Patrons of the Sacred Art

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: The Book of Knowledge Acquired Concerning the Cultivation of Gold, Al-‘Iraqi

Blog Entries

The Book of Knowledge Acquired Concerning the Cultivation of Gold, Al-‘Iraqi

When I was in Portland, OR last month I happened across a copy of Al-‘Iraqi’s The Book of Knowledge Acquired Concerning the Cultivation of Gold, translated by E.J. Holmyard.

If there is enough interest, I can scan it to .pdf and make it available for download. It’s only 50 pages, but quite a good read.
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiorionis View Post
    When I was in Portland, OR last month I happened across a copy of Al-‘Iraqi’s The Book of Knowledge Acquired Concerning the Cultivation of Gold, translated by E.J. Holmyard.

If there is enough interest, I can scan it to .pdf and make it available for download. It’s only 50 pages, but quite a good read.
    That's a very important text. Please do scan it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiorionis View Post

Excellent work, but, as far as I know, Holmyard's translation is still under copyright (that's why it is not available in Google Books), so it is not technically "legal" to make it available in a public forum.

Blog Entries
    Ah, I hadn’t considered that...
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

If we intend to use if for educational purposes only (at least in the US) and not commercial use then it is permitted to share copies as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by z0 K View Post
    If we intend to use if for educational purposes only (at least in the US) and not commercial use then it is permitted to share copies as far as I know.
    That only applies to brief quotations/excerpts taken from a given copyrighted book, but not for reproducing the entire book. For example, I can quote a passage from the book in question (in fact, I have already done so in another thread a while back), but I can't "quote" the entire book. For making public complete reproductions of books still under copyright, you need written permission from the copyright holders.

Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Excellent work, but, as far as I know, Holmyard's translation is still under copyright (that's why it is not available in Google Books), so it is not technically "legal" to make it available in a public forum.
    I did a Google search and thought I was able to go through all the pages in the book but my excitement was short-lived... It was a different Holmyard book
    Last edited by Aham; 07-17-2018 at 02:58 AM. Reason: Misfire

Quote Originally Posted by Aham View Post
    I did a Google search and was able to go through all the pages in the book by using the link below:

http://books.google.com/books?id=7Bt...epage&q&f=true

Let me know if this works for you guys too
    Yep, good link! Whole book. But not the book this thread is about.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmuldvich View Post
    Yep, good link! Whole book. But not the book this thread is about.
    Yep, too bad.

Expensive to buy as well... I was just thinking about checking out the local library catalogs to see if I could borrow the book instead.

If you happen to find a solution please inform me too. I'm also interested in that book

+ Reply to Thread