Patrons of the Sacred Art

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Green Lion devouring the Sun

Quote Originally Posted by Florius Frammel View Post
    And what was wrong with my post? What you describe is what I had in mind when suggesting the use of "more fire".
    Neither you, Weidenfeld, nor I did the slow process with white Iron Sulfate. Or do you want to use or proof a chemical theory here to predict the result of an experiment you haven't done yourself? I thought you were the one rejecting theories and relying on practical experience only.
    How do you know Weidenfeld didn't try it? He seems very convinced that it is impossible to do such a thing. And he wasn't relying on any modern "theories" for this statement. Empirical experience with these salts will tell you how they behave with heat. No reliable source that I know of has ever seen iron vitriol redden at such low temperatures. It is a stable salt that requires stronger heats to decompose.

Yes, it seems that this was common practice and done a lot of times. An interesting question is whether the authors of the 13 secret letters, including Federico Gualdi knew this. Even Johann Kunckel had high hopes to find the secret fire in or with Iron Sulfate.
    Heck, even Clinge used this ruse! But you can tell he was being vague, misleading and providing mutilated information in this part since the things he says in other parts of his works do not fit with such a simplistic and common procedure as the "weathering" of pyrites/marcasites. There's no way of getting the results he describes with such common and well-known procedures.
    Last edited by JDP; 2 Days Ago at 08:00 PM.

Blog Entries
    It ain't necessarily so.
    If you do this without the crystal water, at a very low temperature (40C) over a longer period of time ~14 days, it should work even with a stopper without danger.

Source: Daniel Hornfisher - Lwe und Phnix
    what do you mean "crystal water"?

And thank you FF for clearly explaining what your talking about.
    Join me; on a voyage of stupidity, and self discovery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=vccZSHroTG4

Quote Originally Posted by elixirmixer View Post
    what do you mean "crystal water"?

And thank you FF for clearly explaining what your talking about.
    He means the water of crystallization of the salt. It is incorporated into the salt when it is crystallized, but it can be gotten rid of by heating it until the salt remains anhydrous.

Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    He means the water of crystallization of the salt. It is incorporated into the salt when it is crystallized, but it can be gotten rid of by heating it until the salt remains anhydrous.
    That's right.
    Thus some salts seem to have very low melting points and some even have more than one stable state with incorporated water. Each time when (slowly) heating more, it solves in it's own crystal water and coagulates again.

That's right.
    Thus some salts seem to have very low melting points and some even have more than one stable state with incorporated water. Each time when (slowly) heating more, it solves in it's own crystal water and coagulates again.
    In the case of iron vitriol, though, the only change is the loss of this crystallization water, the salt itself remains the same at such lower temperatures.

Blog Entries
    These waters of crystalization should not be over-looked.
    I distilled some rain water and waters of crystalization out from some desert roses (gypsum) simultaneously; the distilled water is not at all like regular water. It has a very strange smell to it; a bit metallic, and it also glows cyan under blacklight when both tap water and distilled water are completely transparent under blacklight.

I re-distilled the water; and it maintained its cyan colouring.
    Join me; on a voyage of stupidity, and self discovery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=vccZSHroTG4

These waters of crystalization should not be over-looked.
    I distilled some rain water and waters of crystalization out from some desert roses (gypsum) simultaneously; the distilled water is not at all like regular water. It has a very strange smell to it; a bit metallic, and it also glows cyan under blacklight when both tap water and distilled water are completely transparent under blacklight.

I re-distilled the water; and it maintained its cyan colouring.
    No big deal. They might be contaminated with volatile compounds of sulfur, for example, from the underground places they crystallized in. Nothing "weird" or "unusual".

Blog Entries
    hmmmm i have a piece of natural sulfur here; i will view it under black-light......

* 2 mins later *

Hmm strangely enough it has not luminescence. Not to say that other sulfur compounds wouldn't. The black light thing really interests me....

Have you worked with the whole Iron Pyrite thing JDP?

hmmmm i have a piece of natural sulfur here; i will view it under black-light......

* 2 mins later *

Hmm strangely enough it has not luminescence. Not to say that other sulfur compounds wouldn't. The black light thing really interests me....

I was referring to the different smell/taste. Nothing weird. The "black light" thing might be due to who knows what impurities.

What do you mean by "whole iron pyrite"? Is there any such thing as "incomplete iron pyrite"???

* 2 mins later *

The phenomena is called fluorescence. It works with Tonic Water as well (contains Chinin). There seem to be some interesting impurities in the australian desert.

+ Reply to Thread