmic energy that lies coiled up inside that he gains control of.

This energy is the Kundalini, derived from a Sanskrit word meaning either coiled up, coiling like a snake or serpent power.

The Caduceus of Hermes is thought to be an ancient symbolic representation of Kundalini physiology. Kundalini, according to the Yogic tradition, is curled up in the back part of the Root Chakra (the Muladgara) in three and one-half turns around the sacrum.

Rumi, a Sufi mystic, wrote of Kundalini:

“You have the energy of the sun in you, but keep knotting it up at the base of your spine.”
    The Yogic philosophy of ancient India is the originator of the Kundalini concept, which is the mothering intelligence behind yogic awakening and spiritual maturation. Both Charles Webster Leadbeater and Carl Gustav Jung gave early western interpretations of Kundalini. There is also a connection, or similarity, with the Masonic CHiram and the Kundalini as Manly P. Hall points out in The Secret Teachings of All Ages:

“…CHiram may be considered a symbol also of the Spit Fire moving through the sixth ventricle of the spinal column. The exact science of human regeneration is the Lost Key of Masonry, for when the Spit Fire is lifted up through the thirty-three degrees, or segments of the spinal column, and enters into the domed chamber of the human skull, it finally passes into the pituitary body (Isis), where it evokes Ra (the pineal gland) and demands the Sacred Name.”
    Kundalini, Double-Helix, DNA, Hermes & Alchemy are all as intertwined as the snakes that twirl around the Caduceus. Anyway some food for thought...

Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Scientifically speaking I think Kundalini is the prime-earth energy that sustains the planet, and a natural state for humanity would be that everyone had their kundalini arised, but I suppose it will take some further evolution stages to get to that point. Scientifically speaking I think the force has to do with the emotional body and some spinal fluids and nerve synaptic endings being fired off in an unknown mechanism yet to science...

Blog Entries
    That doesn't sound crazy at all Amur!

Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

I would say kundalini is, in a sense- the energies that make us what we are.
    The way i understand it, reality as we perceive it is a bit of an illusion, as it is all just energy, vibrations and light, intricately woven through the "medium/mercury", which creates our substance/physical perception of things. So the 7 chakras/kundalini are the 7 energies that make us up in the truest sense of the statement.

I may not be wording it quite right ( ), but thats basically how i understand/think of it.

~Seth-Ra
    One fatal tree there stands of knowledge called, forbidden them to taste. Knowledge forbidden? Suspicious. Reasonless. And why should their Lord envy them that? Can it be sin to know? Can it be death? And do they stand by ignorance, is that their happy state, the proof of their obedience and their faith?

wiener roast....

The kundalini energies, when released from the confinement of the lower chakra (lead), gradually incinerate the 'animal-based / bi-pedal primate' and transforms one (gradually) into an illuminated 'Child of the Divine'.

We don't 'do' kundalini.... kundalini 'does us' (when awakened).

All of those Western 'holy pictures' of individuals with a golden solar orb behind their heads is indicative of one who has been transformed (a massive and gradual transmutation) by the kundalini energies.

The Christ of Christianity suggests (also) an individual who has had the experience of the kundalini energies rising (finally) to the heart chakra after having incinerated or otherwise purified (tamed) the 'lower beasty nature'.

The heart chakra is (opinion) the 'switch' which, when activated, turns on the 'higher powers' of the top 3 chakras which remain dormant until the heart center is awakened.

The powers of the top three chakras are 'divine powers'. This cosmology, as stated, indicates (opinion) that 'true power' remains latent until we become truly loving and kind.

The result is that the 'former self' (animal based and biologically driven) has been incinerated and, in the process, a 'new self' (a rebirth) emerges from the ashes of the old.

The 'lead' of the lower chakra has been (must be) transmuted into gold!

The desire to awaken one's kundalini is indicative of the innate disposition of a moth (a seeker of light) diving into a flame.

The awakened kundalini energies transform the human body (initially) into the crucible in which the alchemical processes are performed.

Last edited by Play_Dough; 04-07-2009 at 11:29 PM.

Blog Entries
    I have some experience with kundalini.
    Some people aren't aware of the painful aspects that can
    go along with a kundalini awakening.
    My first experience was intentional. I had been taught to
    visualise the coiled serpent and to will it up my torso using dance as
    an aid. I was pretty successful. I even had red marks and flushing
    on/in the skin, a line, wavy just like a serpent, going up my back.
    And my chest had a large red circle, an area flushed with blood and
    energy. Energy responds to consciousness.
    A couple days later I felt sick with a fever and my hips and every muscle
    and joint in my legs were aching very painfully, so much so that I couldn't
    walk for a couple days, then I hobbled around in pain. The fire in the
    hips and legs is indicative of the first seal being broken, or the first
    chakra as some put it, being opened and worked through.

