Patrons of the Sacred Art

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Details for Paracelsusís ĎAlkahestí formula or version?

Question Details for Paracelsusís ĎAlkahestí formula or version?

I did some research and allegedly though the actual Alkahest hasn’t been discovered I figured atleast I can try using whatever discovery was the closest.

So what is the recipe for Paracelsus’s ‘Alkahest’ and is a distiller really needed or what (Plus of what kind)? If ethanol is required how ‘pure’ does it have to be? (I live in a country where it’s heavily taxed).

Lastly would like to know what it can be used for making.

Also aside from that what components do most people that do what’s classified as ‘practical alchemy’ (Or close) instead of spagyrics here use?

Quote Originally Posted by KnowledgeSeeker View Post
    I did some research and allegedly though the actual Alkahest hasn’t been discovered I figured atleast I can try using whatever discovery was the closest.

So what is the recipe for Paracelsus’s ‘Alkahest’ and is a distiller really needed or what (Plus of what kind)? If ethanol is required how ‘pure’ does it have to be? (I live in a country where it’s heavily taxed).

Lastly would like to know what it can be used for making.

Also aside from that what components do most people that do what’s classified as ‘practical alchemy’ (Or close) instead of spagyrics here use?
    Actually, for Paracelsus the "alkahest" was just a specific medicine for the liver. It was van Helmont who, for reasons only known to him, bizarrely appropriated this name to denominate a solvent he claims to have discovered that supposedly reduced all substances back to their principles, while it itself remained unchanged (kind of like a catalytic agent on steroids!) Needless to say, such a claim, whether real or purely the figment of Helmont's imagination, has JACK-DIDDLY-SQUAT to do with the secret solvent of the alchemists, which, contrary to this pretended "alkahest" of Helmont, it eventually actually radically joins with the metallic matters it dissolves and forms entirely new stable substances, different from both "parents", and which CANNOT be reduced back to them: an alchemical "tincture".

Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Actually, for Paracelsus the "alkahest" was just a specific medicine for the liver. It was van Helmont who, for reasons only known to him, bizarrely appropriated this name to denominate a solvent he claims to have discovered that supposedly reduced all substances back to their principles, while it itself remained unchanged (kind of like a catalytic agent on steroids!) Needless to say, such a claim, whether real or purely the figment of Helmont's imagination, has JACK-DIDDLY-SQUAT to do with the secret solvent of the alchemists, which, contrary to this pretended "alkahest" of Helmont, it eventually actually radically joins with the metallic matters it dissolves and forms entirely new stable substances, different from both "parents", and which CANNOT be reduced back to them: an alchemical "tincture".
    Which specific alchemists were reported to have actually used it and knew how to prepare it? Also what would be a more genuine name?

To add - What is the 'recipe' mentioned that they supposedly found which is a solvent made of: Qucklime, Potassium Carbonate and Ethanol (Of idk percentage) that dissolves things strongly?

+ Reply to Thread