Patrons of the Sacred Art

Can't log in? Contact Us

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by Coleridgean View Post
    The crucible is symbolic itself as a chamber in which to Cross two substances (like the two right-angled lines of a cross) - the philosophical mercury and the philosophical sulfur - in order to achieve the Great Work.

(...)

So yes Venus IS the vessel, just as all of these references are to a type of vessel, which is ultimately representative of the egg, hermetically sealed, in which the work takes place bringing together the male and female (sulphuric and mercurial) sperms so to speak
    I don't know Dom Pernety, but on this forum I learned another possible viewpoint. It actually matches with what the Golden Chain of Homer has to say. The picture is from
    this post.

Here traditionally the second symbol/sign means "salt" and not "alkali", but I guess in this case it's meant as a symbol for the "fixed" principle, or the patiens.

Whereas the niter here stands for the "volatile" principle or the agens.

Some say it's therefore not only a fixed (probably the sulfur) and a volatile (probably the mercury) actual substance, but several that fit these particular properties.

Others (or even the same) say it's actually not even (only) about substances, but the use of polarities, opposites, oppo"sames" to provide conditions for the mercury (and subsequentally the sulfur) to "form" or somehow "collect".

Note that when these two polarities, as symbolically shown in the horizontal and vertical lines of niter and salt/alkali is mixed, it gives the cross and a symbol of the crucible, thus a(nother?) carrier in which the great work (combination of mercury and sulfur, see above) takes place.

Note that the sulfur, that in certain lineages should be imbibed with his mercury, because of this action again can be labeled as "patiens"(female), mercury as "agens"(male).

As you see here it gets difficult to really stick with an allocation of the male and female. Maybe that's a reason why the symbol of the hermaphrodite or the androgynous has been invented.

So yes, in a way it matches to what you say.
    Last edited by Florius Frammel; 10-28-2018 at 08:44 AM.

This from Coleridge on Alkalis:

Hence the moving and impregning of the Spirit is the first act of possibilitation, as the Lucific Word was the first creative act or the first act of realization.—Yet as Light was separated from, called out of the Ether, it must have been Ether, or some result of its ceasing to be Ether.—And this is to be sought for. If the first P/la€7Z0flZ6'71{fiŁ Forces be presumed, as Carbon and Azote, now under the predominance of C. in all proportions, now of A.—but in both classes under the necessity of an inter- mediate, which is either Oxygen or Hydrogen or both (as Water) in equilibrium or as the predominance of the one or the other, both present remaining active: then the division of Bodies into Combustive, Combustible & Salty Neutral, or Acids, Alkalies, and Salts (the Metals included under Alkalies) would be convenient, and not liable to any objection of Importance, except that of new-naming the (old) Alcalies as Salts, and the reduced Metals as Alcalies.—I should, however, prefer the division of Carbonazotes (i.e. Metals) Acids, Alcalies, and Salts. with the four symbolic Elements prefixed, Carbon, Azote, Oxygen, and Hydrogen/as there does not seem in the present state of our knowlege any advantage to be attained by a conjectural nomenclature grounded on conjectures respecting the constituents of these four substances as ponderable Bodies. Thus I should say: there are two not only imponderable but immaterial Powers, Gravitation and Light. There is one imponderable yet material Power, with two opposite forces = Electricity + and — . And lastly, there is one imponderable Power, phenomenic by motion but not visible as a matter per se = Magnetism + and minus. And lastly there is one synthetic Power, containing the two former as another and greater than either, namely, Galvanism.——Thus, there are five distinct Powers, Gravitation, Light, Magnetism, Electricity and Galvanism: the 3rd and 5th of which are ‘involved in the first, and the 4th in the second, without being identical with it-—. Each of the 5 have two Poles, or antithetic forces, + and
    — , or posi- and nega-tive.

Grav. = centrifugal and centripetal = — and +
    Light, colorific and calorific = — and +
    Magnetism, attractive and repulsive = — and +
    Electr.—contractive and dilative = — and +
    Galvanism, separative and constructive = — and +
    These are the cosmical Decad of the Pythagoreans.

There are four ideal Elements: pure Carbon, pure Azote, pure Oxygen, and pure Hydrogen, ideally indecomponible, and corresponding to these four elementary Bodies, indecomponible (into bodies,) each supposing (all) the 4 ideal Elements, but as under the predominance of some one of them. Thus Carbon would (be) C.H.A.O. under the predominance of C. Azote = A.C.H.O. under the pr. of A. Oxygen = OCHA, under the pr. ofO. Hydrogen, H.C.A.O. under the pred. of H.—I.E. they are practically indecomponible, because eae every one of the 4. Components in each is necessary to its being a body at all. To these may be added the Metals, as hitherto not decompounded and probably all humanly indecomponible, in the present epoch of Nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Florius Frammel View Post

Georg Von Welling in Opus Mago-Cabbalisticum et Theosophicum (page 81 of the English transl.) has this to say of the difference in the symbols, the "Alkali" symbol being salt regular and the "Niter" symbol being special:

Now we come to the composite salts, of which we will discuss nitre first (see figure 46 [which is your "Niter" symbol]). Its spherical symbol represents the entire world and is composed of the ray of the upper light and the lower fire. Therefore, it consists of volatile and solid alkaline particles; it is a wonder-salt of nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Coleridgean View Post
    Now we come to the composite salts,
    Does Von Welling mean both salts first have to be made out of other initial substances (composite salts)then put together to form the cross?
    of which we will discuss nitre first (see figure 46 [which is your "Niter" symbol]).
    The Golden Chain says the word "our" is not necessarily special. I know you meant it in another way, but there it is written that when "common/vulgar" nitre (some kind of nitrate, most likely KNO3 or CaNO3 in modern terminology) is used, it can be called "our nitre" too. So maybe that's another practical starting point.

