Patrons of the Sacred Art

Can't log in? Contact Us

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: YouTube Strategies

Quote Originally Posted by Kibric View Post
    FF it's bread and circuses mostly.... mostly. There is great content but it's beneath piles of garbage. Awani's post is technical but there is a philosophical side here.
    Populist or substance ?, which works best
    I like your extensional depression, gives me hope.
    Which works best depends upon what you want.
    If it's fame, money, sex, then substance can actually be a hindrance. It's a thin line very few are able to balance on. Jimi Hendrix, Beatles, Depeche Mode and The Who are/were all actually good examples. At least before some of them became sell-outs.

Maybe there is a reason that the time for such big music groups is over? Or do you know any group/artists of these days that can really match up with those in terms of creativity and popularity?

Interesting that you call my critic about recent pop culture "extensional depression". I thought it's just me becoming an old fart more and more.

Blog Entries
    Populist or substance?
    I think it's possible to have both. Perhaps not easy, but possible. Pink Floyd's "The Wall" comes to mind...

Others have substance while alive but only become popular/famous post-mortem.

Also, what does it mean to be a "sell-out"?

The life of an Artist/Innovator/Entrepreneur or even Free Professional/Self-Employed is VERY different from the life of a corporate employee.

Or let me simplify:

Does a person have a relatively secure, steady paycheck job? Boom. This person IS a sell-out. AND a corporate whore. It's easy to do armchair judgements.

Is there anyone here who doesn't have bills to pay? (assuming you are not a rich heir or a kept man/woman).

Life is NOT fair and we have to do what we have to do to care for ourselves and our loved ones.

Prostitution is not the oldest profession in the world. It's the ONLY profession in the world

We can debate possible ethical issues elsewhere, but if we manage to support ourselves AND remain reasonably ethical, we should be OK. And if we're already whores, at least let's have class

Blog Entries
    For me selling out is when you try to please someone else by being someone you know you really are not... or to be a sort of Yes-man. Only the individual truly knows if s/he sold out.

Inception. The Matrix. Two films that both have depth and populism... even if you dislike them no one can claim they are not ”deeper” than the average blockbuster. Transformers for example, the most shallow crap there is. Michael Bay is not a sell out, because he only ”sells stuff”. He never really was a non-sell out. LOL.

Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Blog Entries
    Goes both ways. There was this guy (so I heard) who was an actor on a famous Soap Opera. A shallow and bland TV series. Famous too in that market. Then he went to the Amazon, drank ayahuasca and quit his job. He understood that was not ”him”. He ”unsold” himself.

Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

1. Youtube does not really pay much money.

2. Following the hype is not really the BEST way to make a video popular... but picking a somehow underground subject (not so underground that the only ones who are interested into it are you and a guy in Bangladesh)... Awani somehow does it in his NBA podcasts. I have reached a bit more than 3 million views with a video about a VERY underground painter (absolutely accidental, I never expected more than 500 views).

3. Very few people are skilled at the art of being the face of a talking head video... So filming interesting images is a good idea (as opposed to a person talking and talking).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zoas23 View Post
    1. Youtube does not really pay much money.
    YouTube doesnt pay anything anymore for views. Your income is soley based on whether people click on your ads or not.

AS Andro said, its really in the best interest to use your channel to promote products. For instance, im doing a show about bad chemicals in baby shampoo, so im making and selling a home-brand shampoo thats cheap with no additives, as an example.
    Join me; on a voyage of stupidity, and self discovery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=vccZSHroTG4

Blog Entries
    If only 2-3 % buy the product you sell (I would not estimate any more), then you need lots of views/subscribers... YouTube is a good platform if used correctly.

Again this thread was about strategies, not so much about the content... that is a whole different topic in my opinion.

1. Good or shitty content, 2 minutes + bad thumbnail + posted once every month
    2. Good or shitty content, 10 minutes + good thumbnail + posted once a week or more

Who will be able to have a good income in the end regardless if content good or bad? It's "2" of course, no doubt.

Exception to the rule is a viral video... but those cannot be "created" for the most part... they "just" happen...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Awani View Post
    Transformers for example, the most shallow crap there is.
    Yeah but how good is it
    Join me; on a voyage of stupidity, and self discovery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=vccZSHroTG4

Quote Originally Posted by Andro View Post

Also, what does it mean to be a "sell-out"?

And if we're already whores, at least let's have class
    In the end it lies in the eye of the beholder. A sell-out imo is someone who gained fame because of his undisputed creativity. Then an interesting mechanism takes place in a lot of people: The creative force, which was the motor for their acting in the first place steps behind, because it's very pleasant and seductive to the ego to be admired. That shouldn't sound unfamiliar to some (unless you really managed to have convinced yourself that you have no more ego at all).

In the next step, the next "product" by the artist is nothing that originates mostly out of his creativity, but out of the necessity to please the ego and therefore the fans. That's when it begins that the frame is more important than the picture/painting. It can be very hard to most of us if loved (by many or few) and then suddenly the love is taken away for whatever reason.

This can also work in waves (ups and downs) and for example even happened to David Bowie. His record "Let's Dance" was a huge success. The following album "Tonight" was written and produced in the same way like "Let's Dance" and was financial and creative desaster. Bowie even confessed that he purposely did it to keep up to the success of "Let's Dance" and subsequently fell into a kind of depression.

All that's not a judgement. You all can sell all your body parts or souls for whatever reason or purpose you want. But not everything must be my cup of tea. Especially if the purpose is a creative/entertainment one and the main goal is only to serve the ego/your wallet. Others might like that anyway, I don't. Maybe an everyday nine to five job is more "honest" than that.

I don't say that I think that what I said counts for you guys who seem to be very involved into this kind of "merchandising of yourselves". Maybe you manage to not become sell-outs. I honestly wish it to you!
    Last edited by Florius Frammel; 01-21-2019 at 09:42 PM.

Blog Entries
    Not when "starving artist" is the alternative. A healthy mix has to be found. We live in a world where commerce/exchange of value is part of survival. But value has no value if it is not valued

We ALL sell something, like it or not. But it doesn't have to be our souls. And you know the saying... "publish or perish"... And if you publish, you better do it smart. Bowie and the Beatles and so many others wouldn't have gotten there without well executed marketing strategies... Can't really separate PR from HQ

So, when making a YouTube channel, IF you want it to be successful, there are certain "tricks of the trade". Just like in EVERY other area of life, like for example being in a relationship. Leaning the "secrets of the trade" is a sort of an initiatory process. No unlike alchemy... And one would be naive to think otherwise IMO. Bedtime for me now, I'll go into the more macro-cosmic implications another time.

+ Reply to Thread