Patrons of the Sacred Art

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Practical Work: Testing Golden R+C Setup

Blog Entries
    In the first flask of the Backstrom's device image, we see that there is an opening on top probably luted. IMO when this is open, the hot air inside the flask will escape from the top, drawing fresh night air through the funnel continuously.

There are elements missing from this one as well. I've already pointed this out elsewhere.
    Do you mean some of the 4 elements or just elements in general ?

What's curious to me is that 'Hermetic Recreations' (the only text in the "trilogy" that mentions a "device") talks about pointing the device North, and this text says to point it East
    It may possibly dictate the results you will get .... Solar or Luna.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    Do you mean some of the 4 elements or just elements in general ?
    "Elements" in the setup. Not "The Four Elements".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by theFool View Post
    In the first flask of the Backstrom's device image, we see that there is an opening on top probably luted. IMO when this is open, the hot air inside the flask will escape from the top, drawing fresh night air through the funnel continuously.
    Or maybe there's something missing, that has to be attached to the top opening?

Quote Originally Posted by Andro View Post
    Or maybe there's something missing, that has to be attached to the top opening?
    Thanks for all your replies! They all are quite useful to me thinking about this setup.

@JDP: You may be right. But I'm not afraid of failures. Usually people mostly just publish positive results. Here I decided not to, but honestly publish my observations, even if there are none. Talking and thinking about failures may be a little less rewarding than hitting the nail at first try, but they can definately be fruitful and needed to progress imo.

@Andro: I think I know what you may have in mind with the missing thing. However what theFool suggests only makes sense to me, if the order of the flasks is switched. The heating and the opening with the missing part should be on the last flask opposite to the funnel. Do you agree?

Edit: I just wondered if the order of the flasks has s.sth. to do with the weird perspective of the picture we were talking about. It would somehow fit, if you would order the parts in a row with the right perspective.
    Last edited by Florius Frammel; 04-21-2018 at 11:27 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Florius Frammel View Post
    I'm not afraid of failures. Usually people mostly just publish positive results. Here I decided not to, but honestly publish my observations, even if there are none. Talking and thinking about failures may be a little less rewarding than hitting the nail at first try, but they can definitely be fruitful and needed to progress imo.
    Respect!

Tinkering (even without full or even partial understanding) beats the hell out of heeding to sanctimonious sermons and to what is usually masquerading as "logic" or "common sense"

Serendipity now ! ! !

At some point, I will PM you some additional stuff that you may (or may not ) find useful in this experiment.

But by all means, don't let it be your only experiment, but one of many....

Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    Perhaps hidden or missing from the way we view things ?

I believe that the correct theory is being portrayed here, but we may
    have to look a bit deeper to recognize the battle of the Elements and
    the Alchemic process that is very openly shown in the Bacstrom
    Apparatus.

For that device to work the first station with the flask being heated should be removed to the right end of the others. That way the heated flask with the top valve to exit the hot expanded air will draw fresh air in from the left and create a current through the two other stations. At least that is how I would try to set it up to work.

Quote Originally Posted by z0 K View Post
    For that device to work the first station with the flask being heated should be removed to the right end of the others. That way the heated flask with the top valve to exit the hot expanded air will draw fresh air in from the left and create a current through the two other stations. At least that is how I would try to set it up to work.
    That's what I am thinking too (see post above). Thank's for backing me up.

Alright..that's going to be the setup for the second round.
    "Stay tuned(though it may or may not take a while)!"

Quote Originally Posted by Florius Frammel View Post
    That's what I am thinking too (see post above). Thank's for backing me up.

Alright..that's going to be the setup for the second round.
    "Stay tuned(though it may or may not take a while)!"
    Slightly different view but let's say that the pieces are correct but the setup sequence is off. As I see it, the end flask only has an horizontal inlet and no horizontal outlet so having the 1st flask at the end won't work unless the end flask is modified to have a new horizontal outlet. The only other way to make the contraption work with the available features of the three flasks into a different sequence is to have the 1st flask with the candle flame as the middle flask. This allows for the current contraption to work and also ends up creating a partial vacuum in the 3rd flask. I'd be curious to see what collects in the 3rd flask. I'd say that's probably 2K-3K in glassware expense unless done in some 'ghetto style' like FF's attempt

Update

Ok, that was rather sooner than later.
    I don't know why tinypic turned the pics and I don't know how to display them right.

Edit: Thanks Schmuldvich, the pics now have their proper orientation.

It looks more complicated than it is. The reason why I used the condenser is only just because I do not have a flask with two openings at the moment. I used the part where usually the cooling water should be as the receiver.
    The opening is the upper connector of the cooling water. The other opening on the very top is useless in this setup. Just ask, if you think I should explain more.

Once again I could not see much. Nothing inside the condenser/receiver.

When putting a cold wet cloth on the alembic however, I could immediatly see some water condensing. But only there. After removing the cloth, it started to disappear very quick. To be honest, this time I forgot to check if there was rest humidity inside. But from the behaviour of the water forming and disappearing that quickly, I guess I let it count.

However it is by far not enough to work with. I don't even know how to collect and store such tiny amounts or if I want to.
    Last edited by Florius Frammel; 04-22-2018 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Twisting pics

+ Reply to Thread