Patrons of the Sacred Art

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Morning Star

Morning Star

A lot of texts suggest to follow a star. Especially the morning star, or the "north" star.

Interestingly in roman mythology Lucifer, the bringer of light, also called "Demiurg" in some believe systems is a personification of the morning star.

Etymologically lucifer means "carrier of light".

Lucifer is the same like the greek Phosphorus, the bringer of the Aurora Consurgens, or the golden dawn. Venus is sometimes called lucifer too, sometimes as lucifer's spouse or lover.

Those mostly positive connotation of the pre-christian era were adopted by the early christians.
    But the jews identified the morning star as a fallen angel and an enemy of israel.

From the 4th century on it became a very negative symbol (Satan) in christianity too.

If we now are told to follow the morning star in alchemy and look at these sources we could assume we're told:

1) to follow Satan
    2) the bringer of light
    3) the direction "north"
    4) the metal copper
    5) stories about venus (see picture below)

6) the light
    7) darkness as the opposite of light
    8) ..can be continued
    9) all or some of the above

As most texts we have access to were written far after the 4th century, it could indeed mean that the neophytes were told to follow the devil in such a coded way (your typical alchemical instruction) the churches won't notice.

To be fair, most texts I know who speak about the following of this star stem from the Fulcanelli lineage.

Are we all devil's advocates?
    Last edited by Florius Frammel; 10-11-2018 at 10:36 AM.

And here I was naively thinking that this cool heavy metal album from the 80s

was just that... but it turns out it was an alchemical treatise in disguise all along!

I do indeed think that the connection can be important.

There is also another guy in Fulcanelli's books, who carries something important:

St. Christopherus carrying Jesus, "the light of the world" (John 8,12).

Though unlike the Heavy Metal nerds who just intended to upset their parents, here is imo definately a connection that goes deeper and that can help understand Fulcanelli and the Christian mysteries a bit better. Both not irrelevant to alchemy as you know.

Each time he talks about the (north) star, or the three wise men from the orient (BTW, here is imo a connection or reason why some instructions order to align certain devices north, others east), you can flip over to the part of St. Christopherus. And as Jesus' first symbol was the fish, you can as well read the fishing parts and his comments about the Gallette des Rois. It's so obvious.

As the jewish lineage won't use christian motives there are other symbols used. Most important to those examples here imo is the hollow oak, that is also described by Fulcanelli (and originally comes from Abraham Eliazare the Jew).

Edit: Oh, and there is this other guy who lived as a "star" in the sky and was first placed very far out by Jupiter/Zeus (both origins of the name "Jesus" BTW -no kidding), and fell down to earth. On this occasion he hurt his legs and got limp from thereon. He can often be seen with his scythe and an hourglass.

Vulcanus is attributed to the cock (see B.V.), the lion, the spruce (see the trees in the pic of the "old one" in the Donum Dei) and iron.

Some say the "pherus" in Christo"pherus" is a hint to "ferrum", which means "iron" and is usually connected with mars.

To close the circle, you can look up the mythological story of the mnage trois of vulcanus, mars and venus.

Fulcanelli further describes the star one should follow as being seven-pointed. I can imagine it's probably this one:

You must see that this is way more useful than your "scared by Eddie" motive you tried to impose on my first post.
    Last edited by Florius Frammel; 10-12-2018 at 04:03 AM.

I think the symbol of St. Christopher was very useful to reoccupy the place of the archetype of the "carrier", that became vacant after the "fall" of lucifer for obvious reasons.
    Similar "carrier" symbol but with a slightly different meaning (imo) can be seen in this picture from dwellings:

Compare it with this picture by Canseliet and especially note the "freight" in both cases:

Edit: The pronounciation of the words vaisseau and oiseaux (it's the same) and their translation (ship/glass and birds) should be considered too when looking at those pictures.
    Last edited by Florius Frammel; 10-23-2018 at 12:35 PM.

In french a "vaisseau" is an outdated term to describe something akin to a goblet or bowl made to contain liquids. The Graal is an archetypal vaisseau.

As a side note about Venus in east asian culture:

In particular buddhist lores it is said that Enlightenment occurs when Venus enters the mouth. It's equated with the boddhisattva Akashagarba (Kkz Bosatsu in japanese).

Very interresting thread by the way.

Yes, my translation "glass" wasn't very precice.

See "Le Vaisseau" by Jean-Julien Champagne:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Florius Frammel View Post
    Interestingly in roman mythology Lucifer, the bringer of light, also called "Demiurg" in some believe systems is a personification of the morning star.
    I'm no authority, but I don't think Lucifer and Demiurge are one and the same.

The Demiurge is the "god of matter/creation". In Gnosticism the Demiurge is "the Devil" i.e. the bad guy. Whilst Lucifer is "dawn" and "venus/love".

Garden of Eden = the Lab
    The Fruit = the Stone
    The Creator, GOD aka The Devil = Demiurge
    The Serpent = Lucifer
    Satan = does not exist unless you view it as another name for Demiurge.

Dont let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

When you go under the sun, if something is on the way of the light (whatever the obstacle), it creates a drop shadow on something, somewhere.
    Satan is the obstacle and Lucifer is the drop shadow : this is the difference of the both.

Our world is a world of shadows, when you turn your back to the sun you have your own shadow in the front of you, when you turn yourself to the sun, no shadow in the front of you anymore, "it" stays behind !
    We are here to turn ourselves to the light and leave our shadows behind us

Alchemy is a way to do it, gnosis too (not gnosticism which is the result of an alteration of gnosis).
    Last edited by Chrysa Lead; 10-24-2018 at 11:46 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrysa Lead View Post
    Satan is the obstacle and Lucifer is the drop shadow which results of it : this is the difference of the both.
    Satan may be the obstacle, but in your allegory Lucifer is the lamp/sun. IMV.*

*in my view
    Dont let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Awani View Post
    Satan may be the obstacle, but in your allegory Lucifer is the lamp/sun. IMV.*

*in my view
    No Awani, in my allegory the lamp is "God and the divine fields".

+ Reply to Thread