Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nicholas Flamel

Blog Entries

Nicholas Flamel

This is a Phoenix-thread from the old site.

Feel like talking about Nicholas Flamel then you have come to the right place. But before that can be done let me just post a bio and some other bits of info and links.

Intro
    When I lived in Paris I went to the Bibliothèque nationale de France, which is one of the most amazing libraries I've ever been to especially if one is able to get in to the research department (which I did). To get in there I had to not only pay, but convince the library that I had valid intention to be there. Anyway in there they had a several hundred year old copy of a book by Flamel (the name of this book I can't recall at the moment, but I have it written down somewhere).

Anyway in it it says that on Monday the 17th of January 1382 Flamel managed to turn lead into silver, and then on the 25th of April (at 5 p.m.) the same year he managed to transmute lead into gold. The only witness was his wife. Now I see this event as being of a spiritual nature rather than a material. The legend goes that he and his wife allegedly still roams the earth immortal from their discovery of the Elixir of Life.

His Story
    In the 14th century there was a man destined for a certain book. This man was Nicholas Flamel and the book was The Book of Abraham the Jew, and the two would seldom be mentioned without the other.

Nicholas Flamel had a genuine interest in the Hermetic arts and he longed for finding books that dealt with its essential secrets. One night he had a dream of an angel that stood before him. In her hands she held an antique book and spoke words which he would never forget:
    Look well at this book, Nicholas. At first you will understand nothing in it, neither you nor any other man. But one day you will see in it that which no other man will be able to see.
    This dream had a great spiritual impact on him and he began to seriously dwell into the Hermetic arts and began practise alchemy in a laboratory he and his wife built in their home. His bookstores, offices and home became a place for occultists and adepts in the great art. Day and night he laboured on the pursuit of the Elixir of Life and the Philosopher’s Stone and gained a lot of knowledge, but the angel he wished to meet again did not return.

One day in the year 1357 he bought a book from a travelling scholar in need of cash for two florins. Later he would suspect the book had been stolen from the Jews or found in some hidden place of theirs, and neither the seller nor the buyer realised at the time of the books importance.

It was most unusual, old and large, made of Copper and delicate rindes of tender young trees covered with Latin texts. It contained three times seven leaves and the printing was marvellous, but cryptical with Hieroglyphs and strange signs and figures. Every seventh leaf contained no words but were instead a adorned with beautiful drawings.

Several hours later he realised that this book was the book he had dreamt of and he instantly set about to understand it, which he did not. It was not written for a student but for someone that had already achieved some success in finding the Philosopher’s Stone.

Priory of Sion
    Flamel features on the list of Grand Masters of the Priory of Sion as number 161 (if you belive in that stuff). The dossier is also located in the Bibliothèque nationale de France ). See this list HERE.

Flamels tomb
    On his tomb Flamel ordered that mysterious alchemical figures be carved which are explained by himself HERE. An image of the tomb is HERE.

Flamel in fiction
    Flamel figures in a number of fictional tales. In the book Notre Dame de Paris (or more famously The Hunchback of Notre Dame) of Victor Hugo for example. Go HERE for a very interesting read. I quote one passage:
    While in exile on the Island of Jersey, between 1853 and 1855, Victor Hugo participated in a series of seances, or 'table turnings', where he claimed to have communicated with several famous spirits. He wrote the conversations down, but some skeptics might claim the conversations were the conscious or unconscious by-product of a very creative mind -- which no one disputes Victor Hugo had. The spirit of Nicolas Flamel made one appearance - on July 26, 1854, 9:25 pm.
    Hugo channelled/drew an image the night Flamel made his appearance. Go HERE to see it.

Flamel also figures in the Harry Potter books (which I myself have not read nor is interested in).
    Nicolas Flamel is a fictional character in Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, who is based on the real French alchemist, Nicholas Flamel. He is something of a MacGuffin; though he is the clue to the whole mystery of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, he never actually makes an appearance.

According to the Harry Potter books, Flamel is the only person known to create the Philosopher's Stone and, thus, he and his wife, Perenelle, have lived on for centuries. Flamel worked with Albus Dumbledore as his partner in alchemy, though, considering the stone had already been invented, it is not clear what the pair worked on together.
    Flamel's stone became the target of Lord Voldemort during his possession of Professor Quirrell, so Dumbledore consequently moved it from Gringotts Wizarding Bank to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, in order to keep it safe. However, Quirrell worked out how to get past the numerous obstacles to the prize, but Harry Potter, Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger figured out someone was after it, though they believed it to be Severus Snape, their Potions professor.

