Patrons of the Sacred Art

Can't log in? Contact Us

OPEN TO REGISTER: Click HERE if you want to join Alchemy Forums!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Salt & Water

I absolutely was not trying to cast doubt on the veracity of the alchemical side of the experiment you mentioned. In fact the guy I mentioned did apparently succeed with the process I mentioned in the last post.

But I think it is fair to say that in alchemy, we do use more basic chemistry to open the door for most experiments. And before alchemical things start happening, it is more mundane chemical things. But if someone has no knowledge of what should happen chemically, then they have a less chance of identifying when the alchemical things start happening.

For example if a person has no idea of what the properties of common NaCl or sea salt are, and he heats it and it mysteriously sublimates to the top of his alembic, he might think this is normal, but obviously NaCl does not sublimate. It merely melts. So the said person might have completely overlooked that he had enlivened his salts, thinking nothing of it. That was the only point I was trying to make.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crestind View Post
    In fact the guy I mentioned did apparently succeed with the process I mentioned in the last post.
    Can't say I'm shocked with surprise if this indeed is the case

Quote Originally Posted by crestind View Post
    For example if a person has no idea of what the properties of common NaCl or sea salt are, and he heats it and it mysteriously sublimates to the top of his alembic, he might think this is normal, but obviously NaCl does not sublimate. It merely melts. So the said person might have completely overlooked that he had enlivened his salts, thinking nothing of it. That was the only point I was trying to make.
    My background in chemistry is close to non-existent, but luckily I have a few friends who have it. I am slowly catching up on Aether Physics, though

I made some interesting looking salt formations with this method. Let me present the

"Star Regulus of Vitriol" - here the Copper Sulfate did not climb the walls at all.

"The tree (hedgerow) of Vitriol"

Note the gap between the hedgerow and the bottom of the flask. The crystals started to form only minutes after I put water to the vitriol again in a distance of about 1 cm above the liquid surface out of an unsaturated(!) solution.

I did not observe this in other rounds, or S&C experiments before. Usually it looks like THIS.

I am not aware of any chemistry, chymistry, or alchemy book that deals with the examination of the conditions that lead to these kinds of formations. If you happen to know anything about this, please share! Thanks!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Andro; 10-25-2019 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Emphasize link.

Blog Entries
    Table salt mixed into solution and allowed to dry in a windowsill slowly since I read the first thread on this post:

This phenomenon seems to happen because of capillary action as the solution evaporates at certain temperatures. I've seen salt do all sorts of odd things, like forming a skin on the solution of my water bath (salt was added so I could get higher temperatures without getting too hot to scald my herb in the boiling flask).

The generic theory is that the liquid dries and crystalizes the salt on the walls of the container, and the dry mass absorbs more from solution, then repeat. It is most curious that there are times in the process, even with the one in the picture where a gap forms between the waterline and the crystalized "climbing" salts.

It's curious indeed and easier to notice after boiling the salts down a few times. They seem to become more loose with impurity and smaller sediment size.

This is a rather cold demonstration of the effect. I don't mean to downplay it, as it may be pointing to something greater, but you needn't solve-et-coagula seven times to see the effect. One curious note. That salt in the picture is only growing on the side of the glass facing away from the sun.

Pretty pictures! Thanks for sharing.

Florius Frammel I've never seen anything like that. It is a pretty blue and the way it grows looks like a blue coral.

Dragon's Tail that is a pretty white salt. Have you tasted it? Does it sparkle? Also that is interesting that it is only growing on the side of the glass facing away from the sun.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
    Pretty pictures! Thanks for sharing.

Florius Frammel I've never seen anything like that. It is a pretty blue and the way it grows looks like a blue coral.

Dragon's Tail that is a pretty white salt. Have you tasted it? Does it sparkle? Also that is interesting that it is only growing on the side of the glass facing away from the sun.
    It's...table salt. It's exactly like table salt.

Oops, my mistake. :/

Blog Entries
    I believe there is now some scientific findings that directly relate to the events as they occur in these alchemical flasks. A fourth state of water (or fifth is you count some of the other newly discovered states) called EZ Water (Exclusion Zone Water) which is basically, the tendency for water to accumulate charge when in contact with hydroscopic things (such as some of our favourite salts). Basically, it is a phase somewhere in between ice and water, where the negatively charged water particles create a voltage gradient around the hydroscopic particles.

I think you will find (And here is my generous tip my climbing-salt loving friends) that IR light will greatly contribute in the layers of EZ water being created in the water.

I could go on further but you're all adults and now that you know the name you can go and have a look yourselves. Its very interesting stuff actually. People were even successful at creating electricity using sunlight and water ALONE just using the aforesaid voltage gradient.

Happy climbing.
    Join me; on a voyage of stupidity, and self discovery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=vccZSHroTG4

Blog Entries
    This "EZ" water works with hydrophilic materials, not "hydroscopic". A Hydroscope is a device you use to see underwater.

Last edited by Andro; 12-27-2019 at 09:47 AM.

Yes,
    and most hydrophilic substances are also hygroscopic!

+ Reply to Thread