Patrons of the Sacred Art

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 69

Thread: Practical Work: Testing Golden R+C Setup

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    529
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Florius Frammel View Post
    Well it's no more or less than my version of the setup shown in my first link above and described at Beyer's book. Nothing hidden added. As I said before, I am sceptic as well. Why did you change from condensation of water to dust and meteorite?
    No change, really, but condensation struck me first when I thought the top was closed, as something to factor in if liquids started appearing. Actually, there are a lot of wonderful things floating about the air this time of year (in the northern hemisphere) that I think are well worth catching and investigating

    Meteorites make up fine dust that falls from the heavens, so if you do end up with a thick layer of it, you could try running a magnet across the glass just to see. Just a thought that occurred.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    720
    Quote Originally Posted by zoas23 View Post
    You may want to use a linen sheet covering the opening of the funnel.... it can be adjusted with a rubber band or whatever. The air has changed a bit since the damned industrial revolution.
    There are quite some pollen too and dust from the Sahara desert. The gases produced since the industrial revolution however can't be filtered this way. Thanks for your advice, but I will keep it open. At least until something happens or I'm convinced that nothing happens here.

    Time for the first results: Nothing so far
    But there are two things in my setup I am not satisfied with:
    1. The heater is off at night and above a certain temperature at daytime and was not really warm the whole time. I don't want to change that in the whole circle just for that experiment. Therefore I will replace it with a cheap egg hatcher device. In Beyer's book it is written the temperature should not exceed the first grade of a B.M., so I think 50C should be enough.

    2. If you look closely, the plastic funnel is attached with tape. I doubt it's airtight and will replace it with a rubber stopper /w hole.

    Edit: I am requoting Salazius from the Spiritus Mundi Thread, who seems to have experience in these kind of setups:
    Quote Originally Posted by Salazius View Post
    If there is two reciever flasks, it is because it operates a separation.

    The heavier spirit will fall in the first and is mostly flegm.

    The subtler, will go at the end of the apparatus. Rich enough in spiritus.

    This path is interesting only if you know what you get... Otherwise you'll mess.

    Also, the fire is too strong. Don't exceed 40C.
    The temperature matches to what I was thinking. Further, after looking into the Mutus Liber, I thought that this setup is some sort of a short way to collect dew and simultaneously distill it. In fact Dew is the only thing I can imagine to appear here. Maybe I'm wrong and maybe nothing happens. In the Mutus Liber however, the dew is first distilled and seperated into two fractions (4/5 to 1/5). I guess that is what you instantly get when you use two receivers. So IF I am going to get any dew with my device, I guess I will distill it again to get these two fractions. Or I will use what maybe will be left behind in the flask as the last 1/5 part. I have already some ideas what to do after that, but one step after the other.
    Last edited by Florius Frammel; 04-17-2018 at 07:16 AM.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    720
    I decided not to let it run 24h a day but to focus on the early morning.

    The setup is "well luted", that means air can only get in and out through the funnel.
    The humidity was approx. 75% and is starting to decrease really fast (45% right now), the grass outside is wet.

    The wash bottle was constantely heated at the bottom at 40C with an egg incubator.

    However, after letting it run for one hour now, I can observe absolutely nothing.
    Though this mechanism of dew collection was unclear to me right from the beginning, I must confess I'm a little bit disappointed and undecided whether or not giving it more tries.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    529
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Florius Frammel View Post
    I decided not to let it run 24h a day but to focus on the early morning.

    The setup is "well luted", that means air can only get in and out through the funnel.
    The humidity was approx. 75% and is starting to decrease really fast (45% right now), the grass outside is wet.

    The wash bottle was constantely heated at the bottom at 40C with an egg incubator.

    However, after letting it run for one hour now, I can observe absolutely nothing.
    Though this mechanism of dew collection was unclear to me right from the beginning, I must confess I'm a little bit disappointed and undecided whether or not giving it more tries.
    I've been thinking more and more that the focus on dew might be a distraction. There are plenty of things wondering about in the air, but they might have to be caught with very good timing. I'm not so certain that "water" is what you want, but rather what it tends to mix with. My own experiments are far from in place for catching it from the air, but several things are showing up in my outdoor rain collection setup for water at my homestead.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    5,408
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Florius Frammel View Post
    However, after letting it run for one hour now, I can observe absolutely nothing.
    Though this mechanism of dew collection was unclear to me right from the beginning, I must confess I'm a little bit disappointed and undecided whether or not giving it more tries.
    So, would you think the R+C put it in their 5th Degree just to fuck with us?

    Or perhaps there is something we're missing here? And/or something that was deliberately "omitted" from the drawing?

    Also, how can we be so certain this setup is intended to collect dew? There are (and were) much easier ways to collect plain dew...

  6. #16
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,913
    Blog Entries
    65
    FF, whats going on in the bottom right of your set-up. Is that recever just sotting on a jar lid? Or is something actually happening over there?
    Join me; on a voyage of stupidity, and self discovery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=vccZSHroTG4

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    720
    Quote Originally Posted by Andro View Post
    So, would you think the R+C put it in their 5th Degree just to fuck with us?

    Or perhaps there is something we're missing here? And/or something that was deliberately "omitted" from the drawing?

    Also, how can we be so certain this setup is intended to collect dew? There are (and were) much easier ways to collect plain dew...
    I have the feeling there indeed might be more than meets the eye.
    The perspective of the picture is totally deranged. It reminds me of this:



    The idea of collecting dew with this setup can be interpreted from the text. I guess, I will translate it for you all to read it.
    In detail the text orders to run this setup from dawn until 9 o'clock (the 9th hour). And that's the time when most of the dew appears. I misread it the first time and thought the device should be running for nine hours.

    @EM: The reciever is just attached on the snout of my alembic, "well luted" with a stopper with a hole. Nothing else. No heating or cooling.

    Edit: I posted my translation of these instructions here:
    Manuscript Quest
    Last edited by Florius Frammel; 04-20-2018 at 10:53 AM.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    529
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Florius Frammel View Post
    Edit: I posted my translation of these instructions here:
    Manuscript Quest
    It would certainly seem that he's speaking of dew, so perhaps this device is intended to catch nitrogen compounds and dry them, as everyone suspects. Was this author in possession of the stone? Are there accounts other than his own of transmutation?

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    5,408
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon's Tail View Post
    perhaps this device is intended to catch nitrogen compounds and dry them, as everyone suspects.
    And who might this "everyone" be?


  10. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    720
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon's Tail View Post
    It would certainly seem that he's speaking of dew, so perhaps this device is intended to catch nitrogen compounds and dry them, as everyone suspects. Was this author in possession of the stone? Are there accounts other than his own of transmutation?
    These were instructions given to brothers of some lodges or at least one lodge in south germany. I don't have more informations at the moment.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts