Patrons of the Sacred Art

Can't log in? Contact Us

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Crucibles versus Sealed Flasks

Crucibles versus Sealed Flasks

In the traditional mineral work, I've often heard it said that the Dry Way uses crucibles while the Wet Way uses sealed flasks. Is this actually true?

If not, do you know of any specific references that suggest otherwise?

Thanks.

Hi Illen!

I guess that depends where you look at. I know you are interested in a certain lineage that's why I quote from there.
    The true old natural way by ICH for example says the dry way is the universal undetermined way with "mercury" only and the way of the poor. The wet way uses gold and is also called the short way and determined because of the use of gold. Philaletes also says this is not the true way.

The beginning (the first rotation) is the same in both ways according to ICH. The second rotation in the wet way deals with vulgar gold, that must not be calcinated with vulgar fire, but with the secret fire which is cold according to the text.

The dry way needs a certain vulgar fire, but not "too hot", because the hermetical bird would flee. I guess Hermetic Recreations even gives an exact temperature in the old values of Réamur, if we can assume that both speak about the same path but could be because of all the similarities.

According to the title of the true and old natural way the "universal" tincture is made without "glasses". Probably he here meant the dry way and the way of the poor. As shown above we know the temperature in that way in Réamur. But the wet way doesn't seem to need high temperatures either because of it's said instruction on the calcination of vulgar gold in the second rotation.

In conclusion (confusion?) in both ways no crucibles seem to be needed ("Hermes doesn't use coals"). And at least in the dry way not even glasses according to the christian hermetic ICH.

But as this lineage is your main interest, you probably already know that.

Another very interesting view (by JDP) about the transmutation claim "via sicca" by a certain "Schweitzer"(Helvetius) with useful sources can be found here:

http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showt...tius#post42290

But you had been involved in that discussion so I assume you already know that too.

Maybe it is better you first define what you mean with "traditional mineral work"! Do you mean chymical, or alchemical work?
    Last edited by Florius Frammel; 06-23-2019 at 08:00 AM.

Hi FF! Good to hear from you again! Thanks for the informative response!

By "traditional mineral work", I was specifically referring to the work using actual minerals, not specifically plant or animal matter, or the more modern "inner work" (self improvement).

Also, I'm referring to the ALchemical work, not the ARchemical, or chymical work involving specifics.

+ Reply to Thread