Patrons of the Sacred Art

Can't log in? Contact Us

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Novilunium

Blog Entries

Novilunium

The new moon plays a major role in alchemy. I'd like to find a comprehensive list of mentions in alchemical texts of changes said to occur at the time of the new moon. Unfortunately, current alchemical text databases do not seem to have a satisfactory search function. Any ideas?
    The student should not begin the preparation of this great and inscrutable arcanum before he knows well the spirit that lurks in it according to its essential qualities and properties. "With this spirit," says a certain philosopher, "you should not meddle until you first have a full and exact knowledge of it."

Perhaps it plays a role in the Macrocosm, but I don't see how it would effect the Microcosm directly like in the way you were suggesting.

In Practical Lab Alchemy, we tend to imitate the Macrocosm. Outside the Earth is the Sun and the Moon, and other planets. Our Earth has an atmosphere, clouds, rain, ocean, dry land, etc. We cannot directly work with the Macrocosm the way we do with the Microcosm and the reason for this is because with the Microcosm, we can create our own ''Globe'' the glass flask being the atmosphere, and so forth, so forth... The Macrocosm is already a working Ouroborus but the Microcosm is a ''World'' we make so that we can see the effects of the Macrocosm take place in our own living room, happen in our own ''Globe'' . As Above, So Below. We cannot work with the Macrocosm like we can the Microcosm, because we aren't giants, with exceptionally petite hands

The moon won't get you anywhere. Yin & Yang, Passive + Active / Male + Female / Negative + Positive / Attract + Repulsion /

The Moon is just a characteristic that plays out in these alchemical books. Just like how many other stories have different ways of talking about the Yin & Yang or Male and Female aspects of nature.

EX: Adam and Eve / Fuxi and Nuwa / Yin & Yang / ??? / ???

Mythology
    Raijin was born from the divine pair Izanagi and Izanami after Japan was first created. Raijin came from Izanami's corpse when she was in Yomi, the land of darkness

Does the story of Raiden remind you of something? Because it does to me! Hello.

I can bring you a bible verse, alchemical texts, and other mythologies that would all mirror each other but I'm not going to because then I'd have to google them back up again.

Good luck
    Last edited by tAlchemist; 5 Days Ago at 08:15 PM.

Blog Entries
    Does the story of Raiden remind you of something? Because it does to me! Hello.
    Some oil from decomposition of poor Izanami's corpse ?.

The moon as one of the seven classic planets represents the metal silver whereas the sun is gold, Venus is copper, etc. The moon as one of the trinity of alchemy represents philosophical mercury (whereas the sun philosophical sulfur). The new moon in Hebrew tradition is associated with Lilith, Adam's supposed first wife who was not 'obedient'. This is the Horned moon, or cornucopia, which John Dee in his Monas gives as desiring so much to be impregnated by the sun's direct light that she disappears entirely (Something around Theorem IV - I cant remember). Pernety in his mytho-Hermetic dictionary gives "La Lune Cornue" or "Diane Cornue" in the following context:

Lorsqu'on a trouvé le moyen d'ouvrir la porte du Jardin des Philo¬sophes, on trouve dès l'entrée une fontaine d'eau très limpide qui sort de sept sources, et qui l'arrose tout en¬tier. Il faut, y faire boire le Dragon par le nombre magique de trois fois sept, jusqu'à ce qu'il en soit telle¬ment enivré, qu'il dépouille ses vêtements. Mais on n'en viendra jamais à bout si Vénus porte lumière, et Diane cornue ne nous sont propices et favo¬rables. On doit chercher dans ce Jardin trois sortes de fleurs, qu'il faut nécessairement y trouver pour réussir.

Which translated says : Once we've found the means of opening the door to the garden of the philosophers, we find an enfeebled water fountain coming from seven sources, which waters everything all around. We must here drink the Dragon by the magic number 3 times 7, until he himself is so intoxicated he takes off his clothes. But we dont dare come here if Venus brings the light, and the horned moon Diana is not propitious and favorable. We must find in this garden three kinds of flowers in order to succeed.

This is very Philalethes - Ripley Reviv'd stuff, from which Pernety probably sourced the definition.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibric View Post
    Some oil from decomposition of poor Izanami's corpse ?.
    I was insinuating that it had something to do with the latter of the other Creation stories I listed and its connection with the Alchemical texts but glad you saw a connection.

EX: Adam and Eve / Fuxi and Nuwa / Yin & Yang / Izanagi & Izanami / ???

Joachim and Anne
    Isis and Osiris
    Mary and Jesus

+ Reply to Thread