Disclaimer: I do not claim to be enlightened by any stretch of the imagination.

We have a few threads on enlightenment, but I thought this should be on its own. Recently, and in the past, there has been some discussion on enlightenment. These discussions go from "how to get it", "what it is"... etc etc.

In the past year I have really achieved some deep personal wisdom, wisdom that is neither new nor spectacular... but that is, on a personal level, earth shattering.

And I want to point it out here, because this wisdom is VERY important when we discuss enlightenment.

In Buddhism we have this famous prayer:

Until I am enlightened, I take refuge
In the Buddha, Dharma and Sangha.
Through the merit I create by practicing giving and the other perfections
May I attain enlightenment for the sake of all sentient beings.

I think there is one aspect in the enlightenment-debate that everyone lacks to see... or fail to mention... and it is this: It is not for you. It is not for I.

May I attain enlightenment for the sake of all sentient beings.

It is easier to show compassion if you are not highly depressed. In fact it is easier to cause harm to others if you feel depressed. An individual that is fully enlightened would be in the perfect position to spread compassion to all.

Enlightenment is not something one becomes. Enlightenment is not something that should benefit the self, it benefits everyone around you. Enlightenment is not a status, it is non-status... it is a un-becoming... so that others can achieve the same state... because in the realm of compassion resides love, and in the realm of such energies it is easier to achieve peace of mind. Because all existence is suffering.

When I was young I thought this was a cynical perspective. Now I know it is the opposite. When I cut my finger I can go: "ouch that fucking hurt, fuck... motherfucker... ouch..."

I can also react in this way: "oh I cut myself... that really hurts... the blood has a beautiful color... I know I am in pain... but my pain is so much less than someone elses pain... pain is always fleeting... and even if it is constant, it will end in death... etc"

I am getting off track.

In short: enlightenment should be achieved to serve others