Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

Patrons of the Sacred Art

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Glass Alembic

Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    Thank you for this clear explanation JDP.

Tips like this can be so helpful in our lab work and can save a lot of time
    and money.

Have you worked with butter of antimony ?
    Yes.

Also, in order to clean the glassware used for experiments with such metallic/semi-metallic "butters", you will also need diluted solutions of hydrochloric acid. These substances hydrolyze with water, so, if you try to clean the glassware with plain water first they will form annoying white precipitates of oxychlorides. So, first they need to be rinsed with dilute hydrochloric acid solution two or three times, which gets rid of practically all the residues of these "butters". Then the glassware can be cleaned with regular water, as usual.

Just to add this, as nobody else seems to have yet. ... IF you want an alembic for truly low-temp work, i.e. sweating etc. It might behoove you to construct your own from certain plastics or other things.

And before all the talk about leeching.

It's my understanding that the stone could be made using clay pots with who-knows-what kind of impurities leeching into the material, especially if they were unglazed. I'm not going into detail, I think everyone knows my feelings about ppm and ppb scale impurities by now.

But, low temp, 40-60C, that's doable with plastics. And even if not, you can get away with sketchy glass if it serves the purpose. Not everything has to be pyrex/boro/quartz. Especially if the principal use will be for sweating out some herbs.

Now, higher temp for mineral work or pyro...back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Yes.

Also, in order to clean the glassware used for experiments with such metallic/semi-metallic "butters", you will also need diluted solutions of hydrochloric acid. These substances hydrolyze with water, so, if you try to clean the glassware with plain water first they will form annoying white precipitates of oxychlorides. So, first they need to be rinsed with dilute hydrochloric acid solution two or three times, which gets rid of practically all the residues of these "butters". Then the glassware can be cleaned with regular water, as usual.
    From these replies I can see you have been busy in your lab over the years.

This type of experience only comes with a dedication to The Work and many
    long hours in the lab working with dangerous materials.

If we don't own an alembic another alternative is a heated distillation train
    and receiver ... this works well.

From these replies I can see you have been busy in your lab over the years.

This type of experience only comes with a dedication to The Work and many
    long hours in the lab working with dangerous materials.

If we don't own an alembic another alternative is a heated distillation train
    and receiver ... this works well.
    Antimony has a pretty bad reputation. It is not as toxic as for example mercury. But some compounds on the other hand are.

Quote Originally Posted by Florius Frammel View Post
    Antimony has a pretty bad reputation. It is not as toxic as for example mercury. But some compounds on the other hand are.
    Yes FF I totally agree.

Both Antimony and Mercury can be deadly poisons.

Many years ago I extracted a tincture of antimony and thinking it to be
    a great elixir I consumed what I considered to be a micro dose and within
    minutes became violently ill .... purging from both ends.

Very easy to die from large ego and small knowledge !!!

Apologies Mr. Schmuldvich for getting a bit off track.

All good, friend! I enjoy fruitful discussion!

It's the mods you should be worried about

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon's Tail View Post
    Just to add this, as nobody else seems to have yet. ... IF you want an alembic for truly low-temp work, i.e. sweating etc. It might behoove you to construct your own from certain plastics or other things.

But, low temp, 40-60C, that's doable with plastics. And even if not, you can get away with sketchy glass if it serves the purpose. Not everything has to be pyrex/boro/quartz. Especially if the principal use will be for sweating out some herbs.
    I am wholeheartedly against using anything other than glass in my work.

The only exception I can think of is using a wooden skewer to stir/manage my Matter, but other than that my Matter touches nothing but glass.

You are completely correct; pyrex/boro/quartz is no concern of mine for the temperatures I work with--regular ol' glass should work fine for the ranges I entertain, hence the wide mouth I desire to have on my alembic.

I appreciate the input. Keep it coming!

Yes FF I totally agree.

Both Antimony and Mercury can be deadly poisons.

Many years ago I extracted a tincture of antimony and thinking it to be
    a great elixir I consumed what I considered to be a micro dose and within
    minutes became violently ill .... purging from both ends.

Very easy to die from large ego and small knowledge !!!

That's exactly what it was mostly used for in former times

Blog Entries
    Boro is always inportant. Regular glass will quickly weaken and shatter due to the tempurature differences. A temp difference of 30 degrees can be enough to fuck regular glass while boro can widthstand differences over 100 degs
    Join me; on a voyage of stupidity, and self discovery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=vccZSHroTG4

Quote Originally Posted by elixirmixer View Post
    Boro is always inportant. Regular glass will quickly weaken and shatter due to the tempurature differences. A temp difference of 30 degrees can be enough to fuck regular glass while boro can widthstand differences over 100 degs
    That's why common glass should not be heated directly. Always use water-baths, sand-baths or refractory coatings for heating common glass. That way you can gradually heat them and avoid thermal shocks that might make them crack.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    That's why common glass should not be heated directly. Always use water-baths, sand-baths or refractory coatings for heating common glass. That way you can gradually heat them and avoid thermal shocks that might make them crack.
    Interesting......
    Join me; on a voyage of stupidity, and self discovery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=vccZSHroTG4

+ Reply to Thread