That was several years ago, and coincidentally, I am having the
    experience again now - that is, over the past few days, only not quite as
    intense...
    I'm quite certain that this is related to my ingesting of the urine soap-
    antimony-dead sea salt elixir that I posted about.
    This past friday I had just been hanging around the house reading and
    stuff, but I was taking quite a bit of the elixir for about a week, and my
    legs and lower back were feeling sore. I thought it might be related to
    some activities in the prior week - I had ridden several roller coasters
    during my vacation to St. Louis, MO. But when I went to bed that night
    it got worse and there was no comfortable position to be found. It kept
    me up for most the night and that's when I recalled the similarities to
    the intentional kundalini experience. It stretched into the next day and
    finally disappeared, and I kept taking the elixir. And now a couple days
    later, that is last night and today, the kundalini has physically moved up
    into my chest and arms and hands and neck and ears and head a little,
    but I'm intending to do more focus to bring it to the top.
    But it was kind of scary, cuz again I didn't realise what was happening
    at first and my chest was just getting really sore and it hurt to breathe
    deeply. I wondered if there was something wrong with my lungs or my
    heart. And then I had an inspired thought that perhaps it was my thymus
    (the ductless endocrine gland related to the fourth seal/chakra) opening
    up. Hudson had spoken of this with m-states. Then it started to spread.
    I could feel the familiar aching, now between my shoulder blades and it
    began to spread down my arms and into my wrists (really painful!) and
    out my fingers and palms. Then a few hours later it was trying to move
    up my throat and my chin felt connected to my chest. I can feel a fever
    in my hands, arms, neck and face... and ears. My ears and arms turned
    red at points in the process.
    I finally got home and I decided to go ahead and push it and take some
    more elixir. At first my chest started to feel pain again but then it opened
    up and I could feel the energy going out instead of pressing down. After
    a half hour or so all the sore spots turned into heat spots and have
    mellowed out as i am writing now.

I'll keep you posted on any further effects.

Something that I have spoken of in a Castaneda forum long ago is my
    certainty the what he called "losing the human form" is the kundalini
    experience. Only in his experience the energy, which he describes as
    a coiling or rolling up of a carpet, went from his head down to his feet
    and that's where it ended. His experience was very painful, as was
    La Gorda's. CC said her relation of the experience sounded like she
    was having a heart attack, which crossed my mind today. CC thought
    he might be having a stroke whe he had his.
    You can read about these experiences and descriptions of the human
    form in the books "The Second Ring of Power" (pg 156 in my large
    paperback version) and CC's experience in "The Eagle's Gift" (pg. 111
    in the small paperback). The books are online too if you want to search.

I recall Itzak Bentov had an interesting theory on kundalini.
    Here - I searched it:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/13988128/P...anda-Saraswati

Quote Originally Posted by deviadah View Post
    That doesn't sound crazy at all Amur!

I'm a scientist ffs, I don't satisfy easily

kundalini

edited....
    Quote Originally Posted by solomon levi View Post
    I have some experience with kundalini.
    Some people aren't aware of the painful aspects that can
    go along with a kundalini awakening.
    I read through your complete post twice and also read the 'link material' and (earlier) I read Castaneda's masterpieces. (I also read some of your previous and excellent estatic M-state accounts).

I understand that kundalini 'movement' can be quirky and unquantifiable.

Your first account surely seems authentic (and remarkable), the second account may be authentic but it is the 2nd episode that, kind of, raised a small red-flag in my mind.
    My primary concern is that you are not poisoning yourself. (?)

I have had some 'mild' kundalini experiences but nothing that comes close to either of your experiences (as related).

I like to believe that whenever one has a kundalini experience, regardless of any transitory difficulty (pain, discomfort, disorientation, etc, etc.) that the result of the experience is to leave a permanent 'gift'. Something like, feeling physically 'lighter', a cathartic experience producing a new level of emotional comfort, a release (letting go) of pent-up negative energy, an intellectual break-through, realizations, some kind of 'advancement' where some 'obscurity' leaves.

In other words, it's not an event that simply 'comes and goes' but, instead, leaves a permanent 'gift'.

My impulse (re: your post) was to (socratic comments because of their highly personal nature) consider the presence of any chemical medications in your system or some aspect of diet (more chem) that may be partially producing some of the result(s) that you have related.

The 'thought stuff' (i.e., my heart, my lungs, etc.) can be accumulated 'sub-conscious' anxiety-related issues that the experience magnified and (?) released from you. Nevertheless, some of your account is also consistent with (my opinion) poisoning. I surely hope that is not the case.

Did you receive a 'gift'.... or just experienced the physical discomfort which gradually faded? I know that these experiences can be 'wiggy' and take many forms.

I suppose that the purpose of my reply is an attempt to establish some kind of 'litmus-test' designed to legitimize these experiences as authentic. My proposed 'test' is if the experience left a 'gift' or if the only 'gift' was because the discomfort stopped.

