Patrons of the Sacred Art

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Just STOP it!

Blog Entries
    Why did you delete your glass-stopper post?
    Join me; on a voyage of stupidity, and self discovery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=vccZSHroTG4

Quote Originally Posted by elixirmixer View Post
    Even with your work with Adam, Schmuldvich? I would have thought you would be using cork?
    Quote Originally Posted by elixirmixer View Post
    Why did you delete your glass-stopper post?
    Uneasiness

Mopd Note: Spin-Off topic continued here: Secrecy & Alchemical Initiations

--------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Andro; 02-05-2018 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Thread topic managenent.

I usually sacrifice the glass. I heat the top with a gas torch and twist it off.

mutus10.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Luxus View Post
    I usually sacrifice the glass. I heat the top with a gas torch and twist it off.

Attachment 1006

What do you have inside your flask, Luxus?

Do you do this with boroscillate glassware?

How difficult is it too accomplish this?

I am very interested!

Blog Entries
    All you need is a pair of pliars or scissors and a glass-torch.
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

I have used quartz glass mostly but I think borosilicate would also work (I guess you could use plastic also as long as it melts rather then burns). You just need the glass to melt rather then shatter.
    It is easy to accomplish as long as the neck is not too short or wide. What you need is a globe with a long narrow neck. I place a wet cloth over the globe and begin heating the neck at the point I want to cut off the globe whilst rotating it so it is heated all the way around. Next I just grab the upper end of the neck with a thick dry cloth and twist it slowly whilst pulling it off. Its like caramel or hot toffee. I do wonder what type of glass old alchemists used as they did this with a much colder spirit lamp (as you can see in mutus liber).

I cannot say what starting matter I use as it is forbidden by the law that binds all alchemists.

http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showt...l-glass-flasks

Regarding the glass available to the alchemists: they used "soda-lime" types of glass.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmuldvich View Post
    Uneasiness
    Riiiiiiight lol. Don't want to give away the big glass stopper secret ey? Hahahaha.
    Join me; on a voyage of stupidity, and self discovery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=vccZSHroTG4

Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showt...l-glass-flasks

Regarding the glass available to the alchemists: they used "soda-lime" types of glass.
    Thanks for that, so this glass I can melt with a simple lamp? Regular glass bottles/jars are made from sodium glass right, that glass cracks if you try to melt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Luxus View Post
    Thanks for that, so this glass I can melt with a simple lamp? Regular glass bottles/jars are made from sodium glass right, that glass cracks if you try to melt it.
    Yes, modern glass jars/bottles used for packaging food & beverages are similar types of glass as those available to the alchemists. Those types of glass have lower melting & softening points than borosilicate glasses. They are also more sensitive to thermal shock. The alchemists heated their glasses very gradually to avoid fracture. If strong temperatures were to be used, and no clay vessels were available, they would coat their glasses with refractory materials (usually mixtures involving sand and clay) in order to make a "shell" that would hold the glass and prevent it from deforming and eventually "oozing" to the bottom of the furnace. The refractory shell also helps diminish the thermal shock to the glass, since it is not directly exposed to the heat (it reaches the refractory shell first, and from there it gradually moves on to the glass.)

+ Reply to Thread