Patrons of the Sacred Art

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Distilling methods with a 500mL retort?

Would a flat bottom retort be ok or not? Just asking. Also which substances in alchemy are volatile enough for a water bath?

So far as goes for sandbaths if using weaker borosilicate or normal class how thick should the sand be at the bottom? I tried it with water once with a certain layer but it wasn't hot enough to heat up.

Quote Originally Posted by KnowledgeSeeker View Post
    Would a flat bottom retort be ok or not?
    It depends. For heating in water/sand-baths or even directly on a hot plate they are OK, but not for an open flame. They tend to crack more easily from thermal shock than the round-bottom ones.

Also which substances in alchemy are volatile enough for a water bath?
    Those that are more volatile than water itself. Example: alcohol.

So far as goes for sandbaths if using weaker borosilicate or normal class how thick should the sand be at the bottom? I tried it with water once with a certain layer but it wasn't hot enough to heat up.
    The thicker the layer of sand that the vessel stands on, the less heat that will get to it. You only need a thin layer at the bottom of the bath, where the bottom of the glass vessel will rest on, and then surround about 1/4 or 1/3 of it with more sand.

Blog Entries
    My experience with sand baths has been a way to avoid the evaporation of water in a water bath, but given the right heat source, they basically do the same thing, which is to disperse the heat evenly through the bottom of the glass.
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

Found the problem probably, in the previous retort they claimed 'it was not meant to be heated on a hot plate but on a heating mantle' and along those lines.

This one (The new one I'm getting) however it seems you can heat it on a hot plate 'up to 500 degrees'.
    Last edited by KnowledgeSeeker; 1 Week Ago at 03:11 PM.

+ Reply to Thread