Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Himalayan Salt Extraction

Blog Entries

Himalayan Salt Extraction

So I had to use my ether to prevent near certain death and I decided to try and see what ether could pull out of Himalayan pink salt.

I extracted two different salts.

Certainly not NaCl.

One has a very random crystal arrangement. The other, are 4 sided pyramid shapes. (5 including the base)

I'm no where near setting up my Gas-chromo so I have no idea what they are. But i was glad to find pyramids. They look really cool under the microscope
    Join me; on a voyage of stupidity, and self discovery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=vccZSHroTG4

Really neat! I bet the crystals are beautiful!

Remember, everybody loves pictures!

Pictures are better than descriptions!

Blog Entries
    I tried to get some but my photographic microscope is on the fritz. And again, without internet to my computer I can't upload, sorry. I'll try and take photos of all the stuff I'm doing so that when I finally get my internet back then I'll just do a mass upload.

Does anyone know what these could be?? *cough* jdp *cough*
    Join me; on a voyage of stupidity, and self discovery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=vccZSHroTG4

Quote Originally Posted by elixirmixer View Post
    I tried to get some but my photographic microscope is on the fritz. And again, without internet to my computer I can't upload, sorry. I'll try and take photos of all the stuff I'm doing so that when I finally get my internet back then I'll just do a mass upload.

Does anyone know what these could be?? *cough* jdp *cough*
    http://www.saltnews.com/chemical-ana...omment-page-1/

You likely have extracted some of the other compounds present in this salt.

Gonna drop my two silver dimes here, for what it's worth.

I've noticed some interesting things that go on with various salts, even common iodized NaCl (and NaCl is the major component of every salt in that part of the supermarket, no matter what color it is). On drying at various temperatures, cooking under different conditions, etc, etc, the salt comes out of the operation somehow changed.

Different crystal habits, trying to sneak out of the container at night by climbing up the walls, even seemingly volatizing (not going very far, but I've seen salt recrystallize higher in the flask than the water line while steaming in a distillation setup, and especially in my current imbibing flask which is sealed). Even common salt seems to separate into fractions where some looks like sheets of glass, some like tiny snow caps, cubic crystals with crosses, even color differences.

You actually have me wondering if I need to look more closely at some of my little squares. I get these square flakes sometimes that are not cubic. How big are these pyramids you are seeing, how tall is the point versus the base? Do they look just like the Egyptian pyramids or are they squished or elongated?

Very cool stuff either way. Impurities from the air, Impurities from the pink salt mix, dust falling in there with it, could be anything. But I'm also quite sure that even if the chromatograph says it's NaCl, there is something quite special about the reSALTs that we get in the lab

Salts climb due to capillary action drawing the saturated solution up the flask where the water evaporates and deposits crystals which in turn allow further capillary action.
    No big mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghislain View Post
    Click on the little arrow above to check out the creeping crystals here.
    Completely engulfed the outside of the glass.

Ghislain

Blog Entries
    They are like Aztec pyramids. What I mean is that they have steps (seen under microscope) and the crystals at this stage are about 1mm in diameter. The apex being about half a millimeter.

They do look like little squares with crosses on them until under scope when you can see an ancient civilization come to life.

The interesting thing about them is that I did an extract on a rather large amount of salt using about a litre or more ether, and I only got a very small amount of these pyramid salts. I'm wondering whether or not its trace amounts of goldchloride or other precious metal traces...

Still, its about the most interesting thing to come out of my lab of late. None of the pink colour of the salts were extracted. I'm going to filter and collect the pink stuff which has since dropped out of the water solution and see what that looks like under scope.

Edit: sorry forgot to mention, they are not elongated, quite symmetrical. Also they are a little hydroscopic, most of them are starting to break down from moisture in the air. I've sealed some up so that when I'm in picture mode I can show them off. They are pretty cool looking.

+ Reply to Thread