Patrons of the Sacred Art

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The Vow of the Hand of the Philosophers

Quote Originally Posted by elixirmixer View Post
    using limestone to create salt-petre
    This might interest you

"Preface" by Eugenius Philalethes, 1657

When he speaks of rain and dew I am contented to think, he means something else than what is vulgarly so called.

And I doubt not but his Salt petri is something different from that which is combustible and common.

The Philosophers Dew, if I know it at all is a dry water, and their salt-peter is a most white incombustible body of a gummy aerial nature, and indeed, if my eyes have not deceived me, it is so aerial and unctuous that it will no more mingle with water than common oil will.

I have for trial taken it in its gross body, and putting it in distilled rain water have digested it for a full fortnight, without the addition of any third thing, but they would never mix, the Nitre notwithstanding many long and violent agitations of the glass, keeping still apart in the form of butter or oil more white than snow.

The truth is there is no affinity between this Salt-peter and water, for it is not made of water, but of air hid and condensed in water.

We see also that the air is a dry spirit and wets nothing; but the mist or vapor of the water incorporating with the air wets all things.

Even so those bodies or substances which are generated of air retain the first complexion of their parents; this dry aerial humidity being predominant in them as is evident in common quicksilver and in all resinous substances, as vegetable and mineral gums which will not mix with water.

But this will not be more apparent to those who know that universal gum or sperm whereof Nitre is made, which is neither Dew nor Rain, but a water and no water; that is it is a dry water whereof see D’Espagnet in the 49 the canon of his first aphoristical part.

Here is the reason then why Nitre Philosophical will not dissolve in nor mix with common water; for it is a fat, oleous, airy substance, made by natural congelation of a mercurial dry humidity which separates from phlegm, as is evident in that succus vitalis and great Lunary of Lully.
    Last edited by Schmuldvich; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:07 AM.

But this will not be more apparent to those who know that universal gum or sperm whereof Nitre is made, which is neither Dew nor Rain, but a water and no water; that is it is a dry water whereof see D’Espagnet in the 49 the canon of his first aphoristical part.
    Reflection on this, through a new looking glass reveals something intrinsically deceptive about the way philosophers write. The clues are in there, but never where you expect to see them

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon's Tail View Post
    Reflection on this, through a new looking glass reveals something intrinsically deceptive about the way philosophers write. The clues are in there, but never where you expect to see them
    Perhaps we need a urim and thummim looking glass ???

Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    Perhaps we need a urim and thummim looking glass ???
    Nope, just "different." Same glass, our common glass, different prescription

Some more info on 'the hand' at this link: http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showt...osopher-s-Hand

+ Reply to Thread