Patrons of the Sacred Art

Can't log in? Contact Us

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: The Phonetic Cabala

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Florius Frammel View Post
    The phonetic cabala wasn't as popular in German texts.
    Here's an example of German "Phonetic Cabala"... Well, not really , but interesting "wordplay" IMO nevertheless...

Very Important

Quote Originally Posted by Andro View Post
    Here's an example of German "Phonetic Cabala"... Well, not really , but interesting "wordplay" IMO nevertheless...

Very Important
    I like it...Gravitas, similar meaning in latin
    Peace and LVX

Frater L.R.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LeoRetilus View Post
    I like it...Gravitas, similar meaning in Latin
    Thanks, Leo

Irregardless of what is thought of me, I want you all to know that I love you all very dearly!! You are deeply loved
    Peace and LVX

Frater L.R.

Ill leave you with these words a friend of mine on this forum once wrote:

Some people are addicted to their books, other to their workshops. In the end, words, and exchanges of words, will do little to change each one's natural bent. Let everything reach its predestined terminus. Let acorns grow into mighty oaks, and let them then wither and die in due time, offering up their best essence to the holy work which is to come."
    Peace and LVX

Frater L.R.

Quote Originally Posted by Warmheart View Post
    Dark Night of the Soul looks like modern (l.e. implemented a couple centuries ago) semi-psychological interpretation of some processes. Nox Atra Animae, Nox Nigra Spiriti - there aren't even any of such or similar terms in "classic" European texts.
    As far as I know, it's by Juan de la Cruz (often "John of the Cross" in English)... though he never wrote literally "dark night of the soul", but simply used the idea of a "dark night" (but the addition of "of the soul" is not a weird modernism, since Juan is certainly talking about his soul). So it's from the XVI century. On the other hand, Juan de la Cruz was not involved with alchemy (I think Jung used some of his ideas in modern times for his "psychological alchemy", though I am not a Jung enthusiast, so I am not 100% sure).

However, the idea can be found in several alchemical texts without an explicit mention of the literal phrase "dark night of the soul"... The Aureum Seculum of Madathanus begins with a tale about himself in which he has found the "true matter" and it is black and pestilent, but he had no idea of which one is the "next step"... so he spends 5 years stuck in the nigredo phase.

Other than that, I think most of the riddles are not truly phonetic... but work somehow like the tricks of the stage magicians. I.e, in the Hermetic Arcanum:

" Let the form of the Furnace be round, the inward altitude of two feet or thereabouts, in the midst whereof an Iron or Brazen plate must be set, of a round Figure, about the thickness of a Penknife's back, in a manner possessing the interior latitude of the Furnace, but a little narrower than it, lest it touch the walls; it must lean upon three or four props of Iron fixed to the walls, and let it be full of holes, that the heat may be the more easily carried upwards by them, and between the sides of the Furnace and the Plate. Below the Plate let there be a little door left, and another above in the walls of the Furnace, that by the Lower the Fire may be put in, and by the higher the temperament of the heat may be sensibly perceived; at the opposite part whereof let there be a little window of the Figure of a Rhomboid fortified with glass, that the light over against it may shew the colours to the eye. Upon the middle of the aforesaid plate, let the Tripod of secrets be placed with a double Vessel. Lastly, let the Furnace be very well covered with a shell or covering agreeable unto it, and take care that the little doors be always closely shut, lest the heat escape."

... I see a lot of tricks there, but none of them is truly phonetic (i.e, the furnace obviously doesn't have a window made out of glass, nor there is any logic that would make a rhomboid window work better than a circular one or a window with any other shape... thus he obviously means crystals that take the shape of rhomboids and look somehow like glass... and he is not talking about a window)... but that's a somehow random example.

+ Reply to Thread