Patrons of the Sacred Art

Can't log in? Contact Us

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Collecting Dew

Question Collecting Dew

So far as goes I've been trying to find ways to collect dew, enough for alchemical work or an 'elixir' but its very hard. I've tried to find dehumidifiers but nearly every single one requires being plugged into an outlet, and the ones who don't use moisture absorbing beads (You cannot collect dew from them).

How would I go about this? I also live in a relatively unclean ghetto suburb or close to an urban area but where there is vegetation and areas with grass including around my unit. I've also looked into buying Dew in bottles but cannot find any place that sells it.

There are many possibilities.

You could use deliquescent salts. Sometimes they are sold in hardware stores in dehumidifying devices like these:

I can recommend Calcium Chloride. It's hygroscopic as frick and not that corrosive like for example KOH most people seem to use.

After quite some time it so full of water that the solution becomes liquid. To get the dew you would have to distill it from the salts, but they can be reused afterwards.

Another good method was first described here by JDP or Illen (correct me if I'm wrong). You can use plastic( not glass!) bottles, fill them with water and freeze them. You could hang some outside and put bowls below them to collect the drops.

You could also think about and test different conditions of collection.

Day/night only collections
    Natural air humidity
    Season
    Temperature (high or low, especially with the freezing method)

Just a few examples I also planned sometime, but haven't done yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Florius Frammel View Post
    Another good method was first described here by JDP or Illen (correct me if I'm wrong). You can use plastic( not glass!) bottles, fill them with water and freeze them. You could hang some outside and put bowls below them to collect the drops.
    Does plastic differ from glass in the amount of dew collected, or is plastic being used here for another purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by KnowledgeSeeker View Post
    So far as goes I've been trying to find ways to collect dew..
    How much dew are you wanting to collect?

What is your plan once enough dew has been collected?

Quote Originally Posted by Schmuldvich View Post
    Does plastic differ from glass in the amount of dew collected, or is plastic being used here for another purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by Schmuldvich View Post

How much dew are you wanting to collect?

What is your plan once enough dew has been collected?
    To use it in alchemical work as outlined in several sources I've found through research (Can't remember because I've been so focused on finding how to get Dew) or experiment with making the historical elixirs to get the hang of its uses.

Atleast enough for working with materials in most alchemical works.

You could use deliquescent salts. Sometimes they are sold in hardware stores in dehumidifying devices like these:

I can recommend Calcium Chloride. It's hygroscopic as frick and not that corrosive like for example KOH most people seem to use.

After quite some time it so full of water that the solution becomes liquid. To get the dew you would have to distill it from the salts, but they can be reused afterwards.

Natural air humidity
    Season

Would it be the same Dew used for alchemical work you are instructed to collect from the atmosphere or possibly referred to as 'the peacock's tail' though? Just wanted a little clarification on especially the freezing part.

Quote Originally Posted by KnowledgeSeeker View Post
    Would it be the same Dew used for alchemical work you are instructed to collect from the atmosphere or possibly referred to as 'the peacock's tail' though? Just wanted a little clarification on especially the freezing part.
    I think the peacock's tale has nothing to do with dew collection.
    Most alchemists said that dew is merely a deckname for something else.
    Many have worked with it though. There are many examples and book recommendations for dew work in these forums.

I heard RAMS seems to be full of recipies, but I never looked at those there.

If using the plastic bottle method or JDPs one what aspect of it would I be collecting which would constitute the same substances as 'dew'? May be useful I guess still. I mean if it was the ice that forms on the bottle wouldn't that be the same as regular water?

Natural air humidity
    Season

Sorry, what I meant to ask again was would I need to wipe away anything on the surface of the frozen water within the said plastic bottle before hanging it in order to ensure its the dew rather than water from the freezer? And plus would just putting it in a bowl on the ground work?

Will it still work if I live in an apartment that has a sizeable balcony also?

I don't understand the part with the wiping away on the surface of the water within the plastic bottle.

Your other questions: Why not? I guess you know what to do to find it out, don't you?

Hi, KnowledgeSeeker, maybe you can use a large surface of extended Plastic, without it touching the ground.
    in the center of plastic, you could gather some liters of unpolluted dew

+ Reply to Thread