Patrons of the Sacred Art

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Routine Potassium Check-up

Thanks for your very interesting input, z0 k!

Do you provide a special artificial environment of dry atmosphere to make the salt evaporate or deliquesce? I can't remember reading about this in your book.

Quote Originally Posted by Florius Frammel View Post
    Thanks for your very interesting input, z0 k!

Do you provide a special artificial environment of dry atmosphere to make the salt evaporate or deliquesce? I can't remember reading about this in your book.
    I live in a very dry atmosphere in the Southwest US and Sal Armoniac will liquefy and evaporate when it is not fixed. I keep it sealed in a jar in the fridge for storage until the final sublimation. After the final sublimation It will still eventually evaporate in the dry open air so I keep it in the fridge until needed. Over time in the fridge the fixed Sal Armoniac will turn a little yellow and get a little watery but you can use it like that for plant Quintessences. The stuff is very precious so you don't want to sublime it too many times as it will lose volume. You need quite a bit of it for mineral work on metals. Ripley says that you will need to put another Chaos into the oven as soon as you take one out in order to get enough of the Elements to proceed to the White and the Red.

Interesting!
    Do you know how it behaves if you put it in a "well luted" pelican? I bet it's quite a pleasure to view that, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Florius Frammel View Post
    Interesting!
    Do you know how it behaves if you put it in a "well luted" pelican? I bet it's quite a pleasure to view that, isn't it?
    Yes it is a pleasure to view when sublimed into a helmet. Though for ease of collection I prefer to sublime it into the mouth of an ice water cooled condenser.

Sorry for another newbie question, what is the meaning of Sublimation?
    Last edited by Seraphim; 7 Hours Ago at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
    Sorry for another newbie question, what is the meaning of Sublimation?
    The usual meaning is volatilizing a substance (usually a solid), and then condensing it back to a solid substance. Example: making cinnabar by mixing sulfur and mercury (which forms a black powder), heating this mixture, and obtaining a red volatile solid substance (mercuric sulfide, or cinnabar)

+ Reply to Thread