Patrons of the Sacred Art

Can't log in? Contact Us

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Alchemy & Food

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Florius Frammel View Post
    Unfortunately many doctors seem they don't know about the importance of nutrition/diet when sick (and healthy).
    What I am personally understanding and applying is that food is secondary to light and it's less about what we eat than it is about when we eat. I do my best not to eat anything after 4pm, regardless of season. When I have nice "generous" breakfast, relatively early in the morning, and a small-to-medium portioned lunch in the early afternoon (no snacks in between) I almost never feel hungry. Sometimes I also skip lunch, because I just don't feel the need. But it works best in a good UV light environment. Reducing food intake (no matter what one eats) also seems to be a determining factor, as it is to eat stuff that's local/in season - to the best of our ability. As I mentioned before, wines and fermented food-stuffs are the exception here. After (or during) fixing the WHEN, we can proceed to the WHAT. But focusing on the WHAT while entirely ignoring the WHEN is basically what's slowly killing us, IMO.

But shouldn't that circadian habits be adjusted on the duration of day and nighttime that is depending on the seasons and latitude? On the other hand this would become more and more difficult, the nearer one lives to the poles.
    Yes, it appears to be more difficult to eat according to the circadian rhythms when at higher latitudes. Did I mention that I plan to relocate to a lower latitude? (at least below 30 degrees)

This being said, at higher latitudes we have the advantage (in summer) that we can "get away" with eating at later hours because we would still be eating during daylight hours.

For the more "polar" latitudes, we can look at the habits of the Inuit population before they were "westernized".
    Last edited by Andro; 02-01-2019 at 06:01 PM.

But shouldn't that circadian habits be adjusted on the duration of day and nighttime that is depending on the seasons and latitude? On the other hand this would become more and more difficult, the nearer one lives to the poles.
    You can also manipulate the circadian rhythm with different frequencies of artificial light. Higher frequency light (white/blue) will tell your body that it is mid day. Lower frequency light (yellow/red) will tell your body that it is closer to dusk/dawn. High frequency optical light is also much harder on the eyes. So I run yellowish color lights in my house and have the "dark night mode" app installed on firefox. I'm an insomniac so circadian schedule is a big problem for me. Sometimes I go to sleep when the sun is coming up, then wake up late afternoon.

I'm getting off topic...but thought this was worth adding.

Blog Entries
    Not off topic AT ALL, mon cher

This stuff IS food!

Totally on spot with the comment of managing artificial indoor lights. Ideally we shoould use only candles after sunset

I bought myself a few pairs of Blue-Blocking glasses that I wear indoors (one pair for the computer, another for after sunset, etc).

About apps... I have used both f.lux and iristech for my computer screen, but they are not changing the fact the LEDs are peaking in the blue area and are missing all the longer wavelength reds, which are subtracted to "save energy" (same goes for indoor lighting LED lights, fluorescent, etc...)... and obviously there is no UV indoors, especially as UV doesn't penetrate through glass windows (unless they are either open or made of quartz).

There are ways to overcome insomnia. I may elaborate in further posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dendritic Xylem View Post
    You can also manipulate the circadian rhythm with different frequencies of artificial light. Higher frequency light (white/blue) will tell your body that it is mid day. Lower frequency light (yellow/red) will tell your body that it is closer to dusk/dawn. High frequency optical light is also much harder on the eyes. So I run yellowish color lights in my house and have the "dark night mode" app installed on firefox. I'm an insomniac so circadian schedule is a big problem for me. Sometimes I go to sleep when the sun is coming up, then wake up late afternoon.

I'm getting off topic...but thought this was worth adding.

Quote Originally Posted by Andro View Post
    I have used both f.lux and iristech for my computer screen, but they are not changing the fact the LEDs are peaking in the blue area and are missing all the longer wavelength reds, which are subtracted to "save energy" (same goes for indoor lighting LED lights, fluorescent, etc...)
    Yeah, the closer you get to infrared the more electricity you're using to produce heat instead of visual light. I have an interest in artificial lighting for growing indoor plants. I've tested metal halide, ceramic metal halide, high pressure sodium, fluorescent(standard, compact, and PL-L), single spectrum leds, and for the last couple of years have been playing with white COB leds (CXB3590 and Vero). The industry is getting better at adding red to get a more natural light. Still way less red/IR than an HPS or the Sun...but my plants have done better under 2700k cob leds than any other indoor lighting system. Check out the spectral difference between the different color temps of the same diode model, it doesn't include the 2700k I use (they are even better)...

I really want to try a huge indoor grow with a homemade xenon arc lamp. It's used for projectors in IMAX theaters. They apparently have the closest spectral output to the sun out of any artificial light source. But you have to run a huge light, like maybe 20kw, to get acceptable efficiency. This would be awesome as long as you have the ceiling height to create a large coverage area. Need to build that hydro-electric plant first.

Quote Originally Posted by Andro View Post
    There are ways to overcome insomnia. I may elaborate in further posts.
    Sounds good

+ Reply to Thread