Patrons of the Sacred Art

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Not just in the East

Not just in the East

For the origins of our art, let us diversify our focus not just to China and the Middle-East, but look for similar clues in Ancient American cultures:

http://www.native-languages.org/legends-flood.htm

I like this one:
    http://www.native-languages.org/ojibwestory3.htm

I'm probably beating the drum at this point, but I don't think the discovery of alchemy was a singular mistake that happened once in one place, and I don't think it's origins began with complex distillation methods. There's something about the way human beings weathered the old times that taught our ancestors a vital forgotten secret.

Maybe this only applies to spagyrics (thus, why I stuck it here), but the similarities are quite striking.

Thankyou, I never read that before. I feel bad for Nanabozho's cousin. :*(

All those flood myths from native American tribes add to the likelihood of there once having been an oceanic civilization in the Atlantic, that sank and was lost. The Sumerians and Egyptians had similar tales. And there are other kinds of evidence as well.

Some believe that Atlantis was the birth place of Alchemy and other occult sciences. I find this theory very intriguing. It makes a lot of sense at least as a working hypothesis. The truth (if we will ever learn it) may be a little more complex, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Sternbach View Post
    All those flood myths from native American tribes add to the likelihood of there once having been an oceanic civilization in the Atlantic, that sank and was lost. The Sumerians and Egyptians had similar tales. And there are other kinds of evidence as well.

Some believe that Atlantis was the birth place of Alchemy and other occult sciences. I find this theory very intriguing. It makes a lot of sense at least as a working hypothesis. The truth (if we will ever learn it) may be a little more complex, however.
    In almost every account, the deluge lasts for a minimum number, specified in days ranging from 7-40 (from what I've seen). I think these stories carry a deeper meaning. When I first learned of the sumerian deluge mythology, I though it was convincing that such a flood actually did occur in the Indus Valley at some point, and also that there was a chain of stolen stories from Sumeria to Egypt, and then into the desert with Moses.

The Native American additions of the "flood," as well as the earth being born from a deluge, mean something else entirely. These stories didn't arise from one civilization, but are rather stories that come easily from almost any group of wandering humans after they begin writing stuff down. I believe there's a cause for this, as well as one for their survival, in that all of these accounts hide some deeper meaning, some secret. Perhaps the secret of creating the stone, which may have interfered with societal norms as cities started to grow larger? I dunno, but there's definitely something to all the similarities.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon's Tail View Post
    I believe there's a cause for this, as well as one for their survival, in that all of these accounts hide some deeper meaning, some secret. Perhaps the secret of creating the stone, which may have interfered with societal norms as cities started to grow larger? I dunno, but there's definitely something to all the similarities.
    As I see it, all of myths actually describe some pieces of secret knowledge. You'd be surprised to read some of the Russian so-called "faery-tales for children", which speak about finding princess in ugly disguise of toad under the tree in the swamp, etc., etc., etc. Too bad that most of those myths became corrupted over time, when storytellers started looking at them as some fantasy "fairy-tales" and twisted the storylines with adding some new metaphors, allegories, events and other things to make it look more like "faery-tale".

Also, as Above, so Below, according to old traditions, there are big deluges, which happen every so often in a whole, then there are constant purifications by fire in-between deluges. Deluge/Fire/Deluge/Fire... Similar processes seem to happen in Alchemical operations. Constant repeat of "Solve et Coagula".

It may well be that all these North American and Medo American myths are remnants of ancient memories of a cataclysmic event, such as the impact of a comet around 10.900 BC (100 years) - which coincides roughly with the time of the destruction of Atlantis as indicated by Plato and almost exactly with the time given by Edgar Cayce and Graham Hancock.

The largest effect of the impact was supposedly the melting of the Arctic ice sheet, so the submergence of a marine civilization seems plausible.

http://m.pnas.org/content/104/41/16016.full

That most mythology has a basis in real events doesn't imply that no metaphorical meaning can be ascribed to it, as even Plato did when he shared the story of Atlantis in his works Timaios and Kritias.

Quote Originally Posted by Warmheart View Post
    You'd be surprised to read some of the Russian so-called "faery-tales for children", which speak about finding princess in ugly disguise of toad under the tree in the swamp, etc., etc., etc. Too bad that most of those myths became corrupted over time, when storytellers started looking at them as some fantasy "fairy-tales" and twisted the storylines with adding some new metaphors, allegories, events and other things to make it look more like "faery-tale".

As I see it, all of myths actually describe some pieces of secret knowledge.
    Exactly!

But fun aside, that's really interesting. Besides, a lot of researchers of those myths explain the similarities with our beloved Jung and his collective unconcious. Sounds logical in a way too.

+ Reply to Thread