Patrons of the Sacred Art

Can't log in? Contact Us

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Star Regulus of Antimony - My First Mineral Project

JPD,

I was looking at the ceramic blankets and they seem like a good idea but I wasn't sure of the advantages/disadvantages so thank you for the information, it is exactly what I was looking for.

Andro,

May I ask why you state in your quote that the Martial Regulus of Antimony a 'delusion'? I am hardly blinded by the star, its simply a sign of success in the refining of Antimony.

Catmandu,

Excellent suggestion for the mini muffin cast iron tin/ladle. I guess I have some more ordering to do before I begin!

~Auroboros

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Auroboros View Post
    Andro,

May I ask why you state in your quote that the Martial Regulus of Antimony a 'delusion'? I am hardly blinded by the star, its simply a sign of success in the refining of Antimony.
    That quote is not mine. I simply re-posted it.

Andro,

I am aware it's not yours, I am asking you to explain the meaning behind why you posted it, that's all. I also wanted to ask if you performed this Operation before? I would like to hear your insights into your experience.
    Last edited by Auroboros; 11-11-2018 at 08:09 PM.

Blog Entries
    Andro, I also wanted to ask if you performed this Operation before?
    Yes.

I would like to hear your insights into your experience.
    Quite mind-boggling. But only useful (to me, at the time) as an extremely valuable "proof of concept", not much more.

It was maybe 7-8 and years ago and not something I continued pursuing.

How hot does the heat need to be to produce the regulus? Are the two other apparatuses (alcohol lamps/hot plates) sufficient for this to get that minimum needed heat or should you really get a bunsen burner instead? I will be using borosilicate flasks for this.

Quote Originally Posted by KnowledgeSeeker View Post
    How hot does the heat need to be to produce the regulus? Are the two other apparatuses (alcohol lamps/hot plates) sufficient for this to get that minimum needed heat or should you really get a bunsen burner instead? I will be using borosilicate flasks for this.
    Hi Knowledge Seeker

Stibnite melts at a temperature of 550 C, so using an alcohol lamp is out of question. I do have a hot plate that reaches just about that temperature, however, I would much prefer my muffle furnace for that kind of operation.

A bunsen burner should be a viable alternative, as per Florius's set-up above. Remember that you want your batch glowing hot.

Borosilicate glass flasks should not be heated above 500 C. Use a suitable ceramic crucible instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Sternbach View Post
    Hi Knowledge Seeker

Stibnite melts at a temperature of 550 C, so using an alcohol lamp is out of question. I do have a hot plate that reaches just about that temperature, however, I would much prefer my muffle furnace for that kind of operation.

A bunsen burner should be a viable alternative, as per Florius's set-up above. Remember that you want your batch glowing hot.

Borosilicate glass flasks should not be heated above 500 C. Use a suitable ceramic crucible instead.
    Wouldn't I need to melt the iron though? I heard iron is going to be twice the amount of heat needed to melt if that's true or is this different and uses a certain temperature?

Are there other alternatives to muffle furnace and bunsen burner or would a hotplate be the best bet for this operation?

KnowledgeSeeker, what are you trying to accomplish? What are you going to do with the end product of your experiment?

I'll just add this here because it's important.

Whenever you work with very toxic and deadly fumes like from antimony, arsenic, mercury, lead, etc YOU MUST use a gas mask with the proper filters if outdoors. None of the vapors should get on your skin as well, some of these poisons can go straight from your skin into your blood so wear a hazmat suit preferably that you can wash off after you are done. If you are indoors and working with high temperatures you need to use a fume extractor that vents outdoors, I'd use a 10" extractor and put it right over the furnace. For chemical reactions with toxic vapors, you must use a chemical fume hood that vents outdoors.

If you don't do this, you will die.
    "Heaven is the first element.
    ― Hermes Trismegistus, Corpus Hermeticum: The Divine Pymander
    unclescrooge@secmail.pro
    PGP Key: https://pastebin.com/AEfuk8KJ

Blog Entries
    It's worth remembering that many mercuric salts.are highly water soluble and can easily penetrate the skin and enter the blood. After many years of laboratory work, let me tell you, that unexpected things can and will happen, and if you are unprepared or poorly organized it could absolutely cost you more than you can afford. Lucky for me I work in the herbal realm and so my accidents were not as severe, however had I had similar accidents working with the minerals I would for sure be dead. Could have easily killed myself a few times now just working with plants. I have had more acid burns then I care to remember including inhalation burns mercury and arsenic is an absolutely deadly combination. Every wiff of fees is destroying your brain and cerebral system like cutting butter with a hot knife.

I know uncle scrounge has just gone through this, but it's always good to really let this sink in if you have intentions of doing this. $1500 for a fine good is a small price to pay to not be a munted brain dead fuck for the rest of your life.
    Good bye most of humanity.

+ Reply to Thread