Patrons of the Sacred Art

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Honey mead the drink of kings

Honey mead the drink of kings

Honey Mead is famous among early European legends for two things (other then getting drunk)

1 poetic inspiration the idea being that rather then being a drink which inebriates and dulls the mind it inspires one with spiritual/philosophical insight. In Norse legends whoever consumes it becomes a skald (scholar).

2 Drinking mead extends ones life or ever revives one who is near death, such legends are found in Ireland.

Looking further into the production of this alcoholic beverage it became clear to me why it was the drink of Kings.

The general process:

First rainwater is gathered and left in containers to mature for some years. We are talking about a time before any environmental pollution obviously.

Next wild honey is gathered and mixed with the matured rainwater.

The mixture is left near the warmth of an open fire to ferment.

Then the honey mead is irradiated with strong sunlight for 40 days during the "dog days" July-August.

Herbs were often blended into the mead to enhance taste, invigoration, inspiration.

This drink is clearly superior to beer which is the drink of mass consumption today. Beer is often associated with manliness but in fact it has a feminising effect on males. Hops contains powerful phytoestrogens (as does Soy products) which robs a man of his virility and replaces them with a beer gut, man boobs and low libido. Furthermore the broken-down grain releases further estrogen during digestion adding to the effect.

I cant help thinking that the promotion of this manly drink might actually be deliberate.

We should create a real Manly drink dump herbs in it that increases hormone production, increases blood flow, antioxidants, anti-inflammatorys, mental alertness and fill it with the light of the Sun! How much would the powers that be resent us if such a drink became popular among the masses they would much rather you stuck to that feminising beer and fluorinated tap water!

I have to recommend pine pollen as an additive if you are trying to up the manliness factor. It contains (and in some species pretty much IS) testosterone. That ought to man-up your fru-fru honey-and-herb concoction quite a bit!! :P

That last bit was tongue in cheek, obviously. Meade has long been on my list of "the next thing I'm going to brew up," and yet somehow, I have yet to actually make a batch. Things are changing this year for me though, so we'll see if I mix some up this summer or not. Do you think fermenting in the sun is good for the end product? When I did wine, I mostly kept it away from the light, in a dark closet. I worry that too much sun my bleach the little fermenting bugs to death.

I am compiling a list of herbs sure to fill the balls with fire...I'm going to mass produce it and cause havoc across the lands

First you ferment it near an open fire in the relative dark, once the fermentation is complete you irradiate it with strong sunlight for 40 days. Yes the UV would halt fermentation if you did the sun irradiation first!

Another question is what is the effect of sunlight irradiation on alcohol, perhaps it transmutes some of its negative effects?

Quote Originally Posted by Luxus View Post
    Another question is what is the effect of sunlight irradiation on alcohol, perhaps it transmutes some of its negative effects?
    I suppose that's possible but unlikely. I never bother about "hiding" my liquor from the sun. Do you plan on doing any further spagyrical operations to the drink, a little salt to mix with the sweet perhaps? Salts definitely counteract some of alcohol's "negative" effects. I wonder if sunlight has any effects on methanol, however. As I understand, it shows up in all brewed beverages to some fiddling small concentration or another.

Blog Entries
    Sunlight will cause certain phytochemicals to break down
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Luxus View Post
    Another question is what is the effect of sunlight irradiation on alcohol
    Check out this thread: Pulsating Alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon's Tail View Post
    I suppose that's possible but unlikely. I never bother about "hiding" my liquor from the sun. Do you plan on doing any further spagyrical operations to the drink, a little salt to mix with the sweet perhaps? Salts definitely counteract some of alcohol's "negative" effects. I wonder if sunlight has any effects on methanol, however. As I understand, it shows up in all brewed beverages to some fiddling small concentration or another.
    We really dont know the details of how this sun exposure was done, not all aspects of Sunlight is contained in electromagnetism there are vital etheric currents coming from the Sun also. I doubt they could make large glass bottles at that period. Did they brew it in skins, wood barrels, earthenware jars, sheet metal containers.

I have never read anything about them adding salt to the mix, there are salts high in a wide spectrum of minerals e.g Shilajit which have invigorating effect but unfortunately taste terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiorionis View Post
    Sunlight will cause certain phytochemicals to break down
    Again we know that they added herbs but not at what stage of the process. I was thinking of adding them at the end of the process essentially producing a mead/herbal tincture.

Quote Originally Posted by Andro View Post
    Check out this thread: Pulsating Alcohol.
    Very strange indeed if true!

+ Reply to Thread