Patrons of the Sacred Art

Can't log in? Contact Us

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: YouTube Strategies

Blog Entries

YouTube Strategies

There is a lot of pressure on YouTube to update their silly algorithms, so this post is subject to change depending on what they do in the future. However whatever YouTube does, it is worth to check out what the current algorithm is regarding below points, and adapt based on what is discovered.

So you want to be a Star? Well... I can make you a Star... all you got to do is unzip my... sorry wrong meeting... ok so you want to get a lot of traction on You Tube.

First of all I have been studying and following YouTube closely for a few years now, and I do not have a successful YouTube channel myself (yet), because I have not actually physically done what I am about to say, because I currently don't have time to make a weekly video. Feel free to add to this thread if you have additional suggestions.

However when I get my YouTube channel going (which is a matter of time) I will follow the suggestions I now provide, since they are based on studies of the YouTube algorithm and from spending time in the YouTube creator community.

Length
    When you make your videos you have to make sure that they are at least 10:01 minutes long (no less), because the YouTube algorithm tends to favor those videos more than other videos when people search.

Links
    Try and link to a related video (your own or another) in the description, again YouTube favors videos that keeps the user on the site rather than videos that link outside YouTube.

Keep it clean
    If you are going to monetize make sure you do not swear, and keep it family friendly. Old people swearing is ok like "What the Frick" instead of "What the Fuck", and do not use copyrighted music. You can use "clips" from copyrighted material, but it has to be used in a transformative way. If you do not do these things your video will be demonetized.

Reply-videos
    A very good thing to get traction is to create "reply" videos that answer or expand on a popular video. Don't forget to post your video in that other videos comment section.

Title and thumbnail
    The titel and thumbnail of the video is as important as the video itself. Do not use a suggested thumbnail image that YouTube provides from the actual video, rather create your own. Do not create a "clickbaite" title/thumbnail, although it will be successfull in the short term it won't be in the long term. Try and find a middle ground.

For example:

This video features comments by h3h3Productions on another YouTuber that promoted gambling to kids, and how his (name is Ricegum) apology is so bad. The thumnail shows Ricegum looking confused, with the name "worst apology" as well as an image of "mystery box", which is the name of the "gambling site".

Basically the thumnail explains the video. Finally the title of the video is "RiceGum is caught snitching", which is what he does in his apology (snitching on other YouTubers that did what he did). Now if you know who RiceGum is, or you know about this incident then you are BOUND to click on this. It is not clickbaite because everything in the thumbnail and title will feature heavily in the video. You will be satisfied when you have watched this video, because you were:

1. intriqued by topic and image
    2. you got what you was looking for
    3. chance you watch other videos by that creator, or maybe even subscribe to the channel
    4. if thumbnail and title was misleading = you become annoyed

Consistent and core message
    You have to upload on a regular basis. Every day, or every week... either of those are the best... if that is not possible at least twice a month. If a channel does not have a lot of content to "binge" the channel becomes less and less interesting.

Also it has to be clear what the channel is. If one video is a cooking show, the next is a prank video and the third is a video about aliens then people are going to be confused.

It is totally fine to change the "topic" of the channel, but that has to happen slowly over time... and it still has to have some sort of "theme"... the danger here is that you can box yourself in and be forced to create videos on a certain topic, get a million views and then be bored with that topic. To avoid this it is very important to make the "soul" of the channel be the core message more than the topic of the videos.

For example PewDiePie (currently still the biggest YouTube channel in the world) does not have a special "topic" for his channel, instead the core message or the soul of the channel is PewDiePie himself. It doesn't matter what video he does, people want to watch "him"... not the "topic".

Tags
    Don't forget to tag the video with all the tags you can think of that is related.

Playlists
    Always make playlists of your videos, for example:
    • All videos in chronological order
    • All videos that deal with X
    • All videos that deal with Y

Cross-over
    YouTube is a community and one way to grow a channel is to find another channel that seems to be a soul mate... and then collaborate and appear on each others episodes i.e. cross pollinate.

Transparent
    It is way more attractive if the channel feels real and transparent and honest... there are exceptions, but in general the channels that feature a "creator" that is "down to earth" and "doing what s/he loves is way more interesting to watch than some soulless person that is "faking it".

Conclusion
    Keywords to success on YouTube (and in life):
    • Authenticity
    • Consistency

Finally do not forget to SUBSCRIBE TO PEWDIEPIE!!!
    We cannot let a soulless corporate entity take the number one spot.

Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

So who had the illusion that it's all about quality content?

Nowadays the frame seems to be much more important than the picture. Or is actually everything. At least for the masses. Which you need to get $.

Exceptions are possible, but rare. Or harder to find.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Florius Frammel View Post
    So who had the illusion that it's all about quality content?.
    If you have quality content you are going to go far... however if you apply above suggestions to that... be ready to blow up.

Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Maybe.
    But this is just not my cup of tea. If I accidently land at some "influencer's" video, that's polished like this, I immediately turn it off in most cases.

But I do think your suggestions are worthwhile, if you try to have "success" (whatever that means in that context) at such kind of platform.

Blog Entries
    Some extras:

If you are good looking AND have great content, you increase the chances of your channel's success. People are superficial that way

I remember one singer who was posting videos some years ago, and the video where he got "discovered" was his first shirtless video... So there you go... Life's a bitch

If you're not that good looking, have extraordinary content! Or just don't show your face in the videos if you are really repulsive Good looking doesn't mean being a supermodel, it just means photogenic (and well built if you want to go shirtless...)