At the end of the book, Dumbledore mentioned that Flamel had enough Elixir of Life left to set his affairs in order, but noted that he would die. Nicolas Flamel has not been heard from since in the series, and author J. K. Rowling has stated on her website that Flamel is now deceased. – Wikipedia
    Some Flamel sites:
    Testament of Nicholas Flamel, The
    Flamel College

Some beautiful Flamel images can be found HERE and HERE.

YouTube: The Flamel House

Quote Originally Posted by sleeveless

His house looked like this two days ago... So how did I end upp there?

I was sitting in a bookstore in Paris on a chair in the children section and just looking around and then I saw a very nice book and there was his name... and because he's a very intresting person I just wanted to go visit his house.
    Last edited by Awani; 01-02-2009 at 01:00 AM.

Don’t let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Blog Entries
    Yeah it's a restaurant now. I never eaten there myself, although I guess I should have.

Oh well life is full of regrets...

It's not really visible on any of the pictures above but there are several images carved into the exterior wall of the house (especially on the second floor). Time has really worked hard on them and they're not that readable. I tried to film them, but it didn't show up so good. Got some computer problems, but when it is sorted I will post this film here for those interested.
    Some notebook pages from Nicholas Flamel...

It is kind of many i hope it is ok...?

I like them!....

Quote Originally Posted by MythMath
    Very cool...

Could be pages from my daydream jounal...
    Quote Originally Posted by deviadah
    Yeah those are very nice, that is why I included a link to them in my original post...

But nice work re-posting them one by one!
    OOoo

I just put some color on the page...
    Yeah, it was a nice job... I should have done what you did in the first place anyway! I have always loved those images.

Here's another Flamel related image that I've found crusing the net:

Quote Originally Posted by antonchanning
    Ah yes, the Auberge Nicholas Flamel. I have some rather fond memories of that place. Had the pleasure of a very romantic meal in there, followed by a ritual in the wine cellar with the land lord and lady and a tour round the upstairs floors. The ritual was above a whole that had just recently been excavated. Ariane (my partner at the time) and I were the first two other than the Land lord and lady to be invited to see it. I have some photos of the ritual space...

This would have been in November 2006
    Very nice!

What was in the hole?
    Just rubble really. They'd only just uncovered it, they hadn't yet excavated whatever was down there. Its unlikely to be alchemy related to be honest, since this was the house Nicholas built AFTER Pernelle died. Since Flamel claimed to have only performed the Great Work successfully twice, and both times with the assistance of Pernelle, this must have taken place at an older house no longer intact.
    Yes, I agree. Add to this the fact that because Hugo made him famous to the masses (more than before) looters have been all over Paris looking for gold! So if there was anything there I am sure it is in some vault in the Vatican by now.

Great pics... I never went inside since it was closed when I was there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Walker
    I have some photos of the ritual space...
    Wonderful images you have there!
    Thankyou! It was a wonderful ritual space, and a fantastic and romantic ending to a lovely meal.

Don’t let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Blog Entries

To paraphrase antonchanning: let's not forget his wife!
    Quote Originally Posted by Salazius
    Hello,

The drawings in colors are not from the hand of Flamel but Molinier's.

And it seems, that he never had a dream with an angel in it, but I can't remember the title of the book where I reed it... sorry.

Salazius
    The drawings in colors are not from the hand of Flamel but Molinier's.
    Good point... I have figured that they were some form of inspirational piece or such...
    And it seems, that he never had a dream with an angel in it...
    As with all figures of legend it is difficult, if not impossible, to really know what did and did not happen.
    In fact, I red that it is an author, who openly said that he invented that...
    But you are totally wright. It difficult to know exactly what append whit figures of legend.

Molinier's text is very nice actually.

Regards,
    Salazius
    Quote Originally Posted by WCH
    I just read a book called Cannabis Alchemy -- Nicholas Flamel is listed as the editor. Thought it was a nice nod of the hat in a book that doesn't really have too much of "classic" alchemy in it, more just drug chemistry. Good drug chemistry, though... it explains how to isomerize THC into higher-rotating (and more potent) forms, how to create pure THC (a transparent oil, far purer than the honey oil) and how to synthesize THC-acetate, which is supposedly 6 times as strong as normal THC. Their use of the word "alchemy" (and "alchemists" to describe people who do the operations they teach) shows a shift in the nomenclature, as there's nothing to suggest a spiritual practice connected with the work, although the people doing the operations may well in fact have one. It simply isn't discussed.
    Quote Originally Posted by BeautifulEvil
    Interesting post WCH, I will have to check that out if I can get a copy of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesBryan
    Many alchemist have said that they have transmutated things, and I'm not saying that I don't' believe them in fact I do.

