Patrons of the Sacred Art

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Tibetan Book of the Dead a.k.a. Bardo Thodol

Quote Originally Posted by Awani View Post
    Yes... the whole things is best described like this:

That has to be the most profound answer I've never seen!

If you cannot be asked to read... I find this is a nice thing to fall asleep to... no pun intended...
    I read the entire book many years ago. I rarely remember my dreams, and if I do, they are usually quite vague.

However, very shortly after my Father passed away, I had a very vivid dream where my Father told me that I should read this book as it was extremely important. This was a strange dream, since at the time, I had never heard of a "Tibetan" book of the dead before - only the Egyptian Book of the Dead. I did some research and discovered that indeed, there was a Tibetan version, so I read it a decade and a half ago.

It was quite profound, but at the time, I didn't quite understand it. I still have the book, and will have to re-read it to see if it now makes sense.

Blog Entries
    You should. I think it is awesome. Makes total sense. I would go for the one I mentioned I have, because that includes a lot more than the "famous" Liberation through hearing chapter aka Book of the Dead.

Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

From my understanding, the Tibetan Book of the Dead shows pictures of what literally happens to us after death, however it's not that simple.

Several books I've read that talk about Hell, and people with heads of other animals and people being tormented...(the heads representing the type of person he/she is...EX: Swine=lust) This all happens in what they call the lowest ''spheres'' aka Hell, the bottomless pit where from my understanding the most dense and evil kind of individuals go to after death... whether it's the Astral Realm or Ethereal I'm not sure exactly.

A Wanderer in the Spirit Lands By Franchezzo and Tibetan Book of the Dead seem to be synchronizing with each other if you care to read them both. Both books want the author to have a literal picture of what goes on in the afterlife.

*rest assured, because from my understanding, it takes a great measure of evil to fall into this bottomless pit, and I don't think just your average joe journeys there once they die... also, I'm still trying to refine my own understanding so take what I say here with a grain of salt*

In the first picture... It's clear to me that the angel on the right is looking at the guy's junk.

The second picture... Look who's journeying to that god awful place (Hell)... On the boat, take a look at those peoples faces and what they are wearing. They look like a group of rich men from the 17th century or something on their way to what they probably think is some resort... otherwise, why so chill? A crown, fat, smirks on their face... I think the author wants us to look at these individuals in a certain type of way based on how they were drawn.

Attached Images
    Last edited by Andro; 08-27-2018 at 03:58 PM. Reason: PixFix. See thread: "Posting Images & Videos".

You should. I think it is awesome. Makes total sense. I would go for the one I mentioned I have, because that includes a lot more than the "famous" Liberation through hearing chapter aka Book of the Dead.

OK, even though I have an older version, I just ordered the Graham Coleman edition that you recommended. Maybe this translation is more understandable than the one i have.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Illen A. Cluf View Post
    OK, even though I have an older version, I just ordered the Graham Coleman edition that you recommended. Maybe this translation is more understandable than the one i have.
    Regardless it is a beautiful book to have in your collection (that you cannot bring with you). I do find that hoarding books is not totally futile as they can be passed down... and the only thing that has any material value... more so than gold and other crap.

Quote Originally Posted by tAlchemist View Post
    From my understanding, the Tibetan Book of the Dead shows pictures of what literally happens to us after death, however it's not that simple.
    It is a guide for life and death. And it is meant to be something you read to a person dying to help that person become liberated and avoid Samsara.

Several books I've read that talk about Hell, and people with heads of other animals and people being tormented...
    This is only my view, but I don't think you need to focus on hell or be afraid of hell... there is a great chance that you will expereince "more" of it if you do. LOL. According to The Tibetan Book of the Dead all that stuff is only projections from your own "mind" anyway. A trick to make you want to re-enter another body... it is very hard to loose ego...

The clear light, or luminoisty of God or whatever you want to call it, is no place for ego.

If someone knows how to make the pictures I've attactched to show without clicking them, please help me edit it!
    See THIS thread.

Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

It is a guide for life and death. And it is meant to be something you read to a person dying to help that person become liberated and avoid Samsara.
    yes grandpa, you see that giant devil creature looking at you from... maybe 30ft away, yes, ignore it and go to the light hahahaha sorry

In your opinion, if one has no ''Ego'' then they won't be finding themselves in places shown in the images of Tibetan Book of Dead? Look at what the white guys are doing in the first picture I linked... Definitely seems like these guys could have a ''big ego''... But is ego bad? What makes this projection possible? What determines it? This I don't understand... definitely not the people in the picture consciously doing it. Who'd want to consciously get their face ripped off?

Regardless it is a beautiful book to have in your collection (that you cannot bring with you). I do find that hoarding books is not totally futile as they can be passed down... and the only thing that has any material value... more so than gold and other crap.
    I now have the book and look forward to reading it. I agree about the books. I have a collection of about 5,000 books - mostly reference and rare non-fiction (alchemy, grail, esoterics, history, philosophy, theology, religion, science, chemistry, etc.). I often refer back to the books for reference purposes, and sometimes for re-reading.

Blog Entries
    Im loving this book. Really gives you a sense of the fact that we are living a strange physical dream...
    Join me; on a voyage of stupidity, and self discovery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=vccZSHroTG4

Blog Entries
    yes grandpa, you see that giant devil creature looking at you from... maybe 30ft away, yes, ignore it and go to the light
    Well... might be good advice when you are actually in that situation.

In your opinion, if one has no ''Ego'' then they won't be finding themselves in places shown in the images of Tibetan Book of Dead?
    The unknown is always scary... I don't find the images in the Tibetan Book of the Dead scary... my mind is liberated from the Christian-only perspective of "angels" and "gods"... and based on my own experiences these "beings" that clutter all realities here and there can look very strange indeed.

But to answer your question: in my opinion the Book says that you have to recall that "it is all in your mind" and "go to the light"... if you do not (and most people do not) you will first go through "heaven" and then through "hell" and then back here... on Earth. And you can always "exit" at any point... however it gets harder the deeper into the bardo you journey. There is also another option: to choose rebirth in order to help others become liberated... which makes you a "prophet".... In simplified terms.

+ Reply to Thread