Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The Hermit

The Hermit

The Hermit is one name that he is recognized by, but I'm starting to think
    that he has several others :

Saturn, Cronos, , Father Time, Angel of Death and The Grim Reaper
    are just a few that come to mind.

Many, many years ago before I knew anything about alchemy and weird
    stuff ... I met with this charming character a few times via NDE's
    (near death experiences).

I get the feeing that about now JDP is rolling around on the floor with tears of
    laughter streaming down his cheeks. And that's' ok because before this stuff
    happened I would have laughed it off also.
    I feel I should mention at this point that prior to these NDE's my view of death
    was that everything about me wound be totally finished and the body become
    worm food.
    To me there was no God, no heaven, no hell, no religion, no eternity, no coming back 5687 times to work things out .... No, just plain old dead and gone.

The first time I met him (The Hermit) I was struck by a vehicle travelling at
    over 100 mph.

He (The Hermit) was standing at the end of the long, dark tunnel in front of the entrance to the white light, he had a white monks habit on and held a lantern with his left hand,
    his cowl was down and his grey bearded face was very visible.

We spoke for some time approx 20 minutes and then I returned back to this
    world.... surprised to find myself still in full flight after the initial impact.

When I finally hit the road, stopped rolling and sliding along, I stood up and walked
    to the side of the road ......uninjured with only a little bruising and gravel rash.
    Unfortunately the driver of the vehicle had multiple injuries and spent several
    months in hospital.

The second time we met was when The Hermit came to this world to give me very
    specific directions that would alter my coarse over the next few hours and avoid an imminent death.

The old saying about death and taxes ... there is no escaping it ...but that bit of
    guidance that was given to me has allowed me 30 plus years so far.

With those extra years I can now see a vast spectrum of possibilities that my eyes
    were closed to before.

I have often pondered why this Grim Reaper would come to my assistance in a
    life threatening situation.

I can only imagine that the Angel of Death may also be the Angel of Mercy.

If anyone has had an experience with The Hermit or any insights about him I
    would be very interested to hear.

Since you are mostly bringing the Hermit of Tarot, then your interpretation is correct.

When Tarot began to be incorporated into Hermeticism (which is quite recently actually... with Eliphas Levi), three cards of the Major Arcana became instantly correlated to the famous three grades which have been given many names across history (i.e, the Christian Gnostics called them "Hylics", "Psychics" and "Pneumatics" -and sometimes "Gnostics" instead of "Pneumatics").
    Though such thing means something similar to "materialists", "soulists", and "spiritists"...

(Soul and Spirit are a mess in our languages and quite often they get interchanged*, but they meant Psyche and Nous/Pneuma... which is by far more clear)

* i.e, for some authors the "Spirit" means for what other authors the "Soul" means and viceversa, even if the problem is the terms, because they mean the same thing...

So they are the card of the Magician to represent the Hylic, the card of the Hierophant to represent the Psychics (not "Psychics" as in "fortune tellers", but those who have contact with the Psyche/soul)... and the Hermit for the Pneumatics/Gnostics.

Not much more to say, except a "Yes, I agree with you".

Quote Originally Posted by black View Post

The Hermit is one name that he is recognized by, but I'm starting to think
    that he has several others :

Saturn, Cronos, , Father Time, Angel of Death and The Grim Reaper
    are just a few that come to mind.

Many, many years ago before I knew anything about alchemy and weird
    stuff ... I met with this charming character a few times via NDE's
    (near death experiences).

I get the feeing that about now JDP is rolling around on the floor with tears of
    laughter streaming down his cheeks.
    And that's' ok because before this stuff
    happened I would have laughed it off also.
    I feel I should mention at this point that prior to these NDE's my view of death
    was that everything about me wound be totally finished and the body become
    worm food.
    To me there was no God, no heaven, no hell, no religion, no eternity, no coming back 5687 times to work things out .... No, just plain old dead and gone.

The first time I met him (The Hermit) I was struck by a vehicle travelling at
    over 100 mph.

