Patrons of the Sacred Art

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nice setup to collect dew

Nice setup to collect dew

This is way more efficient and logical (to me) but similar to the Bacstrom and R+C device.

The first flask is cooled in a salt ice mixture (ratio 1:3). The air is sucked in via that hydraulic system you see on the right. Maybe some who are following this path want to use it for the last chance of the year these days..

When one considers the fact that most chymical experiments employing any given substances will quite predictably end up in failure to achieve what is claimed, and that therefore you will have to employ rather large amounts of any of them in this necessary process of elimination to separate all the lies and nonsense from what actually works, nothing beats the more simple and cheap methods of obtaining the substances in question. Dew is no exception. So, in the specific case of this substance, nothing beats the cheap and simple method of simply hanging large glass or plastic jugs filled with ice over glass or plastic containers during the hours of the night/morning when dew is most abundant. There is no extra expenditure in energy to freeze water since most people already make ice everyday in their refrigerators, and no salt is used either.

Yes JDP,
    and what you described is almost exactly what I am doing right now. Except of the salt which I'm using. And one of my containers is made of metal. I know, big sacrileg to some, but I expect more dew in this one and am interested if the results are different later in the work, which I'm trying to do.

However the method above has several advantages, especially if you want to work very exact and are interested how much humidity is inside of the air of a certain volume.

That, and it is and it looks cool.

Air pump coming out of the flask would allow you to get more air volume without needing to swap the jugs after each iteration. Or better some kind of float pump in the bottom that could kick on and refill the top, lol.

Blog Entries
    How does the "hydrolic system" work? Just looks like a jar with water in it to me....
    Join me; on a voyage of stupidity, and self discovery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=vccZSHroTG4

Blog Entries
    Oh i see now your syphoning the water and the difference in levels causes gravity to draw the water thus the air also. Got it.
    Join me; on a voyage of stupidity, and self discovery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=vccZSHroTG4

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Florius Frammel View Post
    This is way more efficient and logical (to me) but similar to the Bacstrom and R+C device.

Are you so certain those devices are designed for common dew?

Quote Originally Posted by Andro View Post
    Are you so certain those devices are designed for common dew?
    No, but the device above certainly is more suitable for common dew.
    I did not forget the device work, however in the meantime I decided to do something else.

I read about this problem in former times too, which is way bigger nowadays: The huge amount of books and texts available on the topic of Alchemy. I hop from book to book, sometimes without even having finished some of them. When reading one, then three or more sources pop up additionally.
    Therefore I will exclude all sources after WWII, which is not much, but I must contain it somehow.

But I plan to go back to this kind of setups in the future.

Blog Entries
    Personally, I don’t see this setup working any better than a single glass jar in an ice bath.

For the gravity-siphon-pump to work, you need to eliminate air gaps. Dew doesn’t naturally condense that quickly to supply enough liquid.

Also, the pump will only work if you initiate by suction. Otherwise there is no reason for the liquid to flow.

Over time I’m sure enough moisture would collect, maybe in one summer, but again, a single or multiple jars periodically decanted would work better I think.
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiorionis View Post
    Personally, I don’t see this setup working any better than a single glass jar in an ice bath.

For the gravity-siphon-pump to work, you need to eliminate air gaps. Dew doesn’t naturally condense that quickly to supply enough liquid.

Also, the pump will only work if you initiate by suction. Otherwise there is no reason for the liquid to flow.

Over time I’m sure enough moisture would collect, maybe in one summer, but again, a single or multiple jars periodically decanted would work better I think.
    Yes, like I said above that's similar to how I do it too. I prefer the method described by JDP though.

Besides, how much in your opinions is "enough"? In the literature huge amounts of dew are often needed. Some say everything less than 150 lbs is not enough. You have got to hang up a lot of frozen bottles in several nights to get it.
    I guess it depends on what you are going to do with it.

BTW, I got that method above out of a school book, written by nobel-prize winner Wilhelm Ostwald. It's interesting that the next experiment he describes after that, is how to collect dew with hygroscopic salts..

+ Reply to Thread