Patrons of the Sacred Art

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Just STOP it!

Blog Entries

Just STOP it!

What types of stoppers do you use in your work, and why?

It seems different matetials have advantages and disadvantages.

Has anyone tried these "high temp silicon stoppers"?
    Last edited by elixirmixer; 02-03-2018 at 06:43 AM.
    Join me; on a voyage of stupidity, and self discovery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=vccZSHroTG4

I would not use rubber stoppers when using organic solvents like for example ethanol. Silicon is a good choice in most and basic works in the vegetable kingdom because the material does not interact with those solvents easily. Working in the mineral kingdom and especially with strong acids/alkalis I'd use glass stoppers. I think in former times they might have used clay or mixtures of clay with lineseed oil. At least they used it to lute their distillation devices with that material as it seems to be pretty inert.

Glass stoppers for all of my chemlab stuff, plastic film under the lids of jars.

Quote Originally Posted by Florius Frammel View Post
    I would not use rubber stoppers when using organic solvents like for example ethanol. Silicon is a good choice in most and basic works in the vegetable kingdom because the material does not interact with those solvents easily. Working in the mineral kingdom and especially with strong acids/alkalis I'd use glass stoppers. I think in former times they might have used clay or mixtures of clay with lineseed oil. At least they used it to lute their distillation devices with that material as it seems to be pretty inert.
    Rubber stoppers seem to resist ethanol and other alcohol vapors well. Hydrochloric acid vapors and chlorine gas don't seem to do much of anything to them either. Acetic acid vapors, on the other hand, will damage them over prolonged periods of exposure. And nitric acid vapors will soon start damaging them, even more so when hot.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Rubber stoppers seem to resist ethanol and other alcohol vapors well.
    I’ve experiences the same thing.

Materials I’ve used as stoppers while working with plants:
    Cork
    Rubber
    Glass
    Glass sealed with wax
    Glass with thin layer of PTFE tape (for distillations)
    Plastic

For organic acids, I use glass stoppers without anything else. But for this I make sure there is adequate ventilation.
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

Blog Entries
    I'm just wondering, if dealing with The Secret solvent, is the silicone going to hold out? I'm not sure which of you have worked with this stuff before but I'm sick of "knowing" but not "doing" and I've gone SM obsessive again.

Another thanks for all of your participation.
    Join me; on a voyage of stupidity, and self discovery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=vccZSHroTG4

I use Schott Duran lab bottles for storage with Polybutylene Terephthalate (PBT)screw caps with PTFE faced silicone liner.

The PTFE is resistant to most things but not all.

I use the following:

1) Glass
    2) Cork
    3) Plastic

For jars, I'll generally use Glad Press'n Seal before plastic. I prefer cork but understand some of the limitations including the fact that it's a real pain to 'drill' a hole in cork. I've been considering rubber and glad to see that you guys use it too.

Haven't tried the silicone stoppers.

Blog Entries
    Even with your work with Adam, Schmuldvich? I would have thought you would be using cork?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    I use Schott Duran lab bottles for storage with Polybutylene Terephthalate (PBT)screw caps with PTFE faced silicone liner.

The PTFE is resistant to most things but not all.
    This is me also.

+ Reply to Thread