I would also, if you had time, cite the source where it says that his wife witnessed his transmutation.
    Proof is always difficult but Flamel wrote about this himself, so the source is Flamel! As far as I know anyway...
    Quote Originally Posted by phliosehea
    JamesBryan: I would also, if you had time, cite the source where it says that his wife witnessed his transmutation.
    Not to be a "fuddy duddy" but this is rather common knowledge for many of us on this board. But since you asked nicely, here is a source.

Flammel's Hieroglyphics:Then, the first time that I made projection was upon Mercury, whereof I turned half-a-pound, or thereabouts, into pure Silver, better than that of the Mine, as I myself assayed, and made others assay many times. This was upon a Monday, the 17th of January, about noon, in my house, Perrenella only being present, in the year of the restoring of mankind, 1382. And afterwards, following always my Book, from word to word, I made projection of the Red Stone upon the like quantity of Mercury, in the presence likewise of Perrenella only, in the same house, the five and twentieth day of April following, the same year, about five o'clock in the evening; which I transmuted truly into almost as much pure Gold, better assuredly than common Gold, more soft and more plyable.
    Ah, I am guessing Perrenella is his wife? Also, someone stated in the first page of this thread that his wife still lives today?

Hmm, I doubt still live's today, she must of kept a very low profile and changed her name quite a few times, on top of that, car accidents, murder, stealing, can all make her name shine very easily. If she was still alive, she did a hell of a good job to keep down-low. Of course most of my post are opinions, like others.
    Also, someone stated in the first page of this thread that his wife still lives today?
    Nicholas too... or so the legend goes!
    So in a 24 hour period I learned that Flamel had a book that can be translated into a Latter-Day Saints book. I sage identified it, supposedly in his words. After that he attempted to transmute mercury into silver which worked, lead into gold, which successfully he did but the quality was disrupted. This gives support that the Law of Equivalency does exist (I support this in my theory paper). He also made himself and his spouse immortal, his grave was dug up by a thief. He corpse(if he was dead) wasn't there along with no possessions like gold.

Question: Just out of curiosity, I know its only human to feed on knowledge but if Nicholas Flamel was a devoted Catholic why would he be reading a book of Latter-Day?

Question: What is your guys opinions about the Immortality. Do you think they aging still occurs, does it hasten, or not at all?

Do you think mutation occurs when you use your own body to explore a domain of uncharted territory.

Just Quote that and answer it, It's for all. The immortality question I mean is for all. The first one is for 'prof's'.
    What is your guys opinions about the Immortality. Do you think they aging still occurs, does it hasten, or not at all?
    It depends.
    You can stop aging with the Stone, for "ever", but you can't avoid physical mortal accident, that "kill" your body (if they happens, karma is eradicated), even if you stop aging, you are still able to "die".

Moreover, you can have such a degree of sanctity that you can consciously play the game of mortality in the body, even if it is already immortal/pure light. In a sens, you can be perceived as an old man, being in fact, pure light. But mental cannot grasp that, so, you see the guy like any normal person, grey hairs, wrinkles etc.

Indian saint like Sri Yukestwarji, showed thyself to people (not aware of his death), few hours after the death, doing it's walk on the river bank of the Gange like everyday.

Yes, for me, it hasten the manifestation of immortality, first in the spiritual realm, "everything is now for ever", and then, paradoxically, with "time", your body begin to vibrate on the same long wave length of your spirit.

I've also heard thing like "the Stone car create a door to another world that you can go through with your physical body". Maybe a world of immortality.

Salazius

Blog Entries
    There are ways to prolong life, that is a fact. As far as living forever I would not rule it out... but then again we must also ask why should we? Before the world is a perfect utopia I don't see a reason to hang around for too long!
    The perfect uptopia has laws and reasons. Someone controls that utopia. Why not rule your own utopia, right here in this, "REALITY".

Every dimension has its laws, reasons, and of course Cause-Effect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    Question: Just out of curiosity, I know its only human to feed on knowledge but if Nicholas Flamel was a devoted Catholic why would he be reading a book of Latter-Day?
    What book(s) are you referring to??
    The Book of Abaraham the Mage.

