Patrons of the Sacred Art

Can't log in? Contact Us

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Star Regulus of Antimony - My First Mineral Project

Blog Entries
    Ah you are just using tribute, sorry I misread.
    Good bye most of humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by KnowledgeSeeker View Post
    Wouldn't I need to melt the iron though? I heard iron is going to be twice the amount of heat needed to melt if that's true or is this different and uses a certain temperature?

Are there other alternatives to muffle furnace and bunsen burner or would a hotplate be the best bet for this operation?
    Knowledge Seeker,

What/whose process are you trying to replicate exactly?

I don't think you can get around using a bunsen burner, anyhow.

BTW, if you do this experiment outdoors, you should be fine. Avoid inhaling the smoke, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Sternbach View Post
    Knowledge Seeker,

What/whose process are you trying to replicate exactly?

I don't think you can get around using a bunsen burner, anyhow.

BTW, if you do this experiment outdoors, you should be fine. Avoid inhaling the smoke, though.
    To achieve what is historically known as the regulus of iron and stibnite, already said. Hence this thread.

What heating apparatus would be needed though and I think with bunsen burners it depends on the gas type used?

Also should I wear a gas respirator you think? Like maybe Aviva-40 with the Scott Safety Pro2000 GF 32 A2B2E2K2 filter to protect from any smoke/gas?

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Scrooge View Post
    I'll just add this here because it's important.

Whenever you work with very toxic and deadly fumes like from antimony, arsenic, mercury, lead, etc YOU MUST use a gas mask with the proper filters if outdoors. None of the vapors should get on your skin as well, some of these poisons can go straight from your skin into your blood so wear a hazmat suit preferably that you can wash off after you are done. If you are indoors and working with high temperatures you need to use a fume extractor that vents outdoors, I'd use a 10" extractor and put it right over the furnace. For chemical reactions with toxic vapors, you must use a chemical fume hood that vents outdoors.

If you don't do this, you will die.
    This isn't going to be literal antimony though, we are using stibnite and iron. They're meant to be fused together by heating somehow.
    Last edited by KnowledgeSeeker; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KnowledgeSeeker View Post
    To achieve what is historically known as the regulus of iron and stibnite, already said. Hence this thread.
    Sure, but there were historically known a couple of different ways of achieving that. What are your sources? Or are you just trying to go by the information presented in this thread?

What heating apparatus would be needed though and I think with bunsen burners it depends on the gas type used?
    Try the set-up suggested by Florius Frommel. Earlier in this thread, already said.

Any Bunsen burner (or Teclu burner) should do, but again, your exact requirements depend on how you are intending to proceed.

Also should I wear a gas respirator you think? Like maybe Aviva-40 with the Scott Safety Pro2000 GF 32 A2B2E2K2 filter to protect from any smoke/gas?
    I don't see this as an absolute requirement as long as you are careful with your experiment. But if you have easy access to a gas respirator, sure, it can't hurt to wear it.

This isn't going to be literal antimony though, we are using stibnite and iron. They're meant to be fused together by heating somehow.
    Umm, but you are aspiring to produce pretty much pure metallic antimony in its star form, aren't you?

+ Reply to Thread