Patrons of the Sacred Art

Can't log in? Contact Us

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Alchemist’s Dream Glassware

Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    How do their prices compare to those of these "AlchemistsDream.com" guys?
    I just checked and it's $148 w/free shipping for the 2 neck 2L reactor flask with a center neck of 24/40. The center neck for alchemistdream measures at 45/50 for $225.

Quote Originally Posted by Aham View Post
    I just checked and it's $148 w/free shipping for the 2 neck 2L reactor flask with a center neck of 24/40. The center neck for alchemistdream measures at 45/50 for $225.
    The wider centre neck would be preferable as it would make cleaning the flask so much easier, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Sternbach View Post
    That distillation helmet does not have any drip rail. Though it may be useful for distilling certain viscous substances (in the way of a retort), it does not have the same kind of applicability that an authentic alembic has.
    Yes, indeed. Whenever performing distillations that give products that are viscous or even solidify when they cool, that cheaper alembic head is more convenient. When the operation is over, you can recover them simply by turning the alembic around (which basically turns it into a flask) and either scrape or dissolve the viscous or solid products attached to the alembic head's walls. The one with the drip rail is better for operations that only give off products that remain liquid through the whole operation. All you have to do to recover the parts that remain in the rail is tilt the alembic head and they pour into to the condenser tube, and from there into the receiving flask.

Quote Originally Posted by Aham View Post
    How about the "Retort Reaction Vessel"?

Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Some of their stuff looks very good (though I would still change a couple of things in their designs), but the problem are the prices. Their glassware is just too expensive. Knowing first hand how easily you can break or crack glassware during the course of experiments, your pocket will quickly start "feeling it" whenever you need to replace such expensive pieces. So this equipment is for seekers who were "born with silver spoons in their mouths", not for the average ones who (still) have to work for a living.
    The prices are crazy.
    My advice to anyone would be to visit the normal lab glassware shops and ask there if they have a glass blower. At least in my city several of them have one... And you can ask the blower to create WHATEVER you want, exactly with the size you want, with the joints that you want, with the details that you want... And the cost is (at least here) 1/3 or 1/2 of what I see there.

And I never had a situation in which a blower told me that he won't do something because it's "too weird" (it's their job... So they can do anything).

Most shops that sell "unusual" glassware online are very expensive, but a "normal" glass blower can do exactly the same things and it's by far cheaper (so I don't see the point of buying online, unless you find an online shop with marvelous prices, but I never saw one -when it comes to "unusual equipments")

I believe on Amazon this are more affordable. Actually, i am thinking about ordering from there. What do you think, guys?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiberius View Post
    I believe on Amazon this are more affordable. Actually, i am thinking about ordering from there. What do you think, guys?
    Have you found a good alembic on Amazon? All the ones I have seen are cheap, although poorly designed and inadequate for my uses.

+ Reply to Thread