If both of your experiences (as related) were actual kundalini events, then what were they showing you?
    Sometimes 'red spots', or soreness or stiffness can show that we are not drinking enough good pure water and, perhaps are consuming too much coffee, too much sugar, too much red meat, etc.

So, if these experiences are legitimate kundalini events then (maybe) the energies are too tied up handling (compensating for) imbalances present in your diet.

The sensation of 'stiffness' (as described) in the body is also (can be) an experience of consciousness 'leaving the body' which (the body) starts to feel like a rock... and continues until either the experience subsides or 'death' occurs and consciousness exits....

I'm gonna 'go-for-it' and suggest that you consider revising your diet with the goal of getting chemical-free and well-lubricated by drinking enough pure water. Then, I bet, that your next kundalini experience will be more 'transcendental' instead of a reminder that cumulative 'errors' have produced the result of 'torture chamber' instead of limber and flexible movement.

So, yes, the kundalini experiences can be painful, but if so, they are 'showing you something important' and it is my present belief that incremental improvements in diet are indicated.

Please take care (and forgive me if I am off-base).

I have enjoyed many of your previous posts...... many of which, I have found to be like a solitary finger pointing at something remarkable and worth investigating.

Last edited by Play_Dough; 06-04-2009 at 07:50 AM.
    "As Above, So Below" except for cappuccino.

Blog Entries
    Thanks PlayDough.
    I don't take any offense. Your post was written pretty objectively from what I could see.
    It is a conundrum - I'm not sure a litmus test can be created for this. If Bentov was right, look how many people end up in a psychiatric hospital instead of being assisted. How could we test it? How much money would be involved in medical scans and tests where the doctors aren't even taught anything about kundalini to recognise it if it's there? For me, I have to just trust my spirit, and that's what I recommend to others. If I'm meant to die by poisoning myself without realising it then that probably can't be prevented. If I stopped ingesting the elixir when I first questioned if I was poisoning myself, I probably would not have had the second kundalini episode, if that is what it was/is. So I'll go on since I haven't had any significant impressions to stop - I've only had fears or concerns, which are reasonable - this is new to me. If I hadn't had the previous kundalini experience and hadn't read others accounts of m-state initiating kundalini experiences, I probably would have stopped.

I think that when a person gives up their life to things of spirit in a definite way, not just a mental decision - but acts of purpose and intent - spirit acknowledges that and we can be removed from the "ordinary" timeline which leads from birth to death and placed on a magical "timeline" that has no definite conclusion. I think that spirit values such individuals, searches for them, to re-begin the Great Work - making known the unknown. And as long as one is "alive" in the spiritual sense, I don't believe that accidents can happen - only purpose. So I have to trust myself with this. I'm sure you understand. So thank you for your sincere post.

As of today, I slept probably 12 hours and awoke with pressure behind the eyes and in the ears, like they need to pop, but they still haven't popped yet after a couple hours - the eyes feel some relief though.

I do drink some really good water. Have you ever heard of alchemical stir wands? They really work as far as oxidising the blood and everything. And I've tested it with an oximeter on myself and my parents. My mom had an aneurism last year and needed to be on oxygen for a while, but my dad got the stir wand and it really worked fast.

Let me see if I can search it:
    www.quantumbalancing.com/stirwand.htm

I got the "gourmet" wand which is supposed to make things taste better, which it did - I don't use it for that much anymore - but also is supposed to have some spiritual effects, which it did at first, but I think I plateaued on them.

I suppose I call them alchemical because the guy who invented them lives on Crater Lake which has plenty of volcanic material obviously and I'm pretty sure I read that he was involved with someone making m-states for a time, but I don't recall where - you can google him and find out more if you like.
    When you apply a magnet to the stir wand, the black material that is spread throughout the greyish material will be drawn to the magnet.
    Last edited by solomon levi; 06-04-2009 at 07:18 PM.

edited ....
    Quote Originally Posted by solomon levi View Post
    Thanks Play_Dough.

I think that when a person gives up their life to things of spirit in a definite way, not just a mental decision - but acts of purpose and intent - spirit acknowledges that and we can be removed from the "ordinary" timeline which leads from birth to death and placed on a magical "timeline" that has no definite conclusion. I think that spirit values such individuals, searches for them, to re-begin the Great Work - making known the unknown. And as long as one is "alive" in the spiritual sense, I don't believe that accidents can happen - only purpose. So I have to trust myself with this. I'm sure you understand. So thank you for your sincere post.
    I agree.

I do wish to make one additional comment/observation.

You have made a significant contribution to 'the historical records' of alchemy.
    It seems that you have embraced all significant aspects of 'The Art' and have cared enough to document your findings and results. As such, you have earned your place in history.

My hat is off to you solomon levi.

"As Above, So Below" except for cappuccino.

+ Reply to Thread