Patrons of the Sacred Art

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mending a Glass Retort

Mending a Glass Retort

I have two 500ml glass retorts. Unfortunately on one of them a part is broken at the end of the snout. I tried to fix it with the "flaming thread trick" but as it is made out of duran 50 it didn't work.
    My glass cutter is quite old and doesn't work either. Any suggestions what to do?

if you are trying to remove a section cleanly, you can sometimes get thin wire, wrap it, and superheat it with a soldering iron around the spot where you want a clean break, then plunge the glass into an ice bath.

I should note this is from reading mostly, I've have mixed results with martini glasses for reflux vessels. I've never done it properly, and always end up with fractured bits so far. I think the Art of Distillation has a chapter devoted to working with glass, but I can't recall if the method was from there or another text.

Quote Originally Posted by Florius Frammel View Post
    I have two 500ml glass retorts. Unfortunately on one of them a part is broken at the end of the snout. I tried to fix it with the "flaming thread trick" but as it is made out of duran 50 it didn't work.
    My glass cutter is quite old and doesn't work either. Any suggestions what to do?
    The heat and cold ways to cut glass have a quite high level of failures... with experience you can get better, but if someone claims that he has 100% of success when cutting this way, I would think he's not telling the truth.
    The flaming thread trick is among the worst ones of heat and cold... but no heat and cold method will guarantee a 100% of success.

If you were cutting a wine bottle to create a funnel, then some heat and cold methods would be obvious (because if the wine bottle breaks, it's just a wine bottle... nothing relevant got lost).

Glass cutters are not expensive... if you appreciate the equipment, I would get a new one (a new glass cutter)... and a lot of patience... because it takes time... and it is quite boring... but it's the safe way. Otherwise you are playing russian roulette (it can go right, it can go wrong).

Thank you, you two!

I have found using the talents of a professional laboratory glass blower
    can save a lot of heart ache and you can also be financially better off in
    the long run.

+ Reply to Thread