Patrons of the Sacred Art

Can't log in? Contact Us

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Above & Below WHAT?

Blog Entries
    Nevermind

Blog Entries
    Why speak in riddles? Either speak out or don’t speak at all.

At least that is how I feel about it...

Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Awani View Post
    Why speak in riddles?

But really, I kind of wanted wanted to "probe" to what extent people are willing to think/see outside the more "mainstream" narratives...

But no worries, I shall expand and elaborate more, in due time...

Blog Entries
    Speaking in riddles equates in my world to master suppression techniques [MST], which is somewhat common in the alchemical community as well as in certain guru communities. Silence is one thing, but implying knowing without revealing the knowing is snakeoil salesman tactics. I see this in many threads in the forum and elsewhere.

Interestingly (according to a study at Stockholm University) a countermeasure to MST is to question it... i.e. my post.

MST - withholiding information
    When a group or individual withholds information, or addresses important issues, when certain individuals are not present or privy to the complete picture, this master suppression technique is exercised.

So what do you think is below the Above and above the Below?

Donít let the delusion of reality confuse you regarding the reality of the illusion.

The first English review of Dom AJ Pernety's which appeared in the 1770's gives a pretty decent answer as to why riddles, in my opinion:

MEM. IV. Concerning the Custom of proposing Riddles, to be solved, and its Observation, both by Ancients and Moderns. By Dom Pernetty.

In this Memoir, in which there is more erudition and labour, than accuracy and order, we learn that, among the ancients, the Egyptians, Phenicians, Hebrews, Greeks, and other civilized nations, conveyed truths of all kinds under the cover of riddles, hieroglyphics, and symbols: that the learned, or the heads of these nations, followed this practice, either through singularity of taste, or to give a certain air of importance and solemnity to their discourses, or to make an ostentatious display of their inventive genius and subtility, or to conceal from the people the secrets both of science and government, and to maintain their own importance by keeping these hidden treasures in their own hands, and covering them with a veil of mystery, that rendered them doubly the objects of ignorant and superstitious veneration. Some of these motives, and perhaps all of them, jointly occasioned the invention, and perpetuated the use of enigmatical and symbolical erudition, according to Dom Pernetty; and modern Rome, if we are not mistaken, has known how to avail itself of this manner of keeping the multitude in subjection, as well as ancient Egypt.-—The Academician pours forth a treasure of well-known erudition and trite reflexions on this subject, passes in review the characters and courts of Hermes Trismegistus, Solomon, and the queen of Sheba, and marks the period (even the conquests of Cambyses in Egypt) when the Egyptian arts, sciences, and symbols were carried into Greece and elsewhere by the scattered priests, and laid the foundation for those superstitious absurdities, that overfiowed the earth for so many ages, and are not yet entirely effaced. He shews that God, and his attributes, Nature, and her operations, were often the secret and sublime objects of these enigmatical fictions. He points out the necessity of distinguishing four sorts of enigmatical, or hieroglyphical writing, in order to come at the true knowledge of the wisdom and science of the Egyptians: he explains the doctrine of the transmigration, as Pythagoras derived it from the Egyptians, the nature of the famous sphinx, which he considers as the riddle itself, or the symbol of the riddle, which it is said to have proposed. He shews the use made of riddles at the convivial meetings of the ancients; but says little or nothing of the place they hold in modern times, in the scale of wit and pleasure. -

Quote Originally Posted by Andro View Post

But really, I kind of wanted wanted to "probe" to what extent people are willing to think/see outside the more "mainstream" narratives...

But no worries, I shall expand and elaborate more, in due time...
    When you ask a question that seems naive, I would not call you the Riddler, but "Socrates"!

Blog Entries
    Speaking in riddles equates in my world to master suppression techniques [MST] [...] Interestingly (according to a study at Stockholm University) a countermeasure to MST is to question it.
    Then you might as well start questioning all alchemical authors since the beginning of recorded time...

So what do you think is below the Above and above the Below?

X Marks The Spot

PS: Thanks Coleridgean

PPS:
    Quote Originally Posted by zoas23 View Post
    When you ask a question that seems naive, I would not call you the Riddler, but "Socrates"!
    Whatevs, darling

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zoas23 View Post
    Get a room.

Quote Originally Posted by Andro View Post
    Then you might as well start questioning all alchemical authors since the beginning of recorded time...
    I am.

Andro - why that would be the figure-8 version of the Ouroboros, except in the three-dimensional form of a special alembic.

+ Reply to Thread