Patrons of the Sacred Art

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Physical Immortality... on THIS Earth?

Physical Immortality... on THIS Earth?

So lets say you create the philosophers stone. You consume it and now your lifespan has massively extended to hundreds if not thousands of years...is that a wonderful thing or a nightmare? What if politically the world continues to "develop" down the road it is headed?

Would you end up cutting yourself off from the masses? Would you end up walking the Earth alone as a recluse hermit for a very very long time? Would you come to envy those who die?

When you think about it the life of such a person parallels the story of the vampire blessed in some eyes cursed in others!

Its funny I remember a TV program where they interviewed people who made it to over 100 years of age...all of them said it was too long and that they are eagerly looking forward to death

I am sure you would have a choice, there must be a plethora of ways you could peacefully end it all if that was your preference.
    But having that choice, you would probably find an equal number of reasons not to do it

Mortality is not a problem for all animals on the planet, there are many that are immortal, but even they succumb to untimely ends
    due to outside influences. The lobster gets eaten by us for instance. <- not the best example

Ghislain

Quote Originally Posted by Luxus View Post
    So lets say you create the philosophers stone. You consume it and now your lifespan has massively extended to hundreds if not thousands of years...is that a wonderful thing or a nightmare? What if politically the world continues to "develop" down the road it is headed?

Would you end up cutting yourself off from the masses? Would you end up walking the Earth alone as a recluse hermit for a very very long time? Would you come to envy those who die?

When you think about it the life of such a person parallels the story of the vampire blessed in some eyes cursed in others!

Its funny I remember a TV program where they interviewed people who made it to over 100 years of age...all of them said it was too long and that they are eagerly looking forward to death

I don't buy that "I don't want to live forever, please someone shoot me!" thingy. Sounds like something out of a sci-fi movie (like Zardoz), which is fine and entertaining in fiction stories, but hardly reflects reality and how sane, logical & rational people really feel. Anyone who has lived that long and wants to die is most likely because their health is not very good, so to keep on living for much longer in such conditions would indeed become bothersome. But if you could live to be 100 or much beyond that and still retain great health and vigor, I don't think I would see anyone complaining about it! In fact, they would love to keep it going for as long as possible. Nobody in his right mind wants to take a gamble at dying. If there is such a thing as an "afterlife", then that's all fine and dandy, but what if there isn't? You want your brain, your memories, your consciousness, the very essence of who you are, to become nothing but food for the worms? Ghastly end, when you think about it. But we all "do it" because so far there has been no other choice. But cryonics might change that.

Last edited by Awani; 02-26-2018 at 05:44 PM. Reason: moved posts

Ageing Aubrey de Grey defines as the accumulation of error. This error manifests in two main ways:

1 The build-up of junk in the biological system which eventually results in error and a system component failing e.g. calcification or protein cross-linking.

2 The accumulation of DNA damage which results in defective cellular replication thus eventual malfunction.

Free radicals released by the mitochondria during energy conversion is a major cause of DNA damage.

We can deal with the cross-linking by taking L-Carnosine
    We can deal with calcification by taking vitamin K
    We can deal with inter mitochondrial free radicals by taking Q10 and N acetyl cysteine or if your more adventurous carbon 60 dissolved in olive oil.

Carbon 60 dissolved in olive oil has extended the lifespan of rats by 50% which of all the substances tested on rats thus far has had the greatest efficiency.

I agree with JDP here. I think this community is constructed of people of all different ages, is there anyone here
    who, given the choice, would choose death over life?

If you have emotional or physical problems that you are having difficulties dealing with then you may see death as
    a sort of escape, but I'm sure anyone of sound mind and body would not choose to die, irrespective of age.

For as long as I can remember I have enjoyed watching films, but I am always aware that the enjoyment is temporary
    and in a short time, perhaps an hour and a half to two hours the film will be over. I see life pretty much the same, but
    I'm still enjoying it while it lasts

On a slightly different note, communities used to look to their elders with respect, todays younger generation look at
    their elders as possible dementia cases. I guess, if you were able to live longer, losing those close to you, you may have
    a problem building social relationships, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it; give me the pill!!!

Ghislain

Quote Originally Posted by Ghislain View Post

On a slightly different note, communities used to look to their elders with respect, todays younger generation look at
    their elders as possible dementia cases. I guess, if you were able to live longer, losing those close to you, you may have
    a problem building social relationships, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it; give me the pill!!!

Ghislain
    Another fun thing to think about is how would you avoid attention, do you not think your close family, friends and neighbours would get suspicious. How long would it be before you attract the attention of the media or government. How do you deal with going to the airport and having your passport checked and explaining that yes you really are 200 years old

How long before someone wants to kill you for your pill of immortality

There are two scenarios here Luxus. One is that only you have this pill, the other is that it is readily available to all.
    I think your scenario fits with the former and in this case you would have a lot of problems, but along with that you
    would have plenty of time to find solutions

Ghislain

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Luxus View Post
    We can deal with the cross-linking by taking L-Carnosine
    We can deal with calcification by taking vitamin K
    We can deal with inter mitochondrial free radicals by taking Q10 and N acetyl cysteine or if your more adventurous carbon 60 dissolved in olive oil.
    Are you taking those, Luxus?

Quote Originally Posted by Andro View Post
    Are you taking those, Luxus?
    I have taken all of those apart from the C60, but I have taken various types of herbs too.

Blog Entries

Scene from Highlander

Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

+ Reply to Thread