Patrons of the Sacred Art

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question on Solo Practice

Question on Solo Practice

I am a Westerner long resident in China. In other words, I am a bit isolated so far practicing as the Hermetic tradition goes. I have Bardon's book as well as the UR group's essays. My question is 1) is it possible to make progress without one-to-one guidance? 2) is attempting what the UR group called "separation" using light reflected in a mirror advisable as a DIY exercise?

I know "safety" here depends a great deal on preparation, especially as regards one's character and psyche. I am simply asking whether the path is doable or whether one is nucking futz even to try.

Blog Entries
    In my opinion, there can be no progress without some sort of one-on-one instruction. How else is knowledge transferred?

But, I mean that quite generally. Meditating on nature is a one-on-one, so is reading a book, or working with a specific plant. Object plus subject—if you don’t have both then there is no interaction

Are you currently living in China? Perhaps you could check out our Map project and see if there’s anything in your area worth looking into?

Edit: also, I’m unfamiliar with the UR group. Do you perhaps have a link to what you mentioned?
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

Practice fixating your attention. It is easy. An when developed will allow you to see farther into things. Pick a subject. Put your attention on it. Anytime your attention wonders upon absolutely anything else, just bring it back to the object of attention. Boom. Do that over and over again. Your mind will settle. The fluctuations will become more subtle. Just bring attention back. Rinse and repeat. Thus is the method of mastery of mind. Its that simple.
    Formerly known as Avaar186.

Quote Originally Posted by Martius View Post
    I am a Westerner long resident in China. In other words, I am a bit isolated so far practicing as the Hermetic tradition goes. I have Bardon's book as well as the UR group's essays. My question is 1) is it possible to make progress without one-to-one guidance? 2) is attempting what the UR group called "separation" using light reflected in a mirror advisable as a DIY exercise?

I know "safety" here depends a great deal on preparation, especially as regards one's character and psyche. I am simply asking whether the path is doable or whether one is nucking futz even to try.
    Of course it's possible to make progress on your own. Why should it not be?

I, for one, have been studying a variety of things (from spiritual practices to the English language) without personal instruction - mostly just reading books and "learning by doing".

I know that my attitude regarding this topic is unorthodox and may provoke the outcry (or at least an upheld index finger) from those who firmly believe in the necessity of a personal teacher/student relationship for most things. And no doubt, for them it will be true, because to a large degree, one's beliefs determine one's experience.

However, I believe this to be an individual thing - having immediate feedback provided by an instructor may be crucial for some. Whereas others will do well learning things in their own way and at their own pace in the solitude of their chamber.

That said, I did receive live instruction in certain fields and surely found it beneficial. I also enjoy exchanging experiences with fellow seekers such as can be met on this and other forums. At least the latter will be available to you as well!

+ Reply to Thread