Patrons of the Sacred Art

Can't log in? Contact Us

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Adam Michael Birkholz

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Florius Frammel View Post
    Thanks Greg, I did not know this one before. Those GuR were a bunch of copycats. But quite amusing somehow:

I've seen the most recent reply, I just wanted to get your opinion on this first before moving on..

I feel kind of silly asking you about the source when I had just referred to different images from Atalanta...

So this brings up a question.. I wonder if this is a callback to Khunrath's owl?? It would depend on how good the translation I have for it is, I'm guessing:

"What good are torches, light or glasses, if people do not want to see."

Blog Entries
    Talking about copying, the Rosarium is quite old, though the printed version is younger. One of the original sources of alchemical pictures are the MS of the "Buch der heiligen Dreifaltigkeit".

A specialty here is, that it shows two hermaphrodites. A good and a bad one. That's quite unique, because one hermaphrodite alone would already allow such a symbolic interpretation. There are more very beautiful pictures, just try to google search.
    Well, you've really opened PANDORA's box with this one. I've been all over the imagery of Buch der heiligen Dreifaltigkeit, from the earliest manuscripts I could find (a few hand written pages) to Reusner's Pandora (and John Micheal Faust's reprint)

I had been collecting information off and on for years, but (based on file dates, I often don't remember when I've worked on what) it seems I got serious about tracking the changes in the imagery around the end of 2017. I mainly work in a vacuum, as an "island unto myself", and have never had any one/reason to share this. I screenshot this "layer" specifically for the hermaphrodite:

Comparing how some of the images aren't carried over to later versions:

and how some of the images in that section of Pandora are products of only the later versions:

I was also curious about the first half of Pandora, the sequence of flask images. (I seem to have started a comparison on those, too). In the publications of Pandora, there's a foreword by Reusner, and then the title Pandora, and between that when the images start appearing, there seems to be no other titles. (remembering I don't read German)

I found it again when I was (randomly) extracting images from Cod. Guelf. 23.19 Aug:

So referring back to the title page I got my answer:

And armed with this new information, of course I found all kinds of material on Pretiosissimum Donum Dei. I had information (and an english translation) saved from the old Levity site (now seems to be dead?). They attribute it to George Aurach. That name rings a bell as the presumed author of a collection of texts, De alchimia opuscula complura veterum philosophorum (the title page of which, bringing this back to the beginning, features the hermaphrodite from Dreifaltigkeit.

However, this manuscript (dated vaguely as 14th or 15th century) clearly attributes it to Raymond Lully. And curiously, the text AFTER is attributed to George Aurach:

f. 130–138'. Raymundi Lulli liber intitulatus Pretiosissimum donum Dei, premissa epistola autoris, magistri Raymundi de insula Maioricarum, accurtationis lapidis benedicti. Schlussschrift: Explicit liber qui intitulatur preciosissimum donum Dei sub anno Domini 1500 in octava apostolorum Petri et Pauli.

f. 139–142'. Liber intitulatus (H)ortus divitiarum de secretissima et occulta scientia et arte sacre Chemiae, auctore Georgio Aurach Argentinensi. Schlussschrift: Explicit liber ortus divitiarum intitulatus compositus per Georgium Aurach de Argentina. Scriptus anno Domini 1500 alia die divisionis apostolorum.
    Badly translated:

f. 130 - 138 '. Raymund Lull book entitled God's most precious gift , the letter author, teacher Raymond of the island Maioricarum, accurtationis of a john. Schlussschrift, ends the book entitled God's most precious gift in the year of 1500 to the eighth day of St. Peter and Paul.

f. 139 - 142. A book entitled (ii) of riches rise from the most secret and hidden from science and art chemistry, George Aurach Strasbourg. Schlussschrift, ends the match by George Aurach entitled riches rise from Argentina. Written one day in the year of 1500 the division above.
    I don't know if this constitutes "original" research on my behalf or not.

It's a pre-lutherian work, maybe that's the reason, why it was forgotten/neglected by the protestant surrounding of the GuR. One MS belonged to the chymist Johann Conrad Creiling (an "official" and respected chemist of the 17th/18th century), who was also publishing books on alchemy under a pseudonym.

The Maier pics of Valentine's keys follow a certain interpretation. Even the original B.V. ones were included later and were not presented in the first version. Maier for example later placed the woman more towards saturn, to show it can be cleansed with antimony (the grey wolf) (or was it lead? JDP would know that for sure) as well. At least that's the interpretation of Lawrence Principe. Others disagree, especially the author of "Le clef des douze clefs de B.V.", who definately was an 18/19th century author of the french Cyliani, Fulcanelli lineage.
    There's another name I haven't heard before (Creiling). I have books on Maier I've never read, so I'm being lazy just asking.. Is there any evidence that Maier was ever a "practicing" alchemist?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Marcus View Post

So this brings up a question.. I wonder if this is a callback to Khunrath's owl?? It would depend on how good the translation I have for it is, I'm guessing:

"What good are torches, light or glasses, if people do not want to see."
    I have nothing to improve on your translation.

