Patrons of the Sacred Art

Can't log in? Contact Us

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Adam Michael Birkholz

Blog Entries
    I read recently BV was a publisher called jennis ? or lennis, something
    anyone heard this before ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kibric View Post
    I read recently BV was a publisher called jennis ? or lennis, something
    anyone heard this before ?
    No. Lucas Jennis was merely (but very influential) a publisher and editor.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucas_Jennis

I have seen it quite often that the Verleger (publisher) was confused with the author.

The Verleger of B.V. was Johann Thölde, who some see as the true author of his work.

https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johann_Thölde

The publisher/author problem occurs quite often in alchemical treatises. It is discussed for example when dealing with the Golden Chain of Homer, Compass of the Wise, I.C.H. treatises and many more.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Florius.
    Who do you think BV is ?, i don't believe its Johann Tholde,
    the engraver matthaeus merian ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kibric View Post
    Thanks Florius.
    Who do you think BV is ?, i don't believe its Johann Tholde,
    the engraver matthaeus merian ?
    It's impossible that Matthaeus Merian was BV. Unless he started writing his first book right after his birth. He was born 1593 in Switzerland. The printed(!) version of "Vom großen Stein der Uralten" was published 1599 by Thölde in Eisleben, Germany.

All the people and historians up until the 19th century believed BV was a Benedictine monk of the 15th century who lived before Paracelsus in the monastery of the Peterskirche in Erfurt.

The problem is that no monk with this name can be found in the list of monks of that time. And no MS can be found that predates the first printed book of 1599.

Another problem is, that though his writings are in some cases quite similar to those of Paracelsus, the two men never quote each other. I even read one opinion that BV might have been Paracelsus.

Others tend to believe that his works were a compilation by Thölde and written by him (and/or others).

You asked me what I think who he was. I think it is common practice of Alchemists to not openly tell their name and part of the game. Some have written as anonymouses, others used famous names to cover (and sell). It was on purpose and planned to not find out his real name.

Fulcanelli knew that as well for example and did the same thing even in the 20th century. Or others did it for him. According to one foreword by Canseliet, Fulcanelli saw BV as his master. No wonder he was so fond of the veiling tactics like his big idol.

But I like legends too. Maybe he really was a monk of the 15th century.

+ Reply to Thread