Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Practical Work: Testing Golden R+C Setup

Practical Work: Testing Golden R+C Setup

After the posts following the pages from here in this thread:
    http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showt...-Mundi/page110

and this thread:
    http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showt...The-Golden-R-C

I decided to rebuild the setup shown in the picture of the first step of the 5th grade.

You can see what I have done in the picture and I will let it stand like this no matter either the day- or nighttime nor the weather. I'll close the window when it's raining though.

It doesn't cost me no high amount of money, time or work. But I'm curious if ANYTHING happens, which I somehow doubt. But let's see..

Feel free to comment, make suggestions or criticize.

The flask at the top is colored by sunlight? Or something in there?

Out of curiosity, did you pre-heat all of the glass to drive out moisture? I expect you will definitely see some condensation somewhere of water. Where it decides to show up might be interesting. It's a nice setup, glad to see someone doing and sharing their "solar catching" mechanisms. I love the way you have this setup with the funnel flask and alembic. Very clever

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon's Tail View Post
    The flask at the top is colored by sunlight? Or something in there?
    Do you mean the funnel? It's colored plastic.

Out of curiosity, did you pre-heat all of the glass to drive out moisture? I expect you will definitely see some condensation somewhere of water. Where it decides to show up might be interesting. It's a nice setup, glad to see someone doing and sharing their "solar catching" mechanisms. I love the way you have this setup with the funnel flask and alembic. Very clever
    Thanks! The glass is dry.

Thank you for sharing your work. Awesome picture!

How much did that alembic top cost you and where did you buy it?

Quote Originally Posted by Schmuldvich View Post
    Thank you for sharing your work. Awesome picture!

How much did that alembic top cost you and where did you buy it?
    Thanks, you're welcome! And you have a pm.

Ah, a funnel. Okay. I suspect you will at the very least trap a good bit of some dust. You said the window will be open most of the time? Might be some little bits of meteorite in there as well. Any hidden bits in here, or pretty much "what you see is what you get?"

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon's Tail View Post
    Ah, a funnel. Okay. I suspect you will at the very least trap a good bit of some dust. You said the window will be open most of the time? Might be some little bits of meteorite in there as well. Any hidden bits in here, or pretty much "what you see is what you get?"
    Well it's no more or less than my version of the setup shown in my first link above and described at Beyer's book. Nothing hidden added. As I said before, I am sceptic as well. Why did you change from condensation of water to dust and meteorite?

You may want to use a linen sheet covering the opening of the funnel.... it can be adjusted with a rubber band or whatever. The air has changed a bit since the damned industrial revolution.

Blog Entries
    Would love to hear your results FF! Thanks for sharing!
    Join me; on a voyage of stupidity, and self discovery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=vccZSHroTG4

FF, as others have already said, that's quite the ingenious idea.

Your approach has got me thinking if using buchner flasks could also work. See pic below

Idea would be to have the inlet and outlet in-line and on opposite sides to each other and somehow create a tight seal between the mouth of the two flasks one of which is inverted on top of the other. Something like the following:

Also, if you have a moment, I too am interested to find out where you bought your alembic head. I've been on the lookout for a while and so far most of the sources seem to be quite pricey.

TIA
    Last edited by Aham; 04-17-2018 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Added pic for clarity

+ Reply to Thread