Some "lifestyle" channels (How To Cure" / "How To Trick" / "Top 10" or "Top Whatever" or "10 Things You Didn't Know..." type of channels), often with nothing more than changing images and automatic & annoying robot voices, have millions of subscribers!

Have good production values. Most people understandably can't/won't invest right away in top-notch video cameras and lighting, BUT - the SOUND must be impeccable. Psychologically, people are more likely to accept less than optimal video quality, but will walk away if the sound is shitty. Invest in a good microphone and recording device/sound-card. Get a cheap but good studio mic if you plan to film mainly indoors (can be a table-top or a boom) OR a lapel/lavaliere mic with a windshield for outdoors.

Learn the basics of audio and video editing. The editing/post production is what makes an actual video out of the raw footage. It gives it rhythm, color, you can enrich it with inserts and special effects, etc...

This being said, you can have great success by just posting videos made with your phone... There's no certain recipe for what will actually work.

Also, it's OK to copy stuff/ideas from other content creators, but don't be an imitator! Originality is a precious and rare commodity!

Being authentic can be challenging for many, so you will have learn to fake it VERY well! (Just half joking about that last part...)

Additionally, there is more than one way to monetize a channel. The views themselves and the clicked adds are only a small part of the revenue, and many people (myself included) use ad-blockers. So you'll have to get creative. If you have a business outside of YouTube, remind people of it (but don't be to obvious about it). Affiliate links and merchandise are other sources of income. And always remind your viewers to like and subscribe, if they want to get more of your pure awesomeness

Another thing I noticed is that many YouTubers are opening Patreon accounts nowadays. Apparently, YouTube is making it increasingly difficult to monetize profitably.

Use multiple social media platforms for cross-promoting your stuff! Instagram, FB and whatever is most likely to be trending with your target audience.

Disclaimer: This is also not from direct experience, just stuff I learned from here and there... I do have a YouTube channel but I don't really use it, except for special announcements. My work is not YouTube based, but the channel is there is case I need to make a video for a specific announcement to my fans

Good Luck!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Florius Frammel View Post
    But this is just not my cup of tea. If I accidently land at some "influencer's" video, that's polished like this, I immediately turn it off in most cases.
    You wouldn't know. And if you do know they are "fake", and as I wrote above, that is not "long-term". There is nothing wrong with having a plan, any artist with a brain has a plan... and if they don't you'll never hear from them...

Also the YouTube algorithm DOES NOT favour spur of the moment videos... if you do not "know" and "use" the YouTube algorithm properly your videos are going to be left in a hole... YouTube is not going to allow it to pop up as a suggestion EVER... unless you already know of the video or happen to be lucky in your search. The YouTube community is mad about this, that is why above strategies have become a reality.

If you make an alchemy video and call it "my secret lab" no one is going to watch it, because they will search "alchemy video". Why do you think this forum is called Alchemy Forums and not The Secret Brotherhood of the Work?

@Andro: also good additional suggestions I would say... too slick can be a turn off too, as you say recording with phone is fine if the content is good... content is always king, anything else is complimentary (yet equally important)... now next time do a video shirtless with some Depeche Mode styled mascara...

Quote Originally Posted by Andro View Post
    BUT - the SOUND must be impeccable.
    Yes, sound more imporant than a good image.

Blog Entries
    I've worked many years in music/sound production (both studio and live) and I also worked with video teams. I learned a lot about this in those days... One of the things I learned is that it can work amazingly well if it's a little rough on the edges and not perfectly "slick" - however, it costs a lot more to achieve the "produced cheap".

Quote Originally Posted by Awani View Post
    next time do a video shirtless with some Depeche Mode styled mascara...
    Would have worked well 20 years ago... You think I didn't walk like that on the street before YouTube was even invented? LOL... In my 20s I was too good looking for my own good... What a mess...

Blog Entries
    FF it's bread and circuses mostly.... mostly. There is great content but it's beneath piles of garbage. Awani's post is technical but there is a philosophical side here.
    Populist or substance ?, which works best
    I like your extensional depression, gives me hope.

Blog Entries
    Yes, my aim was technical strategy... I would suggest substance always... I never implied to be a populist... however if you have good content and substance... and you piss that away by ignoring the technicalities you are wasting time.

For instance when Jimi Hendrix burned his guitar and The Who smashed their instruments, all that was planned... they even tossed a coin who was doing it first I think... The Who won and smashed their guitars first. Planned, yet Rock 'n Roll history.

There are thousands examples like that. For example concerning The Beatles:

Epstein, in an effort to maximise the Beatles' commercial potential, encouraged them to adopt a professional approach to performing. Lennon recalled him saying, "Look, if you really want to get in these bigger places, you're going to have to change – stop eating on stage, stop swearing, stop smoking ..." Lennon said: "We used to dress how we liked, on and off stage. He'd tell us that jeans were not particularly smart and could we possibly manage to wear proper trousers, but he didn't want us suddenly looking square. He'd let us have our own sense of individuality." - source
    They did take his advice... rest is history... Etc etc.

Be authentic. Be real. But be smart.

Blog Entries
    Do not forget to SUBSCRIBE TO PEWDIEPIE!!!

+ Reply to Thread