Patrons of the Sacred Art

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The missing Chapters of John French's Art of Distillation

I am aware. I want to see EM's unique scan (and see what he paid for).

And in answer to Elixirmixer's question: no, there is nothing remotely "alchemical" (properly) about these chapters either. As he seems to be aware of (at least in the other thread), French was just a "chymist" who had an interest in such subjects as the Stone and transmutation in general, but he himself did not know how to make the Stone. He collected "recipes" from many sources, and he himself admits that he has not been able to test all of them, plus none of the ones he printed in his book are about making the Stone. And only a relative few of the processes he printed have something to do with transmutation either. For example, in the last process in the "Calcination" chapter (page 250) there is a claim that the product of such operations (a "fixed" mercury) will "augment gold" (in other words, it will increase either the weight or the "tincture" of gold. This type of processes were among the methods of the "puffers" and "multipliers" that the alchemists kept on attacking and defaming as "fools", "knaves" and/or "sophists".)

Quote Originally Posted by Schmuldvich View Post
    I am aware. I want to see EM's unique scan (and see what he paid for).
    I'm pretty sure it's the same chapters. Even the titles/subject-matter are the same: sublimation & calcination.

Did anyone ever receive Elixirmixer's unique scans...?

He asked me for my email twice and has been ignoring me since.

Blog Entries
    Yes sorry, lazyness has overcome me heavily.

originally i assumed JDP had already found said manuscript however, it appears that they are indeed different. (WIN!)

Okay, going through Andro steps now....

Step one:....
    Join me; on a voyage of stupidity, and self discovery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=vccZSHroTG4

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's the same chapters. Even the titles/subject-matter are the same: sublimation & calcination.
    I am here, attempting transfer... and I can assure you JDP, that I indeed have "something different", and yet, it is in the same style.

If I'm right, a good, "You've done Historical Alchemy some good son" will be sufficient payment.

Join me; on a voyage of stupidity, and self discovery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=vccZSHroTG4

Blog Entries
    My apologizies. JDP's Link has the ENtIRE John F Art of Distillation. Including the end indexies whch my copy does not have.

However my copy is just a photocopy of JDP's edition. Fuck you.

Em over and out.

Edit: that fuck you was ment with love.

Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    And in answer to Elixirmixer's question: no, there is nothing remotely "alchemical" (properly) about these chapters either. As he seems to be aware of (at least in the other thread), French was just a "chymist" who had an interest in such subjects as the Stone and transmutation in general, but he himself did not know how to make the Stone. He collected "recipes" from many sources, and he himself admits that he has not been able to test all of them, plus none of the ones he printed in his book are about making the Stone. And only a relative few of the processes he printed have something to do with transmutation either. For example, in the last process in the "Calcination" chapter (page 250) there is a claim that the product of such operations (a "fixed" mercury) will "augment gold" (in other words, it will increase either the weight or the "tincture" of gold. This type of processes were among the methods of the "puffers" and "multipliers" that the alchemists kept on attacking and defaming as "fools", "knaves" and/or "sophists".)
    It is "the art of distillation" not "the art of transmutation"... it is an interesting book anyway. I doubt it is anyone's favourite book, but it's a nice book and useful for some things. I am glad that it exists.

+ Reply to Thread