OR Also known as the Jew.
    Hey ladies and gentlemen, anyone going to answer my other question? Im really crushed on that question, Im researching bout the Great Flamel, but still getting the same stuff.

I am currently trying to find some books related to him, what books did he write?
    What specific points are you referencing that you believe "translate" to Latter Day dogma? Seeing as how Flamel predates any Latter-Day material I am more inclined to believe that that is how you are personally interpreting it. Are you from a Mormon background? If you are speaking of some other Latter-Day movement then I apologize for the confusion. However, if it is in fact what you are proposing then I would like to see your point(s)...while I do not speak for anyone else- I would guess that few (myself included) here are well versed in Mormonism to see the same connection you appear to see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dizardos
    Here are works of Nicholas Flamel:

Flamel's Hieroglyphics

Testament of Flamel

The Summary of Philosophy

In answer to your question regarding immortality I would say that one could come close, but that perfect immortality can never be achieved. It is like infinity. When one expresses infinity by means of numbers the idea might arise that one comes close to it, but it is always out of reach like with Tantalus. Stopping the aging process should not be too hard of a feat to accomplish relatively speaking, although the path to it is already a thin line that must be walked. It is all about harmony. Excess and shortages kill. I would however not consider the attainment of the Philosopher's Stone the final destination. The Stone is merely the first step towards perfect immortality and perfection in other forms, but it does not have to stop there. Much more can be achieved, although it indeed is clear that one quickly leaves the beaten path to achieve such higher aims. There appear to be no lights for guidance in such matters, but that does not mean it is impossible. Working in darkness is more difficult. That is all.

Have a great new year!

Dizardos
    What specific points are you referencing that you believe "translate" to Latter Day dogma? Seeing as how Flamel predates any Latter-Day material I am more inclined to believe that that is how you are personally interpreting it. Are you from a Mormon background? If you are speaking of some other Latter-Day movement then I apologize for the confusion. However, if it is in fact what you are proposing then I would like to see your point(s)...while I do not speak for anyone else- I would guess that few (myself included) here are well versed in Mormonism to see the same connection you appear to see.
    Hahaha, I am rather humored by this. I am not a Mormon nor a Latter-Day. Religion does tie into science but nonetheless is the topic of my personnel religion.

I say that one of the books that was identified by a sage was a Latter-Day one because of this source.

Wiki of Flamel

Now I know wiki isn't a valuable source.
    I do not believe they are one and the same book...regardless of the shared title. The "Abraham" Flamel speaks of (if we are to believe the myth and legend of the story) was said to be a great rabbi closer to the time period Flamel lived in -as opposed to 2-3000 years before Flamels time (during the Abrahamic period of the bible). Careful when you "wiki"- though it provides decent information- more often then not it provides the "fast food" version of research, as I'm sure you're well aware. A case in point would be if you read the first paragraph from the "Book of Abraham" information they provide.
    For many years the location of the papyri was unknown. However, in 1966 ten fragments were found in the archives of the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York. Subsequently, an additional fragment was located in the LDS Church Historian's Office. They are now referred to as the Joseph Smith Papyri. Both Mormon and non-Mormon Egyptologists have examined and translated the fragments, concluding that they are portions of funerary texts, dating to about the first century BC.[4] The text bears no resemblance to the translation given by Joseph Smith, and as a result the interpretation of the texts has been the source of significant controversy with Mormon critics and apologists differing on the reasons for the discrepancy.
    *For all the cabalists I would like to point out our father Ram. Abraham- which also shares phonetic resonance with Brahman.

Nicolas Flamel

So, I want to ask a hard question.
    Do you believe that Nicolas Flamel is still alive?

Blog Entries
    Moved your post to this thread...

No, I don't think he is... although I would not be surprised if he lived beyond his death (for a few years at least).

The ego, the personality dies with the body, may be his spirit stayed longer,
    but only if he was stilled attached to this world, could that be?
    So unfined business?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dev View Post
    Yeah it's a restaurant now. I never eaten there myself, although I guess I should have.

Oh well life is full of regrets...
    Well, you (and a few of us) certainly made up for it, 3.5 years later

So I guess the occasion was just waiting for the right circumstances and the right company...

Blog Entries
    I see some person actually had snails!!!

Some heavy drinking going on too

or was it just expensive wine?

Ghislain

+ Reply to Thread