Patrons of the Sacred Art

Can't log in? Contact Us

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: William James

Blog Entries

William James

Discovered a new mind that I really enjoy: William James

He was to go to guy before Freud came along and in a sense pushed William James into obscurity. A shame, considering - in my opinion - he is way more interesting than Freud will ever be.

If you are not familiar with this guys work, please read a few of his quotes... even when picked randomly there are gems...

en.wikiquote.org/wiki/William_James

Freedom is only necessity understood.
    Creatures extremely low in the intellectual scale may have conception. All that is required is that they should recognize the same experience again...
    ...our normal consciousness... is but one special type of consciousness, whilst all about it, parted from it by the filmiest of screens, there lie potential forms of consciousness entirely different.
    Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

The Varieties of Religious Experience is my favorite book by William James.

There was a very interesting relationship between William James and Henri Bergson, even if their ideas were radically different (Bergson... The most alchemical of the non-alchemical philosophers!).

Other than that... Freud was amazing because of a very specific thing: the notion of the unconscious mind... A concept that previous thinkers seemed to have in the tip of the tongue, until he expressed it in a clear way.

Anyway, the relationship between Bergson and James is fascinating, almost like a mutual "you are absolutely wrong and I admire you"... Which is something that doesn't happen quite often.

+ Reply to Thread