Patrons of the Sacred Art

Can't log in? Contact Us

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pyrolysis

Pyrolysis

Hi All

I'm about to begin some practical Pyrolysis.

I've not done this before, although I have some theory under the belt, and would appreciate any 'heads-up' info, cautions or warnings regarding safety protocol from anyone who has skill in this area.

Thanks in advance.
    Ami

Blog Entries
    The fumes are terrible
    Art is Nature in the flask; Nature is a vial thing.

LOL

What equipment are you planning to use for the pyro-distillation? You will need to achieve at least 1000F for a period of time. What protocols are you planning to follow for the purification of the elements received from the pyrolysis?

Hi z0 K

Sorry for the delay in replying. I'm not receiving email notifications and didn't realise there was a reply waiting

I'm using a standard distillation setup with a heating mantle and chain of 3 receivers.

I'm actually in the process of the pyro distil right now, 3 hours in

Ami

OK, bumping this thread in case anyone is interested...

I've now completed 3 DD's of lead acetate (I'm interested in the acetate path) using a couple of heat sources and different speeds of raising the heat. I've not seen any red fume, only the white (well actually, I don't see any 'smoke', just faint ionized particles when I shine a light on the still head). I've collected a 'golden water' each time, that smells sweet (no stinking menstruum!) which I'm assuming is mostly acetone with a little oil.

Because of the lack of red fume, I wondered if it might be my equipment not getting hot enough, although on my first run I managed to 'melt' a borosilicate flask... so I decided today to try pyrolysis of cayenne to see if I can get a similar result to this:

https://www.transcendenceworks.com/p...-distillation/

Sure enough, I'm about 8 hours in and have copious amounts of white smoke, just like in the video, with my mantle on setting 4.5/10, and yes, it really STINKS!

So, my question out there to alchemy forums is: has anyone DD'd lead acetate, or any other acetate, and managed to get fumes in any way similar to the above video?

Thanks for any helpful comments.

Ami

Quote Originally Posted by Amicus Nachash View Post

I've now completed 3 DD's of lead acetate (I'm interested in the acetate path) using a couple of heat sources and different speeds of raising the heat. I've not seen any red fume, only the white (well actually, I don't see any 'smoke', just faint ionized particles when I shine a light on the still head). I've collected a 'golden water' each time, that smells sweet (no stinking menstruum!) which I'm assuming is mostly acetone with a little oil.

Because of the lack of red fume, I wondered if it might be my equipment not getting hot enough, although on my first run I managed to 'melt' a borosilicate flask... so I decided today to try pyrolysis of cayenne to see if I can get a similar result to this:

https://www.transcendenceworks.com/p...-distillation/

Sure enough, I'm about 8 hours in and have copious amounts of white smoke, just like in the video, with my mantle on setting 4.5/10, and yes, it really STINKS!

So, my question out there to alchemy forums is: has anyone DD'd lead acetate, or any other acetate, and managed to get fumes in any way similar to the above video?

Thanks for any helpful comments.

Ami
    The video link shows dry distillation of herbs following Hollandus, and as you have seen in your own experiment you do get products as Hollandus described. Hollandus gives pretty good details on working Pb with vinegar in his Work of Saturn. There he does not describe the same products as with his vegetable operas.

Ripley describes products quite similar to what Hollandus described for the dry distillation of plants. Many experiments have been done over the years attempting to get the products Ripley describes by assuming his Sericon is Pb. I believe Rubaphilos had a very detailed experiment with many photos of his work following Ripley with the interpretation that Sericon was Pb.

To get products as described by Ripley consider Sericon to be of vegetable origin.

I have never worked Pb with vinegar. I have worked it with urine as part of a larger labor. If I was going to attempt an acetate path with Pb I would follow Hollandus Work of Saturn.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Amicus Nachash View Post

I've now completed 3 DD's of lead acetate (I'm interested in the acetate path) using a couple of heat sources and different speeds of raising the heat. I've not seen any red fume, only the white (well actually, I don't see any 'smoke', just faint ionized particles when I shine a light on the still head).
    May I ask what was the source of your lead acetate? You made it out of lead metal? Sometimes if it comes form a natural source it may have "impuritites" in it that can alter the result.

Hi z0 K

I'll go back to Hollandus' text and study some more

I am somewhat familiar with Rubaphilos' work but I could not find that experiment detailed here on the forum - do you have a link?

Kindly
    Ami

PS. I'm still not getting email notifications of posts to this thread, even though I have them switched on, so I apologize for the delay in my reponses.

Hi theFool

I made the lead acetate from lead carbonate derived from roofing lead plates (a la Hollandus) and dilute acetic acid.

Ami

+ Reply to Thread