He (The Hermit) was standing at the end of the long, dark tunnel in front of the entrance to the white light, he had a white monks habit on and held a lantern with his left hand,
    his cowl was down and his grey bearded face was very visible.

We spoke for some time approx 20 minutes and then I returned back to this
    world.... surprised to find myself still in full flight after the initial impact.

When I finally hit the road, stopped rolling and sliding along, I stood up and walked
    to the side of the road ......uninjured with only a little bruising and gravel rash.
    Unfortunately the driver of the vehicle had multiple injuries and spent several
    months in hospital.

The second time we met was when The Hermit came to this world to give me very
    specific directions that would alter my coarse over the next few hours and avoid an imminent death.

The old saying about death and taxes ... there is no escaping it ...but that bit of
    guidance that was given to me has allowed me 30 plus years so far.

With those extra years I can now see a vast spectrum of possibilities that my eyes
    were closed to before.

I have often pondered why this Grim Reaper would come to my assistance in a
    life threatening situation.

I can only imagine that the Angel of Death may also be the Angel of Mercy.

If anyone has had an experience with The Hermit or any insights about him I
    would be very interested to hear.

Blog Entries

This guy ?
    He seemed to my small judgment, to be the God Mercury of the Pagans: against him there came running and flying with open wings, a great old man, who upon his head had an hour-glass fastened, and in his hand a hook (or scythe) like Death, with the which, in terrible and furious manner, he would have cut off the feet of Mercury.
    http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showt...cythe-and-Legs
    http://www.hermitary.com/lore/tarot-art-hermit.html
    Hephaestus ?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hephaestus

Maier does a good job in his Atalanta Fugiens.

Epigraph 42:

Nature, Reason, Experience and Reading must be the Guide, Staff, Spectacles and Lamp to him that is employed in Chemical Affairs.

Discourse 42:

There are innumerable accidents which may happen to Travellers, especially if they are to walk in the night time through dangerous and slippery places. But besides Provisions and Strength of Body, there are four things that are extremely necessary: In the first place a Skilful Guide or Companion, for if the ignorant lead the ignorant it may happen either as to the Blind that they may both fall into the Ditch, or at least they both may run into difficulties and Errors. In the next place, a Staff, by which a Remedy may be provided against the slipperiness of the way. Thirdly, good eyes, for else the way is almost as dangerous to those that are dim-sighted as to the blind. Fourthly, a Lamp or lighted Torch, by which several obstacles may be avoided, so that if any Person applies himself to the search of the Philosophical Medicine, besides strength of Body, and Money sufficient for his expenses, there are four other things requisite, to wit: Nature, Reason, Experience and Reading; for if any of these are wanting the others will be of little prevalence. For these are the four Wheels of the Philosophical Chariot, for which one of them cannot be wanting, and if it be left out it avails nothing.

Nature presupposes Natural Bodies; and Spirits as the Subjects; first ministered by Nature, upon which Art may afterwards exert itself by Preparing, Purifying, and rendering them Capable of having that produced from them, which Art proposes for its end. So the Potter takes Earth and Water; the Glassmaker ashes and Sand; a Smith Iron, Brass, Lead, Tin, Copper, Silver and Gold; a Tanner raw Hides; and so other Artists take other things.

The Chemist has regard to his Materials; theirs are known to them the very first day, but when he Begins, his are utterly unknown to him for many years, and perhaps for his whole life. Nature does indeed lay its finger upon the matters; but there are many things which obscure the impression of Nature, that it cannot be known.

