Patrons of the Sacred Art

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is R.A.M.S. worth checking out?

Is R.A.M.S. worth checking out?

I see it has been talked a lot around here and there, but are the instructions, recipes, etc in it trustworthy? I could get a copy if it is worth buying.

Yes, RAMS is a wonderful resource! Well worth the small $50 price tag.

It will not give you any special instructions, recipes, etc.

The texts in RAMS are mostly freely available on the internet already (See here, here, and here), but there is about 10% of the texts that are not easy to find floating around the internet.

If you are seeking out a particular text, most of the more obscure texts that are not easy to find with a simple Google search can be found in PDF form on Scribd, Archive, Megaupload, Mediafire, or torrent sites.

Only a couple of the texts that cannot be easily found are true gems, and none will give you the answers that you seek.

Buy it! RAMS is an extremely valuable resource to anyone seriously studying Alchemy.

If you are able to read french and/or german, it's not necessary imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lykia View Post
    I see it has been talked a lot around here and there, but are the instructions, recipes, etc in it trustworthy? I could get a copy if it is worth buying.
    It's a mixed bag, a reflection of alchemical and chymical literature themselves. Some of the stuff is worthless, some other is valuable and interesting. As for "recipes" and instructions: none of it all too clear regarding the Stone, as befits most alchemical literature, where the substances to be used are heavily hidden under a barrage of often fanciful "decknamen", but many chymical processes for obtaining gold or silver are given with sufficient clarity (example: like the works of Glauber or some of the compilations of Bacstrom.) Beware, though, that the majority of them are phony baloney and do not deliver what they promise. Many of these processes will in fact make you lose money! And I mean besides the expenditure in lab vessels and energy employed in carrying them out. For example, one process prescribed by Glauber ends up wasting some of the silver involved, instead of the supposed "augmentation" of its mass that he promises. Glauber was such a malicious chymist, he totally enjoyed making others waste time & money on false processes; and rest assured he did not do it out of honest error or ignorance on his part, as he was in fact an excellent experimenter, very well acquainted with all the techniques of assaying, and was himself even responsible for introducing new methods. He even came close to discovering oxygen! Sadistic bastard; he did what he did fully intentionally, no doubt about it. Even entire books (for example: "Glauberus Refutatus", the work of a self-styled "Antiglauberus") were written against him and the loads of false processes and lies his books are packed with. But contrary to what his most fervent critics say, every now and then he actually drops some interesting morsels of naked truth right in the middle of that chaos of lies and empty boasts regarding transmutation in his books. So there's two sides of the coin. Unfortunately, the negative side outweighs the positive.

RAMs is ok, however I have found a few inconsistencies and mistranslations.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
    RAMs is ok, however I have found a few inconsistencies and mistranslations.
    "A few" is an understatement

Indeed

+ Reply to Thread