Imo it is quite impossible to tell who was first, or who copied from who. Especially if you compare Kunrath and Maier, who lived during almost the same period of time. If you have eyes to see, there are connections and similarities everywhere. Some belive for example that Jacob Böhme possessed a volume of the "Buch der hl. Dreifaltigkeit" as well, as there are many similarities. On the other hand there are similarities between quietism and Zen-Buddism. With some the connections are more or less obvious, with others you may think it's almost impossible that there exists a connection at all. But the similarities are there. It's a rabbit-hole in itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Marcus
    There's another name I haven't heard before (Creiling).
    He was a chemistry professor at the university of Tübingen (the "birthplace" of the first(?) R+C (16th/17th century)). As an anonymus he wrote the book "Ehrenrettung der Alchemie" ("Defending the Honor of Alchemy"). Somehow I get more and more the impression that those "chymists" knew more than they revealed openly/officially. The reasons for them doing so would be very intersting imo.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johann_Conrad_Creiling

I have books on Maier I've never read, so I'm being lazy just asking.. Is there any evidence that Maier was ever a "practicing" alchemist?
    I guess some would say yes, when they read his texts and look at his images.

To come back to the topic, the Kunrath owl is included in the book "Die 7 heiligen Grundsäulen..", published by Birkholz and from which I published some translation work here recently, as well:

https://books.google.de/books?id=X-u...ackeln&f=false

It's at the introduction of the part called: "Brunnen der Weisheit und Erkenntnis der Natur" by Anonymum von Schwarfuss

"Fountain of Wisdom and Knowledge of Nature" by Anonymous of Blackfoot (must be a native american indian )

Blog Entries
    Others disagree, especially the author of "Le clef des douze clefs de B.V.", who definately was an 18/19th century author of the french Cyliani, Fulcanelli lineage.
    Sorry, are you referring to a specific version of 12 keys? My earliest french versions date to 1624? In general I was under the impression that the french translations of Valentine were pretty legitimate.

We spoke of languages.. French is actually something I can handle pretty well. I have a bilingual francophone wife. I have quite a few texts in french that I want to translate eventually.

Blog Entries
    To come back to the topic, the Kunrath owl is included in the book "Die 7 heiligen Grundsäulen..", published by Birkholz and from which I published some translation work here recently, as well:

It's at the introduction of the part called: "Brunnen der Weisheit und Erkenntnis der Natur" by Anonymum von Schwarfuss

"Fountain of Wisdom and Knowledge of Nature" by Anonymous of Blackfoot (must be a native american indian )
    There's the AdaMah Booz name again. Have you translated the passage under the owl?

Could I bother you for your opinion of this translation? I used the image in another thread, with just my translation and not the original text. I know that particularly the ending is not very good.

'This is to observe that everything that Master/Magician [Artifex] learns or wants to start in this high art. Let the Balance, the right-hand line [right angle, the square in his left hand], and the circle [compass in his right hand] be well observed; so there is nothing unequal, nothing crooked, nothing except the cube, that is, everything is to be brought into one, from one.'

There's the AdaMah Booz name again. Have you translated the passage under the owl?
    AdaMah Booz = Adam Michael Birkholz

No, I translated this:

http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showt...-Grunds%E4ulen..

Could I bother you for
    Sure. My version:

This is especially to observe, that in everything that the Artifex wants to learn, or begin in this high art, he has to well observe the balance, the proper line and the circle/dividers. That means that there is nothing unequal, nothing crooked, nothing out of the circle. That means that everything out of one thing should be put into one thing, like it is sufficiently shown in this cabalistic figure. And that the highest must simply be put into the meanest and the meanest put into the lowest and therefore linked and connected to each other & e contrà.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Marcus View Post
    Sorry, are you referring to a specific version of 12 keys? My earliest french versions date to 1624? In general I was under the impression that the french translations of Valentine were pretty legitimate.

We spoke of languages.. French is actually something I can handle pretty well. I have a bilingual francophone wife. I have quite a few texts in french that I want to translate eventually.
    I mean this comment on the 12 keys by a french anonymous:

http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showt...ht=Douze+clefs

Blog Entries
    I had checked out the link and understood what part you had posted. I was just hoping.

