Patrons of the Sacred Art

Can't log in? Contact Us

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Commando Equipment Thread

Commando Equipment Thread

I am making this thread so we can share self made equipment, hacks ideas, etc. No lab glass allowed!

1st entry

Boiling water using nothing more than cheap jar glass and a upturned skillet.
    http://i.imgur.com/3JFAR4o.jpg

This keeps your glassware from cracking in a fire.

dew collecting device

you pump cold water through the glass pane and squeegee off into a basin.

Thanks for your interesting input!

Jam jars heated on hot plates (or upturned skillets) tend to break anyway. I've seen them breaking in a fine line at the bottom when heated like that. I got two pieces, the cylinder and the bottom which look almost professionally cut.

Imo the only method to heat jam jars relatively safe from breaking is in the oven. Because here all the glass gets equally hot at the same time. I successfully did this with a glassbottle of beer, instead of a can (in the oven -not a grill):

It is very important to put the glass into the cold oven and then heat it!

There are easier methods to collect more dew. For example you could use some plastic bottles with frozen water inside.
    Last edited by Florius Frammel; 11-26-2018 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Florius Frammel View Post
    Thanks for your interesting input!

Jam jars heated on hot plates (or upturned skillets) tend to break anyway. I've seen them breaking in a fine line at the bottom when heated like that. I got two pieces, the cylinder and the bottom which look almost professionally cut.

Imo the only method to heat jam jars relatively safe from breaking is in the oven. Because here all the glass gets equally hot at the same time. I successfully did this with a glassbottle of beer, instead of a can (in the oven -not a grill):

It is very important to put the glass into the cold oven and then heat it!

There are easier methods to collect more dew. For example you could use some plastic bottles with frozen water inside.
    Soda–lime glasses can be heated in sand-baths without breaking. Just gradually increase the temperature and the sand will distribute it evenly on the part of the glass that is in contact with the sand.

doing circulations inside a glass seltzer bottle.

and yes heated on a the underside of a skillet at low temperatures.

I fused the opening for a true hermetic seal. Youhave to keep it hot for a while after fusing it or else the glass will crack

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by microwatt View Post
    1st entry

Boiling water using nothing more than cheap jar glass and a upturned skillet.
    http://i.imgur.com/3JFAR4o.jpg

This keeps your glassware from cracking in a fire.
    Impressive. Never thought of that.
    Weeks of coding can save hours of planning.

Quote Originally Posted by elixirmixer View Post
    Impressive. Never thought of that.
    It's easier and more convenient to just put a thick layer of sand in an old cooking pot and partly "bury" the regular glass containers in the sand, and then apply heat under the pot. It's in fact how the alchemists and chymists did it back in the day. They did not have borosilicate glassware, which can withstand thermal shocks much better than regular glass. They had to gradually and indirectly heat their glassware or otherwise it would likely crack. That's why they invented such "baths" in the first place.

And for submitting regular glass to stronger temperatures than in a sand-bath, the best is to coat with a refractory "lute" (usually mixtures of sand and clay moistened with enough water to make a sticky "dough" were employed for the purpose) the parts of the glass vessels that are going to be exposed to direct heat. The refractory layer will prevent the glass from coming in direct contact with the increasing temperature, thus lowering the thermal shock, and, once the glass is red-hot, it will prevent it from deforming too much since it will be retained by the refractory "shell". This is what the alchemists and chymists used when they did not have suitable clay/ceramic vessels around and wanted to distill or sublime something at stronger temperatures than sand-baths.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by microwatt View Post
    I fused the opening for a true hermetic seal. You have to keep it hot for a while after fusing it or else the glass will crack
    Nice idea. And your matter turned black...

Maybe somekind of alembic could be made out of the glass bottle too? It would be a cool art project.

Not a true black. But the spirit escaped after two days of circulations. at first it was circulating for about a day then it gained volatility and escaped through a cement luted crack at the top. like there was no water in there at all.

+ Reply to Thread