Patrons of the Sacred Art

Can't log in? Contact Us

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Waterbombing Tincture of Rosemary

Blog Entries

Waterbombing Tincture of Rosemary

Hi there!

So, little side project I've been tinkering with. I made a tincture of rosemary herb a while back (delicious, btw, and seems to increase my daily happiness, excellent as an addition to beer), and I water bombed the tincture that was left over after bottling.

More rightly, I made one 2-oz dropper bottle and water bombed the rest.

Definitions - "water bombing" is a chemical technique of adding water to an alcohol solution to precipitate hydrophobic components for separation.

The stuff takes forever to filter. I think it had to sit for a day, and then I scraped the goo off the filter paper and let it dry out in open air. This was after weeks of letting it settle in solution to ensure the largest possible particle size. No crystals were formed on this one.

Anyway, the stuff that came out HATES water. So much that it can't be wetted at all. To remove impurities, it's been sitting in a mason jar with water and being shaken often to get as much water soluble out as possible. The water is still pretty clear. I'm about to skim the solids and let them dry again. My plan is to recover the rest of the alcohol portion by distilling it away from the water and then reunite this curious "salt" with it's alcohol (which should contain some of the essences and such as well).

I don't know when the distillation will take place. Still acclimating to my new environment, but I'll keep you posted. I just thought it was fascinating that this green-tinted powdery residue is totally hydrophobic, like that magic sand that keeps you hands dry when passed through it on the surface of a fish tank, very similar to gypsum in that respect. It also has with it the smell of the herb.

This is just a sort of experiment report. No questions really (unless you can identify the chemical makeup of the powder partially or fully), just thought it might be of interest to those practicing spagyrics.

For the step by step version:
    Steep 4 oz rosemary in enough pure ethanol to cover it, shaking daily, for about a month, maybe two, the longer the better.
    Decant the tincture and filter.
    Add 2 parts water to one part tincture, and let the solution rest for 3 weeks or longer.
    Filter through coffee filter. This could take hours or days, just let it run it's course.
    Dry recovered solids and powder in a mortar and pestle.
    Add powder to clear distilled water and shake daily for a month.
    Skim solids, dry and powder again.
    Distill alcohol from the water/tincture solution (which is a golden color), and add powder to the distillate.

Hopefully, this will produce a very pleasant 2nd order tincture of rosemary.

---

the obvious variant to this procedure is to also include calcined salts of the herb at some step or another. I think it would be best to combine them when reuniting the powder with the alcohol, but I currently don't have the herb body and less time to calcine and recrystallize ashes properly at the moment. This can be carried out later though.

Have fun, enjoy, never stop exploring the world around you.

This is just a sort of experiment report. No questions really (unless you can identify the chemical makeup of the powder partially or fully)
    Terpenes are insoluble in water yet soluble in alcohol so the powder is likely composed mainly of rosemary terpenes (α-Pinene, Camphene, β-Pinene, Limonene, p-Cymene, Eucalyptol, etc..)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhazes View Post
    Terpenes are insoluble in water yet soluble in alcohol so the powder is likely composed mainly of rosemary terpenes (α-Pinene, Camphene, β-Pinene, Limonene, p-Cymene, Eucalyptol, etc..)
    You are my new favorite person

Blog Entries
    A very gentile distillation later, and I have the Mercury of my rosemary tincture procured. Didn't even use a water cooling system. Just a drip. The house smells wonderful for one. I'll sleep well tonight. The watery portion is incredibly potent. I believe it still has some use, maybe better than my little magestry on its own. I popped it in a mason jar while hot and sealed it. Looks like orange juice.

My purified powder was placed on a wood stove brick to dry, then funneled into a clean flask, and the alcohol (still carrying the scent of rosemary as well) was added. I was expecting everything to be highly soluble in alcohol, but there were dregs. Lots of them. So filtering is in order. Think I'll let it sit for a while first while I contemplate this. A change has occurred in the recovered powder, and it won't solve back like the original tincture. A curious anomaly, but not one that I'm completely unfamiliar with.

Blog Entries
    Very curious.

I’ve made it as far as the first “water-bombing” when it comes to tinctures, but that was more to play with the ouza effect. Never thought to try and separate the precipitate.

So to understand this more accurately, the precipitate formed from the “water-bombing” is a solid and green in color when dried?
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiorionis View Post
    So to understand this more accurately, the precipitate formed from the “water-bombing” is a solid and green in color when dried?
    In this case, yes. After drying completely, it was a light, almost lime green mass. I separated it from the paper before it lightened and dried completely, and it resembles mud in texture. After curing in a little watch glass for a few days, it became a hard solid mass, almost like a chunk of chalk rock, with the lighter cool green color.

This was from a tincture of rosemary. Doing the same with black pepper yields a high percentage of piperine. Tumeric will give you curcumin, which is quite red once fully separated. Each plant has a certain nature that seems to be captured in these precipitates, though I have experimented with a few tinctures that dropped almost no precipitates, so different starting materials will definitely give different results.

___

Little update. After sitting in the alcohol flask all night, the color of the fluid came out darker than I liked, but the powder portion in the bottom had turned to a brighter yellow color. I've now double filtered the steeped alcohol, and away from the precipitate it's a very golden color. Not bright yellow, but that deep, rich, almost rose-gold color. I'm drying the leftover powder, and there was a lot, meaning that the original alcohol from the tincture suddenly refuses to dissolve the material it once held in its belly.

Haven't tried it yet, but it smells heavenly. I thought about distilling this 2nd tier tincture to see if color evolves, but I'm sure I have less than 50mL of it. Probably not enough for a good experiment on that front. I'm waiting to see how the new yellow precipitate looks after drying.

Blog Entries
    It might have been a good idea to take the powder from your waterbombing step and see what portions would dissolve in oil. That would more likely provide a good bio-availablitity than alcohol.
    Join me; on a voyage of stupidity, and self discovery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=vccZSHroTG4

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by elixirmixer View Post
    It might have been a good idea to take the powder from your waterbombing step and see what portions would dissolve in oil. That would more likely provide a good bio-availablitity than alcohol.
    Likely true, but then what kind of oil to use. I see this as a sort of "elevated" tincture, so discarding things would necessarily be part of the process.

I think a better question is whether the more potent medicine lies in the insoluble powder or in the watery phlem left behind. Will be experimenting with both a little here soon. If the water fraction has "the good stuff" then there's no need to distill of the liquor, but I doubt that is the case. Might grab some coffee straws from work to use as little pipettes and try the new tincture soon. There's still a tiny amount of dusty sediment in there, but I don't think I'm getting rid of that without some heavy duty filter paper and an expensive funnel. Expense isn't something I can afford at the moment. I've gone for broke getting this house built, quite literally. Now I need to start being thrifty and saving money before something breaks on the truck that ends up killing me financially.

Thanks for sharing your experiments. What do you think are the qualities of a potent medicine?
    Last edited by Seraphim; 03-16-2019 at 05:02 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
    Thanks for sharing your experiments. What do you think are the qualities of a potent medicine?
    I guess that would depend on a lot. Increasing the potency of a tincture would simply mean less drops for the same result. I imagine that a truly potent medicine would give immediate energizing effects, life how some speak of ORMUS. More potent still would be the ability to transmute, either base metals to gold, or anti-aging effects in the body, or transcendental effects in the mind. If I could make an OBE "pill" or potion, that would be awesome. Not some fancy hallucination, but testable out of body states where information retrieval was possible. I've only experienced that heightened state once, and having a tooth pulled without anesthetic isn't my idea of a meditation I would want to do daily, haha.

+ Reply to Thread