Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Glass Alembic

Quote Originally Posted by Florius Frammel View Post
    Wrong, you get working helmets for 40! At least you used to get them and you will get them again when in stock again.
    Why would one need such a big alembic helmet? The original ones sure were way smaller in former times too.
    Freudian explanation theories come into the mind, but I wouldn't go that far in your case, z 0K
    It takes quite a bit of starting material to get a useful amount of Quintessence or Stone for the time involved to make it. If you want to make enough for a couple of years use you will need a large volume reaction flask for the purification work. For 6000mL or larger you will need a 5000mL alembic to bring over the distillate at low temps necessary. If you use a 1000mL alembic with a 6000mL or larger flask you will still need a water cooled condenser after the alembic. Also the distillation rate and temp is influenced by the pressure in the train. Large alembics with wide mouth keep the surface pressure in the train on the liquid surface low enough for efficient sweat distillation.

Quote Originally Posted by z0 K View Post
    It takes quite a bit of starting material to get a useful amount of Quintessence or Stone for the time involved to make it. If you want to make enough for a couple of years use you will need a large volume reaction flask for the purification work. For 6000mL or larger you will need a 5000mL alembic to bring over the distillate at low temps necessary. If you use a 1000mL alembic with a 6000mL or larger flask you will still need a water cooled condenser after the alembic. Also the distillation rate and temp is influenced by the pressure in the train. Large alembics with wide mouth keep the surface pressure in the train on the liquid surface low enough for efficient sweat distillation.
    I wasn't aware that it's that effective with bigger helmets but it indeed makes sense, thank you!
    Anyone who already did this mind to show some pics -or at least tell- what to expect (of certain amounts of oil/water/phlegm) when distilling a certain amount of plant matter this way? Is it possible to extract reasonable amounts of essential oils out of Lamiaceas?

Quote Originally Posted by z0 K View Post
    How about using a big Alembic (let's say, 3.000 ml) with a small flask (say, 500 ml)? Any problems with that?

Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Because for some high temperature operations nothing beats the retort, specially the ones without stoppers. The substances or mixtures to be submitted to the action of a strong fire were loaded through the retort's side-arm and then wholly placed inside a furnace, only the side-arm sticking out and attached to the condenser and/or receiver. That means the body of the retort could be made glowing hot. If the retort was made of clay it could be used "as is" directly. If it was made of glass it was first coated with a refractory paste (usually composed out of mixtures of sand & clay) in order to allow it to keep its shape during the strong heating.

It depends on what you are submitting to distillation. If it is a substance or mixture that does not leave any hard, strongly-attached-to-the-glass substances behind in the retort, then you most likely will not have to break the retort in order to extract what remains inside the retort, or clean the retort for another use. But if what you are distilling does become strongly attached to the glass, or produces sublimates that are difficult to remove through the stopper or the side-arm of the retort, then you will most likely have to sacrifice the retort in order to be able to retrieve them.

Yes. But since they are no longer inexpensive pieces, and not as commonly found as they once were, their use has been more limited. But if you hit upon a working process that generates enough profit to more than cover the cost of potentially having to break the retort to be able to carry it out, then this issue should not be a problem. The problem is hitting upon said profitable process first!
    Interesting.

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    From experience, bigger helmets (with wider necks as well) can give better results in some works of salt volatilization, especially when working with larger quantities of matter.

The spirit & phlegm will go into the receiver, while the volatilized salts will mostly condense/crystallize on the inside of the (cooled) helmet.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Sternbach View Post
    How about using a big Alembic (let's say, 3.000 ml) with a small flask (say, 500 ml)? Any problems with that?
    The weight of the alembic on the boiling flask is the problemo.

You would need to order a "flanged" kit; like the one I have. These have huge, solid, wide mouthed opening (i can stick my whole hand in both my two litre boiling flask and my five ltr alembic hood)

This is the perfect alembic; because the wide mouth and large than reactiin vessel top allows for super sweet gentle distillation.

Which IS ITS PURPOSE. Do not buy one of these if you just want something pretty looking to distill your water; these are extrememly un-efficient apparatus and are designed to assistive; basically not in distilling and condensing bit rather evaporation vs condensation.
    Join me; on a voyage of stupidity, and self discovery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=vccZSHroTG4

Blog Entries
    But the perfect set-up is some serious dollars. As you can expect. Way more than any of the prices mentioned here so far.

Quote Originally Posted by elixirmixer View Post
    The weight of the alembic on the boiling flask is the problemo.

You would need to order a "flanged" kit; like the one I have. These have huge, solid, wide mouthed opening (i can stick my whole hand in both my two litre boiling flask and my five ltr alembic hood)

This is the perfect alembic; because the wide mouth and large than reactiin vessel top allows for super sweet gentle distillation.

Which IS ITS PURPOSE. Do not buy one of these if you just want something pretty looking to distill your water; these are extrememly un-efficient apparatus and are designed to assistive; basically not in distilling and condensing bit rather evaporation vs condensation.
    So is the weight issue the only reason for not to using a big alembic head with a significantly smaller flask? Or are there other potential problems as well?

I am asking this because I have repeatedly heard by now that the Alembic should be as big as possible (regarding both its volume and its mouth).

However, some of the ancient drawings do show a fairly small helmet on top of a rather voluminous apparatus.

Blog Entries
    Not any other issues that im aware of.
    Last edited by Andro; 2 Days Ago at 05:38 AM. Reason: Thread topic management.
    Join me; on a voyage of stupidity, and self discovery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=vccZSHroTG4

+ Reply to Thread