This is especially to observe, that in everything that the Artifex wants to learn, or begin in this high art, he has to well observe the balance, the proper line and the circle/dividers. That means that there is nothing unequal, nothing crooked, nothing out of the circle. That means that everything out of one thing should be put into one thing, like it is sufficiently shown in this cabalistic figure. And that the highest must simply be put into the meanest and the meanest put into the lowest and therefore linked and connected to each other & e contrà.
    Thanks for this (and for clarifying the 12 Keys reference), I only have one small follow up question.. Where did the "cube" go in your translation? Or perhaps more appropriately, where did I ever get "cube" from? It's pretty significant in terms of the geometry, but I don't what to be guilty of inserting it where it didn't exist. In terms of twisting it to what I want it to be.

I ask because the image is obviously related to these (specifically the left, but the two are related) (the cube in the second picture has the perfect points of the geometric construction):

The image i had posted with german text this time is from 'Cabalae Verior Descriptio', attributed to Johann Grasshoff but published in 1761, well after his death. Google Books shows an unviewable entry dated 1680, but according to WorldCat, 1761 is the date. I've seen the image before (without the german text) in Cabala chymica (1606). (some of the information I have saved on Grasshoff attributes Cabala Chymica to him and not Franz Kieser for some reason). Otherwise I have very little information about Cabalae Verior Descriptio. all my searches end up back at the same few sources.

The earlier date pushes it (the picture) back to basically being contemporary with the earliest publications of Valentine's image sequences, so I'd hestitate to say for sure the cabalistic figure is based on the images from Valentine (although I think it is), but they are definitely related. (I also realize publishers often reused existing images in other texts)

(in relation to Materia Prima, I just came across this again today, from the introduction to Michelspacher's Cabala: 'Spiegel Der Kunst und Natur'

To the reader of this Art

He who reads without understanding
    Is like a shadow on the wall.
    He who sees a l o t with his eyes,
    Yet understands none of it,
    Is poorer than the blind man
    Who does not see yet understands.
    Thus: turn round the mirror,
    And you see the whole
    Of what there is to be seen in it.
    This path will not lead you astray,
    For it is as straight as a ruler
    And runs through the whole circle.
    So you will find the Three standing in the Four
    And through the One going into the centre.
    And out of the centre will emerge the Three
    By virtue of the Four in the circle.
    Now you have got a complete mirror,

I don't know where you got the cube from. It's certainly not in the text.

The VITRIOL picture was imo first included in a book by Basil Valentine, yes. It was reused quite often. For example in "Hermes Trismegists true and natural path". A link to a free english version of this quite interesting book can be found somewhere in the forum I think.

I found this pic, where the connection of Kaiser and Grasshof is explained. It's spanish, but if you read a little bit french, it should be no problem to understand.

Some say Johann Grasshof was some kind of free-rider of B.V. but is best known (and quite famous) for his two very influential treatises "Der kleine Bauer" (1618) and "Der große Bauer" (later).
    At least the kleine Bauer was translated into French as "le petit paysan". An english version can be found here:

https://www.alchemywebsite.com/Text_..._Grasshof.html

I don't know anything about images attributed to him. If you like especially the images in the alchemy books, I can recommend you this book that contains a lot of high quality pictures (but it is in german):

https://www.amazon.de/Alchemie-König...6FL&ref=plSrch

Blog Entries
    I don't know where you got the cube from. It's certainly not in the text.
    Ug. that's not good. If you are at all interested in Cabalae Verior Descriptio, one of the few sources I found on it is a transcription of the german.. Its up on alchemysite too. (pops on with the first results when googling verior descriptio).

I found this pic, where the connection of Kaiser and Grasshof is explained. It's spanish, but if you read a little bit french, it should be no problem to understand.
    That definitely answered my question. I wonder if that means its based on a previous diagram, or Grasshoff's writings were the inspiration.

Some say Johann Grasshof was some kind of free-rider of B.V. but is best known (and quite famous) for his two very influential treatises "Der kleine Bauer" (1618) and "Der große Bauer" (later).
    At least the kleine Bauer was translated into French as "le petit paysan". An english version can be found here:

https://www.alchemywebsite.com/Text_..._Grasshof.html
    I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've seen anything by Grasshoff translated to english.

I don't know anything about images attributed to him. If you like especially the images in the alchemy books, I can recommend you this book that contains a lot of high quality pictures (but it is in german):
    Thats my whole thing though.. When I find something that looks interesting, my next step is to scour the internet finding the best quality digitization I can find, and then I extract the images. If it's really interesting, then I'll try to find a translation, and start googling information about the author and text, and possible other works by the same. It started when I found Manly P Hall's library online, and then I found Jung's, and by now I've developed quite a collection of digitalization project resources..which I have often pillaged by "category" and sorted through later.

If you're interested in Grasshoff, during one of these pillagings I found a manuscript that has Grasshoff listed as the creator. A series of flasks and other images, I've noticed references to Pandora in the text, and theres references to other manuscripts at the end.

It's Mellon Ms. 50 at the Beinecke Rare Book & Manuscript Library

+ Reply to Thread