Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Just STOP it!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiorionis View Post
    The second video mentions annealing the glass. I’m pretty sure I read something about putting the fresh-melted glass in a kiln for awhile to anneal. Could be wrong though. Also, probably not relevant.
    Its very relevant, if you do not anneal your glass than chances of it spontaneously shattering are made very real.
    Join me; on a voyage of stupidity, and self discovery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=vccZSHroTG4

Quote Originally Posted by elixirmixer View Post
    Its very relevant, if you do not anneal your glass than chances of it spontaneously shattering are made very real.
    Borosilicate is QUITE friendly. A proper annealing is done with a klink (if it is electrical, that's better... but only because you have a somehow perfect control of the temperature).

This is done by heating to 560C the glass for an hour, but it should take some 4 hours to arrive there and some other 4 hours to slowly decrease the temperature.

IF we are talking about a completely sealed vessel with a twisted neck, then it would ONLY be reasonable to do it if it has a partial vacuum (i.e, a low pressure)... otherwise heating it to 560C would make it explode and it would be better not to anneal it.

If you do not have a klink, then you can still find Ceramic shops / ateliers that rent the use of their klink (no, you don't take the klnk home, they do the whole thing following your instructions). You would probably asked to pay a bit more than the average price, because 560C is not really a temperature that anyone uses for ceramic... and in a normal situation you do not give them glass, but ceramic... and you share their klink with other persons who also need to cook whatever they have done using ceramic.

+ Reply to Thread