Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

View Poll Results: What are your feelings toward genetic modification?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • For

4 66.67%
  • Against

2 33.33%
  • Indifferent

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Genetic Modification: Dream or Nightmare?

Genetic Modification: Dream or Nightmare?

The video below is a discussion between six panellists adept in the field of genetic research.

The main topic is about CRISPR (Clustered Regularly Interspaced Short Palindromic Repeats), but covers many other aspects of genetic modification and its implications.

You may need to pause the video and search online for a better understanding of some of the material mentioned in the video, I don’t think the speakers know how little is known about genetic engineering outside of their circle

The first four minutes of the video is a film telling us about CRISPR, where genetics is today and where it may be going.

Ghislain
    Last edited by Ghislain; 02-27-2018 at 08:06 PM.
    Open Book
    "Dogmatic Assumption Inhibits Enquiry" Rupert Sheldrake

Blog Entries
    If your interested Ghislain, biochemistry is not as difficult as you might think. You can buy DNA extraction units for supprising cheap.. the one i have is for highschool demonstration but it does the job.

This little comment does not reflect my personal views of GM; of which im for the most part completely against from my moral viewpoint.

There are positive ways to use it, but the most part of our global experimentation does not sit well with me.
    Join me; on a voyage of stupidity, and self discovery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=vccZSHroTG4

I have mixed feeling about it too Elixirmixer, as do those on the panel in the original post, but
    it is here and very interesting, if a little scary. I think the ability to mess with DNA shows us
    how careful one should be with science and hence the question, dream or nightmare?

There are many videos showing how to extract your own DNA on YouTube using salt water,
    some detergent and some alcohol. But the extraction isn't the dream/nightmare stuff, it's the
    splicing and replacing into a living organism that is.

I wonder how much natural DNA splicing went on in the primordial soup before living entities
    as we know them rose out of it? see Abiogenesis

Ghislain
    Last edited by Ghislain; 03-01-2018 at 05:35 PM.

I can't speak for the rest of the world, but I know here in the UK part of the curriculum for
    scientific studies includes a modular on ethics.

Ghislain

I found this video lurking in a previous thread I started and thought it would be just as at home here as there.

If you enjoyed Juan Enriquez' talk there are more...

Will our kids be a different species?

The next species of human

Ghislain

+ Reply to Thread