Its spherical symbol represents the entire world and is composed of the ray of the upper light and the lower fire.
    Maybe the salt (common nitre?) has to be "composed" or further treated in the same way. Instead of "lower fire" the word "central fire" is sometimes used. Maybe they are interchangeable. Interesting, that the two opposites (upper light, lower fire) are obviously represented (or connected) as a line. Reminds me on the sentence "make the fix volatile, the volatile fix". Maybe this thread can help in trying to accomplish this:

http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showt...5811-Halchymia

BTW. The act of putting the index finger on the open mouth (like when you in addition say "shhhh" to make someone silent) was a recognition sign/symbol for some members of former alchemy related secret societies. I had the idea making a T-Shirt with a more modern version of this symbol

Therefore, it consists of volatile and solid alkaline particles; it is a wonder-salt of nature.
    That's a more tough quality I guess. So the niter has to be composed of different substances. One part being volatile and evaporating or sublimating very easy, whereas the other part remains behind.

Then one of course doesn't have to forget to mix it with ordinary table salt (if that is what is meant with salt regular) to make the cross/crucible. This would be an addition to the fixed part of the niter composite. Or maybe this already is the fixed part.

Or Welling meant something entirely different. Unfortunately this is also possible.

There are other symbols quite similar to the

for example this (often connected with antimony or earth):

copper (Venus, Virgin Mary,..)

Vitriolcross (some books for example "Das Geheimnis von dem Salz - secret of the salt" say this is a symbol for the prima materia). It looks a bit like a sword put into that circle (the salt). See the discussions about the "Typus Mundi" throughout the forum, for example here:

http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showt...7164#post27164

This reminds of the dragon slayer symbology (St. Marcellus, St. Georg and others). The salt is therefore the dragon (has inner fire too!). Any idea about the sword? Fulanelli as a parisien prefered St. Marcellus, who used a wooden stick instead of an iron lance. And he only touched the mouth of the dragon, instead of cutting into it. He pointed to this as if it was important.

The dragon is often interchangeable with the snake. And here we have a very obvious connection to the crucible and Jesus(from the old testament and the Donum Dei). So here we have the same carrier symbol.

The cross looks like the sword. So maybe it just means that the salt has to be put in the crucible. The pic says "zerteile sie", which means "cut it/her(the snake) in parts" or "tear it apart" (with the sword/cross/heated crucible?)

And especially the mercury, that according to Fulcanelli must be collected in it's proper matrix (symbol of venus, mary, womb?) without contact to sunlight (therefore the moon symbol?)

Last edited by Florius Frammel; 10-29-2018 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Florius Frammel View Post
    Reminds me on the sentence "make the fix volatile, the volatile fix".
    This from Philalethes, Ripley Reviv'd:

;then begins the dissolved Body to work after its kind, and then the Spirit is passive, and the Body active; thus passive Natures are made active, and active passive, which is the Key of our Mastery (Philalethes, Ripley Reviv'd, p170)

or consider Coleridge:

a Being in whom the Potential was subordinated to the Actual, in order that the P[otential] should ultimately be swallowed up in the Actual - as the Luciferi became evil spirits, the Actual lost in (or transformed into) the Potential (CN IV 4456, 4907)

passive or potential means fixed, whereas active or actual means volatile - in motion. "In his fixedness he yearneth toward the journeying moon..."

Now, the Deluge wiped out the Nephilim, or Luciferi, and made way for a new people of Noah's line. That is, the seed of our gold was spared the mercurial overflowing of water until the flood was quelled, and the new people multiplied upon the Earth when the waters receded - those active waters became passive, and those living beings kept in the seed who were passive became active as the exited the Ark.

Hey Florius Frammel thanks for posting. I was studying the Golden Chain of Homer and trying to match with photos/processes I found online. I came across the Hyssop Plant Stone by John Reid. What do you think about this photo? Where do you think it fits in the Golden Chain of Homer?

Full Link: https://www.spagyria.com/plant_hyssop_stone.php

The first two parts of the Golden Chain are imo rather a demonstration of fundamental principles of nature from an alchemical viewpoint. Some of those seem to had been applied when Reed did this plantstone. But as he himself says he was mostly following the recipie in Manfred Junius' book "Plant Alchemy".

Of course one gets some kind of solid matter when imbibing calcinated plant ash with ethanol and volatile oils. I personally don't see anything special or alchemical in these kind of stones (besides some of the processes), but others may think differently.

@Coleridgean

Interesting! Thank you!

And I wanted to add that the classical interpretation of the deckname "snake/serpent" is niter (KNO3 or CaNO3 - both were called "cold dragon" because of their qualities).

Another interpretation of the snake/serpent, especially it's tail was mercury (the principle and the metal).

The "chymist" Kunckel made fun of these interpretations as it obviously did not seem to help him in his alchemical quest.

+ Reply to Thread