Therefore the first intention must be to intimately contemplate Nature and to see how she proceeds in her operations, to this end that the natural Subjects of Chemistry, without defect or superfluity may be attained to. From whence let Nature be thy Guide and Companion of so great a journey, and follow her Footsteps. In the next place, let Reason be like a Staff which may keep the feet steady and Firm, that they may not slip nor Waver; for without reasoning, any person will be apt to fall into Error. Whence the Philosophers say, " Whatever you hear, reason upon it, whether it can be so or no. "

For no man is forced to believe or Act Impossibilities, unless he be of a Weak memory, Dull genius, and foolish Imagination to impose upon himself by taking false thing for True, and rejecting true things as False. They say likewise that they take no care of the Words that are said, but rather of the Things as they may be Understood; and that words are for Things, and not things for Words. As for example, if any man should ask if Glass may be made malleable by the Philosophical Tincture? Well, why should I not believe it, provided reason vitiates it?

Thirdly, Experience will be as spectacles by which things may be seen at a distance. These are Optic instruments invented and made by Art, to help and amend the weakness of men’s eyes. Not unlike these are all Experiments of every kind, that have been tried about the Mineral matter, whether seen or truly related, and the more these remain in the Memory the more will be drawn from thence by a man of Reason, who will compare them with themselves, and other things, that he may see what is truth, and what is not.

Fourthly, Reading does as it were, kindle a clear Lamp in the Understanding, without which there will everywhere be darkness and Thick Clouds. But the reading of Good Authors ought to be often repeated, otherwise it will not be profitable.

Kenar Bacassar in the Turba saith, " He therefore that is of an even Temper and exercises Patience without regret, will go in the right path of this Art. But he that thinks himself able sooner to reap benefit from our Books, is deceived, and it had been better for him not to have looked into or touched them.

Blog Entries
    And that's' ok because before this stuff happened I would have laughed it off also.
    Exactly.

We spoke for some time approx 20 minutes and then I returned back to this world...
    Excuse me... you cannot brush over this so easily. If you spoke for 20 minutes... tell us more...

If anyone has had an experience with The Hermit or any insights about him I would be very interested to hear.
    Hard to say, you have to give us a better idea of what this individual was like, what "he" said etc etc. Because "your" Hermit might differ... I mean Jesus could look like the Hermit. I have seen an female with a staff and a lantern (like in one of your hermit photos) during my Bwiti initiation... her name was Awani i.e. my name. Was that The Hermit? I don't know, never thought that it could be...

You should tell us more...

Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Blog Entries
    I agree with Awani, it is a very interesting story
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

Blog Entries
    My favourite part is the 20-minute time-lapse in mid air. Very cool. Its interesting how you associated the hermit with Saturn/Time, and that he appeared to have the ability to warp time around you.
    Join me; on a voyage of stupidity, and self discovery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=vccZSHroTG4

@ zoas 23

Thank you zoas for this piece from Maier, a very good read.
    This is the type of help we all need in pursuing the Great Work.

@ Kibric

This guy ?....Yes this appears to be one of his many faces.

The Old Man....clipping cupids wings.

Quote Originally Posted by Awani View Post

Excuse me... you cannot brush over this so easily. If you spoke for 20 minutes... tell us more...

Hard to say, you have to give us a better idea of what this individual was like, what "he" said etc etc. Because "your" Hermit might differ... I mean Jesus could look like the Hermit. I have seen an female with a staff and a lantern (like in one of your hermit photos) during my Bwiti initiation... her name was Awani i.e. my name. Was that The Hermit? I don't know, never thought that it could be...

You should tell us more...

Most of that time we were talking about my life experience and how I felt
    about it.

The feeling there was euphoric and to continue into the light would have
    been so very easy but because of family I chose to return to this reality.

Upon explaining this to The Hermit he said something along the line of
    "Ok, no worries, see you later".

And you are correct..... The Hermit that I talked with could also be Jesus,
    Arch Angel Mikael, Melchezedek, Saint Peter or it could have been
    some badass alien collecting souls to sell on the black soul market ???

Perhaps he has many faces.... I don't know.
    And as to why he would choose to look like The Hermit to me at those
    times we met I have no idea as at that period in m life I had no knowledge
    of The Hermit at all.

But whoever he is I still thank him for appearing out of thin air to assist
    me through dire straights several years after the first meeting.

I have a feeling this story is not over yet.

+ Reply to Thread